Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22cal 64gr Winchester PP in a 1-14 twist barrel?

Boolit Grand Master

I use it in a factory Contender carbine barrel in 223. I don't remember the exact twist, but it is not a fast twist.
    Accurracy is very good . Have only shot it to about 300 yards with excellent results.

Boolit Master

I have some Nosler 60 grain partition bullets that I've used. They're good too, but some rifles like them and some don't. I have a .220 Swift Remington that just won't group 'em well with any load I've tried so far.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

stephen perry

This 22-250 Thread is a Retrofit some of the same Posters Again

First I have a feeling about bullets. You can make any bullet of that caliber shoot in your barrel. Might not be the best choice but if you find the right zone meaning twist, powder, seating depth, and primer that sucka will shoot.

Since the night before series of insults and bad behavior I went through I went out and traded my smith 4 boxes of his Sierra 63 grn Spitzers for 2 boxes of my custom 22's I make in Rorschach dies that I make. His are sealed Sierra bullet boxes some made in Santa Fe Springs, So Cal the others in Sedalia, Missouri. He has 3 more opened boxes. I'll make him another box of my gems and take the other 3 boxes. He has no use for the 63's except fire forming for his Rem .223 he just barreled.

Since I'm a sucker for a challenge I will make these Sierra 63's shoot in my 1-9 twist 22-250 Remington ADL. As I spoke earlier I had 20 rds of Sierra 53 grn bullets go sideways through my target osing my 22-250 before my Range Master buddy told me to check the twist. I assumed I had a 1-14 which I have 5 or 6 barrels 1-14 in 22 cals found out I have 1-9 twist.

So guy I have never used anything smaller than a .270 on deer but some do go with 22-250 with good results. Now the USC-UCLA game nite all.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Smile

Shouldn't be any problem getting them to shoot in a 9" twist .22-250. It'd be more challenging in the 12" and probably really tough in a 14".
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

I had a Remington 788 223 1/14" and it would not shoot a 60gr. I never tried a 64gr.

Boolit Man
    I tried the 64 grain Winchester PP in my .22-250. They were not as accurate as my 55 grain loads, but they seemed to be well stabilized. I have a 14 inch twist. I didn't try them at 300 yards, so I cannot speak to their stability at the longer ranges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12