Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Boolits

Coyote Boolits

Is there anyone out there who is using cast boolits (or pp'd boolits) for coyote control? If so, I'd like to know about your rig. Can you consistently make clean kills out to 300 yards or more?

MJ

Boolit Master
    I do not see coyote at that range but I have killed three this past year with cast in my 30-30 using a Lyman 311041 and 10 gr of Unique. The last one I shot was at about 40 yards and the bullet went in the front shoulder and came out the other side behind the ribs. It also broke the shoulder and the animal dropped at the shot. This load shoots well out to 200 yards which is as far as I have shot it.

Boolit Master

I shoot a 225415 in a 22 Hornet and out to 200 it's lights out for Wiley.DRT! I'm working on a load for my Carcano as its a real carbine and short means handy. Plus its a Carcano,if I scratch it up ,who cares, it's a Carcano......Of course I have loads for my Browning 92 winchester copy in 44 mag and the Rossi 357 too. Handy out to 100+ on a good day.
    Last edited by Cactus Farmer; 11-25-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling,again!
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

In Remebrance

The problem at 300 yards is drop and windage. I've killed coyotes at 70ish yards with a 32-20 and a 115 gr boolit at 1500 fps. Whats it doing at 70 yards? Maybe 1200 fps at best? they aren;t that hard to kill with a FN boolit in the lights.

For 300 yards shooting you'll need to be able to dope the wind and drop pretty well. With cast at maybe 22-2400 fps you're back to 1920's varminting. I'm looking out my window right now at an apple tree that's 280 yards exactly from the rear corner of my house. I took a shot at a coyote standing in front of that tree as couple years back with a 250 Savage and 100 gr Ballistic Tips at close to 3K. I misjudged the wind and missed him. With cast you'll have even more of a challenge.

Boolit Master

Bret said

"With cast at maybe 22-2400 fps you're back to 1920's varminting."

Bret I hadn't thought about it in that context...but a VERY true statement. Makes it all the more fun for me. I'm still working on the 200 yard shots!!!!

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Lyman 311466 over 58gr of AA2700 in a 30-06 works for me. But then I take the time to size them .3015 ad give them 2 wraps of 16# paper before loading.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    With cast at maybe 22-2400 fps you're back to 1920's varminting.
    Don't rule out paper patching. It's more work, but velocities of 3K or so are not unreasonable. This will extend your range a little more, and give a little more flexibility on alloy hardness to give the results you want.

I'm on board with the paper wrapping idea... now I just need to pick a caliber and rifle. Is my 4-groove Pre-64 '06 a candidate? It is pretty clunky and has never shot grooved boolits worth a darn past 2K fps. What about an Encore or even a .2-something barrel for my Handi-Rifle?

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    I'm on board with the paper wrapping idea... now I just need to pick a caliber and rifle. Is my 4-groove Pre-64 '06 a candidate? It is pretty clunky and has never shot grooved boolits worth a darn past 2K fps. What about an Encore or even a .2-something barrel for my Handi-Rifle?

MJ
    One thing about paper patching; bigger boolits are a lot easier than little ones. I've found the .30 cals to be pretty easy to work with. All depends on your fingers I guess? That '06 might be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by yondering View Post
    One thing about paper patching; bigger boolits are a lot easier than little ones. I've found the .30 cals to be pretty easy to work with. All depends on your fingers I guess? That '06 might be worth a try.
    I think I'd like to look into something a bit lighter, faster, handier and more accurate.

MJ

Moderator Emeritus

Get a good call and they will come in.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Get a good call and they will come in.
    Yeah, your right. A couple of calls, a decoy and a Marlin 336 is probably all I need.

MJ

Lets see......I use my Marlin 357 with cast, my Stevens 7mm/08 with cast, and my 10" T/C Contender 22 Hornet with cast and swaged.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Lets see......I use my Marlin 357 with cast, my Stevens 7mm/08 with cast, and my 10" T/C Contender 22 Hornet with cast and swaged.
    BSJr,

What velocity you getting out of your 7mm-08 with cast? I shoot the Lee 135 grain to 2700 fps and get 3/4 inch groups out of my Sako. I haven't shot anything with that load as of yet, but mighty curious what it will do to a groundhog.

Joe

Boolit Master
    Hi Joe
    We don't have ground hogs like you do. Our ground hogs come in two varieties brown and black. The browns generally are bigger than the blacks but the blacks can get big too.
    When ground hog hunting we prefer to use a bigger caliber than 7mm. Acceptable calibers start at 35 preferably 40 cal. Favorite calibers are 45 and 50. Preferred rifles are iron sighted lever action. My most preferred ground hog gun is an 1886 Win 50/2.2" with 26" barrel and full length mag tube.
    My GH load has a 510gn custom WFN at 1750 fps. Those numbers are not all that impressive as numbers go but the few recipients of them have been overwhelmingly impressed.
    We eat all GH we take and use hide and fat also. I enjoy GH hunting more than any other species because you never know until its over just who is hunting who.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master

My favorite critter killer is a 6.5 x 55 MM Sweede. Using a 140 GR Nosler J-word bullet over 4064 powder I am getting 1/2" groups at 100 and it drops about 8 inches at 300 if set for POA at 200 yds.

Ditto on the windage but the long 140 gr. 6.5 pill rides the wind pretty good and keeps a lot of energy even way out there. The nice part is that the recoil is so light that you may be able to get off a second shot if the quarry hangs out a mite.

I would like to try out this rig on an Alaskan GH at 300 yards with Dan Conglosi next to me with his Winchester 50 as my close in backup. I wonder if a little pill could take a GH?
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    I read about a Norwegian ship captain that took his ship over the top.
    Said he shot lots of the white ground hogs with his 6.5 Swede and I think his was on a Krag Jorgensen action.
    Bet you could get the job done on the brown and black types with yours too.
    I would be happy to back you up too. The most invigorating thing I have ever done is to go into the thickets to fetch out someones wounded GH. I won but it was close.
    BIC/BS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post
    My favorite critter killer is a 6.5 x 55 MM Sweede. Using a 140 GR Nosler J-word bullet over 4064 powder I am getting 1/2" groups at 100 and it drops about 8 inches at 300 if set for POA at 200 yds.

Ditto on the windage but the long 140 gr. 6.5 pill rides the wind pretty good and keeps a lot of energy even way out there. The nice part is that the recoil is so light that you may be able to get off a second shot if the quarry hangs out a mite.

I would like to try out this rig on an Alaskan GH at 300 yards with Dan Conglosi next to me with his Winchester 50 as my close in backup. I wonder if a little pill could take a GH?
    My favorite critter gun, too. I use Sierra 142 gr. Matchking HPBT with 4831 loaded to about 2660 fps out of my Sporterized Karlina, I have taken anything coyote-sized and under out to 500 yards (longest range I have confidence in drop rate) very reliably.

Buuuuut, unfortunately it's not using real boolits.

Gear

If it's at all possible, I'd like to find out more about Pb alloy boolits that can be driven at high speed and taught to expand on relatively light resistance. How hard is it to HP a small bore boolit? Sorry, but I really don't care about those copper clad 'uns.

MJ

Boolit Master
    Buckshot will HP a mold for a very reasonable price. If you have one to spare give that a try. Casting is slowed a bit but I think its easier than trying to HP after the fact.
    For really high velocity expanding boolits I think soft pointing is a better way to go.
    With HP'ing you will want them pretty hard to get the high velocity and the hardness then interfere with the HP opening.
    I have been seeing on another thread here about using brittle alloys that will shatter on impact. Could work OK but I think will not perform as consistently as a soft nose boolit.
    Just one way to find out and it will cost you primers, powder and time.
    Oh yea almost forgot theres also paper patching as another means to your end. Lots of good stuff going on with that you can read about here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast