WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: excellant deer sausage recipe ----

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat Keeper View Post
    Depends on what type of sausage you talkin about pamrick. Some dry cure sausages will keep a longitme with no cold just like a virginia dry cure ham. Others for only a couple of days in the frige. But I've kept fresh venison country style sausage in the freezer for 4-5 months without any problems and that was before I got my vacuum packager.

Tom
    You have definately got a big part of the equation covered!!!!

A vacuum sealer puts a whole new light on how things will keep by a long shot, nothing else comes even close!!!!!!!!!

Banned

Ive got venison sausage in the freezer from last year and it tastes as good now as it did then. Crop damage deer season opens up in about a month. I cant wait. First deer is making a batch of summer sausage! that doesnt keep in my house. Not because the freezer hurt it but because theres about 10 people begging over here when i make it!

Boolit Master
    Here in GA we're getting overrun with hogs, and I'm wondering if anyone here has made venison and wild hog sausage, or just hog sausage? Any recipes? Thanks, GF

Banned

Ive used it in summer sausage and cant tell the differnce in taste between it and vension. I make sure i only use lean meat though and any fat thats added is domestic pork fat. Im sure it work just as well for breakfast sauage or italian sauage. to be honest in most sausage recipes you could use dog meat and couldnt tell the differnce in taste of the final product.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the recipe! It is very expensive to get sausage done at a meat place been wanting trying making it on my own.

pork picnics come on sale around here for $1.00/lb.

I bone them, but leave the skin on

EVERY commercial sausage that contains pork has the skin in it. You'll never know, and the added collogen helps it all stay together and not fall apart

bump!
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Moderator Emeritus

Vac packed sausage keeps for a year easy, I just had some that was at 15 months and it tastes as good as the day it was made. But I keep my deep freeze as cold as it will go. Bet this recipe would work well with the grass fed beef I get.

Banned

for burger and bulk sausage i buy meat bags and use my sausage stuffer to fill them. Burger easily keeps a year or more in those bags because theres no air in them and its cheaper then vacuum bagging it. Plus the rolls stack nicely in the freezer. You can get differnt collar writing on them so that you can tell which is sausage and which is burger.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Vac packed sausage keeps for a year easy, I just had some that was at 15 months and it tastes as good as the day it was made. But I keep my deep freeze as cold as it will go. Bet this recipe would work well with the grass fed beef I get.

Moderator Emeritus

My burger comes bagged, farm I buy from has a local butcher do all the processing. $3 a pound last year already flash frozen and then delivered to my front door.

Banned

mary id do venison burger by adding a 2lb tube of the cheap crappy burger in a roll from walmart to 10lbs ground venison. We have it figured out for crop damage deer season that factoring in the gas it costs us that i can make it for about a buck and a half a lb. I remember when i would have cringed at spending 3 bucks a lb on burger but anymore thats a steal. especially for high quality burger like your getting. Cheap fatty stuff at the store cost more then that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    mary id do venison burger by adding a 2lb tube of the cheap crappy burger in a roll from walmart to 10lbs ground venison. We have it figured out for crop damage deer season that factoring in the gas it costs us that i can make it for about a buck and a half a lb. I remember when i would have cringed at spending 3 bucks a lb on burger but anymore thats a steal. especially for high quality burger like your getting. Cheap fatty stuff at the store cost more then that.
    That's how we do our ground venison. We package it in the meat bags as either plain ground meat or make chorizo out of it and then bulk pack it in the bags.

Moderator Emeritus

You couldn't pay me to buy that hamburger, nasty! I would just call the farm and order some 80/20 or ground chuck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12