WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most accurate .45 LC boolit

Boolit Grand Master

I am a fan of the Keith bullets (in this case, the 454424 or my particular favorite, the NOE version). The Keith bullets shoot VERY well, cut a clean hole in paper for easy scoring and have a LARGE meplat for excellent results on game.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

Don McDowell,

One ragged hole at 50 yards?

Is that Blackhawk 'scoped?

That is some mighty fine shooting...

BCB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    The Lee 250 gr swc, and the Rcbs 255 KT both will lob a cylinder full into one raggedy hole at 50 yds from either a blackhawk or a winchester trapper.
    9 grs of unique, or 18 grs of 2400, 20 grs of 5744, and 25 grs of 4198, all have have worked well with both bullets. I've also used a huge amount of h110 for some sizzler velocity and excellent accuracy, but I'll keep that charge weight to myself.
    I'll have to vote for that RCBS bullet too. I have it and everything I shoot it out of is accurate and my standard load is that 9.0 grains of Unique. I have the Model 94 Trapper too and with that load and bullet I shot a lot of groundhogs.....and not real close shots either.

I was shooting starlings at about 75 yards with my Marlin Cowboy and that load too. Shot a squirrel out of a tree at about 65 yards with the Marlin.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    Don McDowell,

One ragged hole at 50 yards?

Is that Blackhawk 'scoped?

That is some mighty fine shooting...

BCB
    NO scope,stock sights just shot from prone

Way back when.... Friend of mine was out shooting his 7mag getting ready for hunting season. He took a gallon milk jug full of water out about 300 yds, I told him Hell I'll get it with this pistol before you can with that rifle. Well I banged a few out that direction got a couple walked in terrible close. He cranked off a couple from a rest with that rifle, nodda.... His wife went to look see, one round from that colt had let most of the water out the bottom , he did have 2 hits close together, but with no water in the jug, those bullets just whipped on thru....
    He didn't bother bad mouthin handguns as good for nothing after that...
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I have had real good luck with both the old Ideal (Lyman) Keith 250 grain and RCBS 230 grain RFN Cowboy boolit. I have switched over to the RCBS boolit because the Ideal boolit was a bit long in the nose to shoot in my replica Schofield, even though the overall length was within SAAMI specs. The RCBS 230 grain boolit shoots very well in both the 1873 Winchester replica and all the revolvers I have in 45 Colt, which is somewhat of an anomally. It shoots well with both black powder and smokeless as well. Not much more can be asked of any boolit!

What I want is a .45 bullet that'll at least "scare" ground squirrels out to the 150 yd mark like my old .44 Ruger did. (This was 232 gr @140 yds) That fine shooter is now history sadly, but the squirrels aren't and my 7.5" .45 BH needs a longrange load. Light and fast bullet would be good as long as the accuracy holds up..
    Last edited by Bucks Owin; 11-25-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Banned
    NO scope,stock sights just shot from prone

Way back when.... Friend of mine was out shooting his 7mag getting ready for hunting season. He took a gallon milk jug full of water out about 300 yds, I told him Hell I'll get it with this pistol before you can with that rifle. Well I banged a few out that direction got a couple walked in terrible close. He cranked off a couple from a rest with that rifle, nodda.... His wife went to look see, one round from that colt had let most of the water out the bottom , he did have 2 hits close together, but with no water in the jug, those bullets just whipped on thru....
    He didn't bother bad mouthin handguns as good for nothing after that...
    You might have a handgun shooting contest with 44man.

Joe

Boolit Master

Well guys, I can see I am way out gunned concerning these wheel guns and open sights and long range shooting. Phewwwwwww…

Some things a guy just has to accept!!!

I also shoot 9.0 grains of Unique with the RCBS 45-270-SAA from my Blackhawk for a muzzle velocity of 974 fps. Tennis ball size groups or a bit smaller at 50 yards most days…

I also shoot 20.0 grains of Lil’ Gun and the same boolit for a muzzle velocity of 1157 fps and the same tennis ball sized accuracy at 50 yards again…

I have also shot 23.0 grains of H-110 but that is probably maximum and the accuracy is not as good as with the Lil’ Gun…

I do like the RCBS 45-270-SAA…

Good-luck…BCB

FWIW, my .44 mag "varmit load" was the RCBS 225 GC (232 gr WDWW) over 20 grs of SR 4759/WLP/WW cases for 1350 fps. Pressures mild, pleasant to shoot all day long and certainly as accurate as I am!....Dennis
    Last edited by Bucks Owin; 11-24-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    BCB you probably just need to tinker with the amount of crimp (or lack thereof) bullet size and lube.
    Also shooting 2-300 rounds a week doesn't hurt anything either.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Well guys, I can see I am way out gunned concerning these wheel guns and open sights and long range shooting. Phewwwwwww…

I also shoot 9.0 grains of Unique with the RCBS 45-270-SAA from my Blackhawk for a muzzle velocity of 974 fps. Tennis ball size groups or a bit smaller at 50 yards most days…

I also shoot 20.0 grains of Lil’ Gun and the same boolit for a muzzle velocity of 1157 fps and the same tennis ball sized accuracy at 50 yards again…

I have also shot 23.0 grains of H-110 but that is probably maximum and the accuracy is not as good as with the Lil’ Gun…

I do like the RCBS 45-270-SAA…

Good-luck…BCB
    I got the SR 4759 recipe over at the Ruger forum and it proved to outshoot my other slow powder .44 mag loads. I had high hopes for LilGun in the .44 but.....just "so so". Right now I'm working with 4759 in the .45 LC. I'll keep you posted....Dennis

Banned
    BCB says

Yeah, some of us wheelgun shooters are even having fun scaring guys off the rifle range.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks Owin View Post
    Yeah, I like the meplat and plain base of the Lee 452 255. Lube grooves look a little small...Wonder how accurate? I've also been eyeballin' the RCBS 270 and will keep an eye on the auctions for the 454190...

I sold mine. I found the accuracy to be less than my 454424 or 452460. Lee's 300 gr gc works but it takes a check and IMO needs to be pushed hard. Lloyd Smale did a group buy of a RCBS 255 gr that needs more attention in my guns but has promise. RCBS as many has changed their design over the years.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I sold mine. I found the accuracy to be less than my 454424 or 452460. Lee's 300 gr gc works but it takes a check and IMO needs to be pushed hard. Lloyd Smale did a group buy of a RCBS 255 gr that needs more attention in my guns but has promise. RCBS as many has changed their design over the years.
    Thanks for sharing the experience with the Lee bullet. I can use a GC design, I just hate spending primer/powder money on Hornady gascheck$ for informal target use. Maybe I'll get a "Freecheck" rig to make my own...

Boolit Master

BCB you probably just need to tinker with the amount of crimp (or lack thereof) bullet size and lube.
    Also shooting 2-300 rounds a week doesn't hurt anything either.
    It would take more then crimp adjustment for me to shoot that good with a wheelgun. Heck, the front sight on my Ruger covers a 6" circle at 50 yards. At 200 yards it would appear to be 24" wide. Tough to "bead in" and anything with that much room for error...

I do have a 'scoped SRH with the 10.5 inch barrel in 44 Magnum. I can hit my life-sized steel ground hog with it at 200 yards, but the 7x 'scope is the only way...

With me it is part of the vision and even 2-300 rounds per week would not allow accuracy that has been mentioned throughout this thread...

Contenders--Well, that is another story...

BCB

It would take more then crimp adjustment for me to shoot that good with a wheelgun. Heck, the front sight on my Ruger covers a 6" circle at 50 yards. At 200 yards it would appear to be 24" wide. Tough to "bead in" and anything with that much room for error...
    BCB
    Man, that's a fact! An average size target looks like a flea sitting on top of the front sight! Takes a LOT of concentration, a solid sandbag rest and good light conditions. Even then, there are many frustrating days between times that you are "on". Guess that's what makes long range shooting fun. It certainly is very good practice for trigger control and follow through. (And keeps one busy at the reloading bench too!)....Dennis

Cool

Well, I guess I kind of buck the major trend here. My 7 1/2" BH likes either the 454424 at 264 grains, or the 452423 at 245 grains. Both with my alloy out of my moulds. H4227 in the heavy and HS-6 in the lighter weight.

For me the 452460 is really more at home in the 1911 and 25-2 rather than the .45 Colt.
    Regards,

WE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12