Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionPBcastcoWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stolen Guns sticky

Stolen inTreasure Valley area in Oregon, VZ-52 SHE SN 232706 chambered in 7.62x45
    So you guys in the PNW please keep a look out.

If you not familiar they look like
    Last edited by Artful; 09-14-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Stolenweapon.com
    If you inquired about a firearm by serial #, wouldn't they know who was asking? Nothing we do on the net is anonymous, as a well known female politician is learning.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Banned
    No one has mentioned security thru pepper spray. What you need is defense in depth. Not a one shot and it's done, rather a multi cannister unit that can be configured various ways. A good example: http://shop.burglarbomb.com/REPULSAR-IV-REPULSAR-IV.htm

Alarms and cameras that link to your cell phone provide you info anywhere. You'll spend 3-5K but one fully tricked out race gun costs more.

Layers of security are also excellent. Put your safe in its own room made of inner and outer walls of 1" plywood with a layer of 1/4" steel plate in between. Don't forget the ceiling ! Ideally in a corner of the basement. Steel door with 2 deadbolts on the open AND hinge sides. Multiple event pepperspray dispensers in the general basement and in the safe room. Be sure the safe is bolted to the floor as the bottom is the weakest part. Alarms and cameras in the general basement.

One fellow I know has all of this PLUS the safe is hardwired to 220V, with a grounding plate in front of the safe and a motion activated water line over the safe. (Probably not a good idea in "blue" states.)

Finally lots of alarm company signs everywhere and an up to date DVD with pictures and descriptions of all guns.

Something may also be said for putting your good guns in the safe but having your fine ones, one by one, in deep cover. (false walls, ceilings, floors etc.)

Obviously always carry concealed just in case you come home to an unplanned visitor.

Boolit Buddy
    I'v had guns stolen,,saddles & horse gear,,I now have a sign in my shop,," If you steel from me,,I won't call the police,,they can't Help you ". nuff said.

coffee's ready,,,,Hooytmix.

Boolit Man
    I can't stand thieves, I agree with 5 years per gun!

Boolit Buddy
    thieves, like child molesters, should simply be shot. or, at least, institute the Islamic punishment of amputating the left hand and right foot. people DO NOT steal in Islamic countries, this is why.

Banned
    There are a million ways to secure but two of the most common and practical ways are try to keep a family member at home like your mom or dad instead of the old folks home and get 1-2 ****** dogs ones that have been trained not to touch food from anybody but a family member. This may or may not stop all but it is much better than nothing at all.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I had a savage stryker chambered in 7.08 with a custom brake you could spin shut and a Colt andaconda 8 3/4" barrel 44 mag stollen around 96' in my house. I found the place of entry and fingerprints where the Perp entered my house date after it happened. I had the political ce come over and dust. They took the prints and I gave them a list of names who I thought it could be. I was right on one of my guesses, and the guy was already in jail. He was charged and the pistils were never recovered. My Home owners insurance litteraly ripped me off again and I didn't get enough back to fix my window or replace them The time. I ran into the guy a few years later after he was out of jail. I kept everything back not to end up going to jail myself and asked where my pistols were. He said they were long gone and sold them for drugs at the time. I still see that *** from time to time in town. I ended up buying another andaconda a few weeks later. I had to pawn off some other stuff since To do so. This happened when colt announced they weren't selling to the public anymore. I bought another 8 3/4" andaconda 44 mag for $509 new. Glad I have it but it's no where near as accurate as the one that got stollen. The LEO have my serial numbers. They wouldn't be mine now since I was paid out from insurance but I'd buy them both back in a second. Good luck finding a savage Stryker 7-08 pistol.

Needless to say I now have day/night lights, a dog, a 998lb 64 gun safe, and a conceal and carry permit.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-06-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Boolit Mold
    The police check guns used in a crime, "found" guns, and when someone requests a check. I have seen guns that were listed as stolen go through pawn shops and dealers because they check the people buying, not the guns. I understand a very few dealers request checks on used weapons but that is a hard thing to get done in some places. Basically, once your gun is stolen, listing it as stolen will probably do no good at all, unless the gun is used in a shooting incident. At that point you can show the police who knock at your door that the gun was reported stolen so you have nothing to do with it's use after that point. So it is really a protection for you rather than a chance that your firearm will be returned to you. I have never found someone who had their weapons returned to them after a stolen report, with the exception of a guy that had a real good idea who took the guns and it was someone the police really wanted so they went to the trouble of checking pawn shops for the stolen goods. Sure enough the suspect had pawned them, but he used another person to do the actual transaction so it was sort of a long story to get to the one everyone wanted in jail. Guess what I'm trying to say is certainly report the theft and get the weapons listed as stolen, but don't expect a lot to come of it.
    With all the **** going on about "gun safety" the political kind, not the actual safe weapons use, you would think someone would come up with a way to try to return weapons to their rightful owner. But of course that would be helping someone who owns guns so that will never be done.
    I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who reported a stolen weapon and actually had the weapon found and returned to them. Just for research sake.

Boolit Man
    Gun dealer I knew was robbed, he had way more guns than room in the safe, so they got what was locked in a closet, they couldn't get into the safe. The kicker is that while the robbery was in progress the ups guy dropped of more guns, they signed for them!!!! Long story short about half of the guns were recovered, totally rusted from being stashed in some wet basement. The safe that I own today was his insurance replacement, hope no one can get into that one either.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Just found one of my serial numbers for my stolen Colt andaconda 44 mag,8 3/4” ported barrel, drilled and tapped with a Tasco pdp3. Stole in late 90’s. Serial number mm94530

Found my paperwork for the savage Stryker chambered in 7-08 with a tasco 1.75x6 pistol scope but no serial numbers written down. Bought it new so I’m sure it’s still registered to myself or my dad who bought it for me years ago.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-14-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwlegal View Post
    The police check guns used in a crime, "found" guns, and when someone requests a check. I have seen guns that were listed as stolen go through pawn shops and dealers because they check the people buying, not the guns. I understand a very few dealers request checks on used weapons but that is a hard thing to get done in some places. Basically, once your gun is stolen, listing it as stolen will probably do no good at all, unless the gun is used in a shooting incident. At that point you can show the police who knock at your door that the gun was reported stolen so you have nothing to do with it's use after that point. So it is really a protection for you rather than a chance that your firearm will be returned to you. I have never found someone who had their weapons returned to them after a stolen report, with the exception of a guy that had a real good idea who took the guns and it was someone the police really wanted so they went to the trouble of checking pawn shops for the stolen goods. Sure enough the suspect had pawned them, but he used another person to do the actual transaction so it was sort of a long story to get to the one everyone wanted in jail. Guess what I'm trying to say is certainly report the theft and get the weapons listed as stolen, but don't expect a lot to come of it.
    With all the **** going on about "gun safety" the political kind, not the actual safe weapons use, you would think someone would come up with a way to try to return weapons to their rightful owner. But of course that would be helping someone who owns guns so that will never be done.
    I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who reported a stolen weapon and actually had the weapon found and returned to them. Just for research sake.
    Well, here you go! Back in the middle 1990s my daughter was attending Oregon State Univ. I had gifted her a new Taurus M-85 a couple of years earlier. She was living off campus in a nice little apartment, and the Taurus was in a black nylon bag similar to a camera bag on the front seat of her car, which was parked in the driveway. The car was broken into, the gun and some other stuff taken. She phoned and asked what to do. I gave her the gun's serial number and told her to make a police report. This was done by the Corvallis Police Dept. as it was in their jurisdiction, but it should be noted that the Oregon State Police have a detachment on campus. About 11 months after the theft I thought I'd follow up and phoned the Police Dept. and request to know if the Taurus had been recovered. I was advised that it had not, but also was told that it was a good thing that I had made the inquiry as one year after a theft is entered into the NCIC computer system it is purged out if no recovery has been made and no interest shown, but that now it would be there for another year. Then, about two months later, my daughter got a call from the Oregon State Police office on the college campus and was advised that her Taurus had been recovered. Apparently a male student was involved in several burglaries and his dorm room was searched and the gun found. Of course, because the serial number was in the NCIC system they knew who to return it to. When she picked it up the Trooper also gave her two boxes of ammunition that were seized when the gun was recovered. She told him that other than the 5 rounds in the gun at the time of the theft no ammunition had been stolen from her, but he said she could have it anyway.

Additionally, having been an FFL Dealer in Oregon, I can tell you that it is the law (mandatory) than when a dealer takes a used gun in trade or buys one outright that he is required to contact the State Police via the same telephone number on which purchase background checks are made and inquire if the gun is stolen. A smart dealer will do that before handing over the money to the seller! I have a dealer friend of some 30+ years with whom I still do business (he handles my private transfers for me as I no longer have an FFL) and he neglected to do the check when a female entered his shop and offered him 5 vintage S&Ws. One of them was a Registered .357 Magnum from the early days of production. We went to the Roseburg, OR, gun show together as sellers (I still had the FFL at the time) and shared several tables. He had a display of probably 35 handguns on an end table, and suddenly started yelling that one of his guns was gone. The method of theft was that a fellow in a wheelchair had been there for awhile examining the display and had tucked the magnum into the area between his legs under his lap blanket. Sort of coincidentally, my friend knew the thief by sight as he lived about a block from his shop in Myrtle Creek, OR, a nearby town, and he used to roll past in his chair. So after the show my friend reported the theft and was dismayed to learn that the gun had all been reported stolen several months earlier from a man in Portland who suspected his daughter of the theft. The Myrtle Creek Police came by the shop, then went to the wheelchair thief's house, recovered the Registered Magnum and arrested him. My friend got a butt-chewing for not having checked the status of the guns before purchasing them.

So, you see, the system does work, at least in Oregon, if it is followed.

There is one thing about which I am unclear. I do not know if stolen items entered into NCIC are purged after one year by the Feds, or in this case withdrawn by the local police agency. When I was in the Law Enforcement profession (now many, many years ago) I was under the impression that once something went into NCIC it never came out unless it was purposely removed, such as if a case was solved, an item recovered, etc. Perhaps things have changed, or perhaps it is just the policy of that police dept. to clear their books after a year.
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 02-28-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5737.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	249907

This Smith & Wesson Model 10 4" .38 Special revolver was stolen in Albuquerque, NM in '92. A report with filed with the local APD with the ser # C643963. Every so often I ask the local PD to run the number to make sure it is still shown as active stolen with NCIC.

Still awaiting recovery in Las Vegas, NV.
    Last edited by Crash_Corrigan; 10-18-2019 at 05:12 PM. Reason: add photo
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

I had a almost new Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum stolen out of my dad's car & the police never did recover my revolver out of $375 very quickly I still have the serial # here some where but that's been in 1995 Stainless very nice gun

During my 30 years in law enforcement, I have recovered many stolen firearms. It is important to keep a list of your firearms giving Make, Model, caliber, and serial number, and type of finish on gun suck as blue steel or stainless. LEO will enter this information into their state and federal, NCIC, computers as a stolen firearm. As for the member in Oregon that was told they drop the firearm being listed after one year, that is the policy of the local police dept and it is a bad policy. I have recovered stolen firearms that were listed many years prior to me locating the gun.
    On serving one search warrant on a dope dealer, I located 32 guns stacked in a corner of the home hallway. I knew that they were stolen as my information was that the dealer was taking stolen guns in for drug sales. Out of those 32 guns, only 4 were listed as stolen when I ran a check on all the guns. Those owners got their guns back, the rest of the guns remained in police custody until ordered by the court to destroy them since the legal owner could not be found.
    Also do not put your firearm list with your guns in the gunsafe. I had one victim whose gunsafe was stolen with his 20 firearms inside and his firearm list was also inside the gun safe. He could not provide me with serial numbers since his list was stolen also.
    Most cops will run a firearm for a stolen check almost everytime they encounter a firearm in the field. That helps to increase the odds that you might one day get your stolen gun back if you do your part and make out a list of the firearms you own.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyrone View Post
    About 30 years ago I bought a Pistol off of a Motor Cycle guy who needed some money. I still have it. How do I check to see if it was stolen? I would hate to get stopped with a stolen gun.
    I spent most of my adult life as one of those "Motor Cycle Guys". Have dealt with a lot of guns changing hands. I don't know if this has been mentioned but at the risk of looking like a dufus, I'll mention it anyway. If either the gun or the guy you got it from were on the shady side there's the real possibility the gun may have been linked to a crime of some sort. Be ready to spend some time chatting with the Jondarms trying to convince them you were not the owner at the time. Probably a slim chance and not really worthy of consideration but I've seen it happen. By the way, I cleaned up my act years ago. Now I'm just your basic gray-bearded, grumpy old grandpa (with a lot of guns).

Boolit Mold
    Photos and descriptions are on a CD filed with my insurance agent. Another copy is on my computer. A few years ago my GF's brother was killed with his own .357 by his wife. Carolyn filed for the gun as that would be the only thing from her brother his wife had not hocked, sold, etc. to satisfy her gambling. Carolyn was the only living relative at the time. When the sheriff from the Mississippi County called her and said he had the gun ready for transfer and if she wanted the other two guns also. Through two FFL dealers the guns were in her possession. The State of Mississippi covered all costs. A Colt .357 blue, 4" very minor cylinder marks, a Knight .50 ML with scope, and a Winchester .22 ss, pre serial number model 6 I believe it was. All three were cleaned up and are in shooting condition.

I’ve had experience with stolen guns. I had ATF call me on a gun I bought at auction and went through check, ect. It had been stolen and was found on auction books. I bought legal. I traded it off a month before I was contacted again to a dealer. I don’t know how that ended up but I think last guy with it gets the shaft. Around 1972 I had S&W m29 stolen. It was used 4” that I sent back to S&W for 83/8” barrel. The gun was stole from local HWD store / FFL that was handling shipping.
    In 1979 I had cops in Dallas, Texas call me and had the gun. Was involved in a crime and they traced it back to me through shop where I bought it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Just found one of my serial numbers for my stolen Colt andaconda 44 mag,8 3/4” ported barrel, drilled and tapped with a Tasco pdp3. Stole in late 90’s. Serial number mm94530

Found my paperwork for the savage Stryker chambered in 7-08 with a tasco 1.75x6 pistol scope but no serial numbers written down. Bought it new so I’m sure it’s still registered to myself or my dad who bought it for me years ago.
    Then there is hope. I had some stolen 20 years ago and nary a peep. How did you manage to finally locate it?

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting that it sounds like "the last person with it gets the shaft". First thing I'd do is go after the guy who sold it to me for selling stolen property. Last I heard, in Michigan selling stolen property is a felony. Probably reasonable grounds for a case in small claims court....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234