Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: 22 Caliber Mould

Boolit Master

22 Caliber Mould

Is there anyone that makes a 22 caliber mould in the 40 to 45 grain range other than Lyman? I bought the Lyman 225438 which is 44 grains. Drops beautiful boolets but gas checks simply will not go on. Tried tapping them in place before running them through the sizer but they won't go on properly and end up deformed and crooked. Sent the mould back to Lyman and they sent me a new mould. It does the same thing. Tried annealing the gas checks but that didn't help. I guess it is possible the checks which are Hornady are undersized. Anyone ever gotten a batch of bad gas checks that were undersized?

Boolit Master
    NEI # 1 and #2

Boolit Master
    What do the base of your boolits mic at? What sizer are you using? BRP makes a very nice mold as well, I just got a couple of days ago, but have not got to cast any with it yet. Billy
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

I make a punch with a ball or tapered end and use this to open checks up to fit a couple tight molds. It is a pain but works well. I also have a gas check seater for the lyman 450 and a home made seater for an old ideal sizer. This does help.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Just took some measurements and the shanks are 0.218 and the inside diameter of the checks are o.214 which is the max shank size according to LASC.US. I can see right now I'll never get these things to fit. I guess I got two choices, open the mould up and make it a plain base or send it back to Lyman again. Probable a waste of time sending it to Lyman.

Boolit Grand Master
    You might try using 6mm gas checks. This is not my idea, there is an article on Castpics where the author suggested this for oversized gas check shanks.

Robert

stephen perry

No Need for GC on 225438

I bought my mold for the reason of not using GC. Use lino and White Label Carnauba Red lube and never look back.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Boolit Master
    Well I pretty much got the thing working now. Not a 100% like I want but still usable. Took the mould apart and first thing I found was a burr on one of the holes where the alignment pin seats. To correct that I simply beveled both holes where the alignment pins enter the block. Then I discovered both alignment pins were not seated far enough into the blocks, needed to go in just a tad more. While I had the blocks apart I lapped both blocks using 400 grit wet type sand paper laid on a flat surface. All this brought the shanks down to .214 on one and .215 on the other and still dropping at .225 overall. Think I'm gonna stop right there before I mess everything up. This is the only Lyman mould I own, the others being RCBS and Lee so I don't want to bad rap Lyman, but since it was a problem on two straight moulds it will make me hesitate to purchase another Lyman.

Boolit Master

The more recent Lyman mold products have gone into the crapper mostly. I do not know what happened to their QC department. I guess they are so busy recently that they could care less.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    I make a punch with a ball or tapered end and use this to open checks up to fit a couple tight molds.
    That's what I was thinking too.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohon View Post
    Is there anyone that makes a 22 caliber mould in the 40 to 45 grain range other than Lyman? ?
    Contact BRP moulds (BaBore) he makes what you seek.