Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: any 444 encore shooters

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range. txpete's Avatar

any 444 encore shooters

looking for some data for a 270 gr gc (RD) cast bullet.I don't need a heavy load I am think 1700 fps or so for pigs.where we hunt a 50 yard is about max.
    thanks
    pete

Boolit Master

I have been using 42 gr 4198 with a Saeco 265 gr. RN GC. It shoots well in a 14" Contender barrel...dale

Boolit Mold
    I shoot a 444 Marlin in my Contender. I have 3 barrels -- a 10", 14" and 21" The 10" and 14" are .44 Magnum rebores. The 21" is factory.

I use a 240 gr. SWC (429421) with 4-5 gr. of Unique. I don't hunt but just shoot paper targets at 50 and 100 yards. I also use a 180 gr. WC (429348) with the same load. I lube the bullets with alox.

Boolit Master
    Try 32 grains of XMP5744 and light it with a CCI200 primer .

This is what I would call a nice medium load and I knocked the fire out of a couple deer with it during the 2008 deer season in Virginia !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Mold
    I have shot a 444 Marlin in the Contender for years now and have shot only one load, in half a dozen diffrent barrels, with great success....

Mine are Super 14's, 44 mag. rechambered to the 444 Marlin.

My favorite (and only) load for the 444 is:

CASE: Remington nickel plated 444 Marlin
    PRIMER: Fed. 210 BR
    POWDER: H-4895 53.0gr.
    BULLET: Hornady 300gr. XTP
    VELOCITY: 2200 fps.
    ACCURACY: 3 - shot groups at 100 yards, 1 inch or less
    COMMENTS: I have taken 9 deer and 23 hogs with the Contender in 444 Marlin, not to mention the truckload of coyotes and armadillos.... One of my customers has taken two elk! Another customer has taken an 11 foot bear! And another customer has taken a very large Caribou!

I would say that the 444 Marlin is a worthy opponent to carry on ones side.

One suggestion! let me put a muzzle brake on the barrel for you if you do not have one on it. The 444 is an awesome performer in a handgun but the recoil can be quite fierce! Also, do NOT shoot this caliber with a Pachmayr grip! You will need to stay with the T/C Competitor wood grip that has the rubber insert.....

If you do not have a 6-screw base, let me put one of those on for you too....

Just trying to help! I've had a lot of experiance with the 444 and know alot of the do's and don'ts

ADISONPOL

Don't own an Encore, but do have a Handirifle in 444.

My goto load is 46.5gr of H4895 with a 290gr Lee Group Buy mold known as the "Wide Fat 44"(early 2007). I get 1800 fps with a 22" barrel. My shootin bud loves that load. Won't beat you to death, but it really makes things happen.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXPilgrim View Post
    Don't own an Encore, but do have a Handirifle in 444.

My goto load is 46.5gr of H4895 with a 290gr Lee Group Buy mold known as the "Wide Fat 44"(early 2007). I get 1800 fps with a 22" barrel. My shootin bud loves that load. Won't beat you to death, but it really makes things happen.

Hey could you possibly post a picture of that bullet or maybe a drawing of it ? Also is it a gascheck bullet ?

Just curiouse to see what it looks like !

Why absolutely.

I think this was the first group but I got in on, I hadn't even started pouring lead yet. I had neck surgery & was sitting at home, bored & on pain-killers. That's how it all started for me...

BTW, that one that's "dressed for success" weighed 293.2gr. I have to seat in the first groove from the nose in my Handi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FatWide44.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXPilgrim View Post
    Why absolutely.

I think this was the first group but I got in on, I hadn't even started pouring lead yet. I had neck surgery & was sitting at home, bored & on pain-killers. That's how it all started for me...

BTW, that one that's "dressed for success" weighed 293.2gr. I have to seat in the first groove from the nose in my Handi.
    That bullet looks very similar to the group buy bullet "Boomer Mikey" made for his 434-330GC that eneded up actually weighing 315 grains .

Thanks !

Boolit Master in Heavens Range.
    Quote Originally Posted by adisonpol View Post
    I have shot a 444 Marlin in the Contender for years now and have shot only one load, in half a dozen diffrent barrels, with great success....

Mine are Super 14's, 44 mag. rechambered to the 444 Marlin.

My favorite (and only) load for the 444 is:

CASE: Remington nickel plated 444 Marlin
    PRIMER: Fed. 210 BR
    POWDER: H-4895 53.0gr.
    BULLET: Hornady 300gr. XTP
    VELOCITY: 2200 fps.
    ACCURACY: 3 - shot groups at 100 yards, 1 inch or less
    COMMENTS: I have taken 9 deer and 23 hogs with the Contender in 444 Marlin, not to mention the truckload of coyotes and armadillos.... One of my customers has taken two elk! Another customer has taken an 11 foot bear! And another customer has taken a very large Caribou!

I would say that the 444 Marlin is a worthy opponent to carry on ones side.

One suggestion! let me put a muzzle brake on the barrel for you if you do not have one on it. The 444 is an awesome performer in a handgun but the recoil can be quite fierce! Also, do NOT shoot this caliber with a Pachmayr grip! You will need to stay with the T/C Competitor wood grip that has the rubber insert.....

If you do not have a 6-screw base, let me put one of those on for you too....

Just trying to help! I've had a lot of experiance with the 444 and know alot of the do's and don'ts

ADISONPOL
    I agree with the above. I have blown the Pachmeyer forend off mine three times. The screw can't handle the recoil!

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    That bullet looks very similar to the group buy bullet "Boomer Mikey" made for his 434-330GC that eneded up actually weighing 315 grains .

Thanks !
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7753

This is the group buy that it came from (couldn't stand it & had to look it up). 45 2.1 has a drawing in post #4 and "357Maximum" was the honcho. This back in the good old days - a Lee group buy that closed 12-8-06 and all the molds were shipped (from the honcho) on 2-14-07. Not bad, huh?

I have a Win 94 44mag that I wanted this mold for, it shoots better in a Handi 444 and the Win 94 shoots better with the Lee 310gr RF.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a Contender 14" in 444 Marlin. I won't guote my loads of IMR4198 and the 265 gr. Hornady, but it was a vveeerryyy hot load. Also shot the 310 gr Lee FRN.

I tried other powders with Reloder 7 working well. IMR 4895 did not give me the accuracy of 4198. Used WC680 with the Lyman 225Gr. GC with sucess for a good light load.