RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22cal 64gr Winchester PP in a 1-14 twist barrel?

Boolit Master

22cal 64gr Winchester PP in a 1-14 twist barrel?

Back in the days before I reloaded, I can recall using a box of factory ammo loaded with these in my 22-250. In those days I was dumb and not very observant, and I can not remember how they worked or how accuracy was.

So, do these bullets work in a 1-14 twist barrel at 22-250 velocities? I just want to try a heaver bullet for deer hunting. Opinions and first hand experience on this bullet and other 22cal bullets for medium sized game will be appreciated.

P.S. Yes I have tried both the 45gr and the 53gr Barnes X bullets, and had accuracy problems with both.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Back in the days before I reloaded, I can recall using a box of factory ammo loaded with these in my 22-250. In those days I was dumb and not very observant, and I can not remember how they worked or how accuracy was.

So, do these bullets work in a 1-14 twist barrel at 22-250 velocities? I just want to try a heaver bullet for deer hunting. Opinions and first hand experience on this bullet and other 22cal bullets for medium sized game will be appreciated.

P.S. Yes I have tried both the 45gr and the 53gr Barnes X bullets, and had accuracy problems with both.
    Don't do it. I had a friend that had a 22-250 his wouldn't shoot the Sierra 64 gr semi point which is a bullet that sometimes worked in a fast twist. At the velocity you'd push that 64 gr out of the 22-250, even if it did expand, it would act like a varmint bullet. Get a proper caliber rifle for deer, they deserve to be killed humanely when hunting them.

Joe

I tried those things in a 1:12 .223 with very poor results. 55-grain ball was fairly accurate in the 1:12, but any slug that was longer was just a waste of time. I got my best results with that twist using 50-grain soft points before I found out about home cast. Now I do well firing a gas checked Bator from that gun. It's a stubby little 55-grain round nose that seems to like the slow twists. 65-70 grain in that caliber usually likes to see a 1:10 twist or faster.

Personally, I think that bullet is a bit too small for deer, unless they're coues deer or something like that. I don't think that .22's are legal on deer in very many places. You might want to check on that.

Have you slugged your barrel yet?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

In Remembrance

22 centerfire is legal for deer in Texas. We have taken many, many deer with 22-250, 223, and 222. Good shot placement is necessary, but is also necessary with 30 cal. and others. A 55gr. Sierra SP will shoot through both lungs and the heart and either go through or be found just under the hide on the off side.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    I have loaded that bullet for my 22-250 and accuracy is as good as the bulk Rem 55 gr PSP Corelokt. My 2¢

The Barnes X bullets are too long for 14 twist.
    Last edited by oneokie; 11-26-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: add more info.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master

I've shot that bullet in factory .223 before. It is a semi-point. I had accuracy in my 1/14 rifle. Speer makes a 70 grainer that will shoot in the slower twists. It is pretty blunt ,too. That's the way they get those heavier slugs to stabilize in the slower twists. BTW, that speer will go all the way through a medium size hog!
    Both those bullets were expressly made for larger than normal game hunting with a .22. I now use the Sierra 65 grain Gameking some, but I had to use a 1/12 rifle for it .
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

I have used the 64gr winchester Powerpoint in a 22-6mm wildcat. the rifle is a rechambered 700 VLS in 22-250 with a 1-15 twist. The first thing I did was to wieght sort the bullets they usually have 2-3 groups of wieghts .5 grain apart. by wieght sorting my groups went from 1.5 inches to 3/4 inch at 100yds. I have taken deer out to 275 yards with this bullet going 3665 fps. Inside 150 yd the deer drop. I have punched a rib on entrance, and had a exit thru a rib. past 150 yds they run about 30 yds and fall over dead. Use it for clean broadsibe shots and you will be pleased.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    Get a proper caliber rifle for deer, they deserve to be killed humanely when hunting them.

Joe
    A 22-250 has plenty of stopping power for deer. Bullet placement is key (as it is with any caliber). I would not hunt with a 22-250 if I thought I was causing an inhumane death. All the deer I have shot with it have dropped in there tracks, they act like a bolt of lightning hits them.

Banned
    A 22-250 has plenty of stopping power for deer. Bullet placement is key (as it is with any caliber). I would not hunt with a 22-250 if I thought I was causing an inhumane death. All the deer I have shot with it have dropped in there tracks, they act like a bolt of lightning hits them.
    That's what the 22-250 is the number one big game rifle caliber in the world!!!!

Joe

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    That's what the 22-250 is the number one big game rifle caliber in the world!!!!

Joe

Ha… Ha… Do I detect a little sarcasm?

If velocity where everything the 22-250 would be an excellent big game caliber. Sadly both of us know that is not the case. However I have never considered deer big game.

64gr bullet will not stabilize to long ranges. May or may not shoot OK at short range but will open up groups past 350 yards or so. Even if it appeared to shoot on a given day out to 200 yards or so with a weather change to cold dense air that could go awry. Even in a 55 grain you're better off with a flat base design to keep bullet short. I'm making some assumptions here but I do know for a fact that 1-12” twist 223 rifles with 26 inch barrels sending 55 gr SBT at 3,300 fps will shoot great out to short of ¼ mile then go unstable and maybe shoot into 6” circle at 400 yards. For prairie dogs you'll shoot a lot of bullets before you make a hit with a 6” pattern. If you hit a deer or other heavy animal with an unstable bullet. Even if it's still on target. You'll get a yaw then frag. Just like an M193 ball round. Which by the way works very well on many applications.

In my 12” twist 223 guns I favor the Speer 55 grain hot core or Hornady 55 gr SP both with canalure to help hold the core. I shoot the Speer 50 grain flat base from 223 26” HB at coyotes. At short range a Nosler ballistic tip is better since they don't penetrate all the way though so you have a better hide. But past 350 yards the Nosler or blitz type bullets do not penetrate enough for clean kills on yotes. So I reserve the Nosler BT and my favorite Sierra Blitz King 50 gr bullets for prairie dogs. Which even at my longest recorded shot of 550 yards seam to explode before penetrating the hide of a little rat.

You picked a good bullet but it will not work in a 14 twist. IMO. You might try the Sierra 55 gr SBT Game King but I think you'd be better served staying with a flat base 55 grain. Flat base will be more stabel when it hits thus penatrate straighter. If your 22 bullet yaws it will explode. I have my own personal favorites but then I've not shoot deer with them. Illinois being a shotgun state I use a 45 caliber muzzle loader. I feel a 22 HV with the right bullet will kill deer much better than a 45 smoke pole. For sure do a better job than any archery setup. Just don't get to worried about the 9 grains difference between the Win 64 and a 55 grain bullet. Find a bullet at least advertised to be a deep penetrator. Sierra has such simple names like Game King Match King and Varminter but people still choose their light jacketed bullet to hunt big game instead of the Game King line. Then of course declare with authority an XX caliber isn't big enough for the job.

If you've a larger caliber gun available I'd use it but if you're stuck with a 22 them find a good bullet.
    Speer or Hornady at under 60 grains. I've a pile of 65 grain Sierra SBT Game King that shoot companion to 69 gr Match King in my 9 twist HB AR that I like very much. But you are very much limited with the 14 twist when you try turning a 22 into a deer rifle. It's a very thin line. I'd whole heartedly recommend an M-193 ball bullet but FMJ is probably not legal. I had a co worker that tried a 55 gr fmj for yotes from a 22-250 thinking it would do less hide damage. ha ah. It blew out a grapefruit sized hole. With a 14 twist they punch through with little energy loss for 3 1/2 inches then explode upon yaw. On a yote that fragmentation is just under the far side hide. Narley mess.

Banned
    Ha… Ha… Do I detect a little sarcasm?

If velocity where everything the 22-250 would be an excellent big game caliber. Sadly both of us know that is not the case. However I have never considered deer big game.
    Ya like that one?

Joe

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I have a 22/250AI with a 14 twist barrel. It will shoot 63 grain Berger HP into an inch at 300 meters. Anything longer that that it won't shoot at all. I tried some 69 grain Nosler HPBT and they shot a group a bit bigger than a peice of A4 paper at 100 yards. My rifle has a bit of a silly combination of a long throat to shoot long bullets and the 1/14 twist to shoot short ones. I think that if the throat was shorter, it would do even better than it does now with the 40 grainers.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master

Probably worked OK ☺ Otherwise you would have remembered!
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Master
    56/57 custom is about it in a 1/14......remember is it bullet length, not weight. some plastic tipped 55's dont do well...cause they are too long.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

I have an AR15 with a 1/8 twist that shoots real well with Horn.68 gr BTHP but hates smaller Wt,'s (50-60 gr). I have a Ar with 1/12 that shoots 34 grs hp Well, at 150-225 yds Colorado Prairie Dogs don,t think it's funny at all! Booooom

In 22-250, 1/14, I use 50gr Vmax and it will shoot .311 ,5 shot groups all day long, if the pilot does his part. It will shoot 55 ok and larger not so much.

I am sorry for talking J-word bullits on the site, but I was trying to help with the twist question. As with all of this stuff, your gun many do something difference.

Banned
    I have an AR15 Colt HBAR with the 1-7 twist and it shoots all bullet weights accurately. My opinion....it depends on the particular gun and my opinion....the fast twist thing is very over rated...or in my words kind of mythy.

Might add it shoots cast pretty decent too and not low velocity loads.

Joe

StarMetal, would you share load info for AR's. Powder,bullits,ect Thanks, for casts

Boolit Master
    There's only one way to be sure:

Try it!

And as to the humane kills on deer ........ the deer in Texas are not the big 'ole lunkers that hang out in Midwestern corn fields.

If it works for you .... that's all that matters.

Three 44s

The deer that I killed with the 64gr Winchester Power Point were mature Missouri does, i would guess 150 # on the hoof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast