RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Winchester WAAP Powder

Winchester WAAP Powder

I have a full 8 pound keg of Winchester WAAP (WAA+) powder. This powder was only made for two years, and I can find limited data for shotgun reloading, but I use IMR 700X and Red Dot for those loads. The label says it's an ideal powder for handgun loads, but I've searched everywhere and can't come up with any data for any handgun loads at all with this powder.

Does anyone have any credible data for handgun use with WAAP powder, which is not to be confused with WAP (Winchester Action Pistol)? I would be interested in any input, and references to sources for data.

Thank you in advance.

Fred

Boolit Buddy
    Any idea when this powder was produced? I have a 1998(?) Winchester reloading guide; I'll look in there.

Boolit Mold
    Here is a link that I found that should help lead you in the right direction: http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=36394

Boolit Buddy
    My loading guide is from 1995 and while it lists WAAP, there are no handgun loads for it. Handloader's Digest from 10 to 15 doesn't even show it in Winchester's lineup and it's not in the burn rate chart; this one must have gone by in a blur.

You could probably get an idea of a starting load by looking at shotgun charge weights, but it would still be a guess. Maybe you could swap out 700X and Red Dot for pistols and dedicate WAAP to shotguns.

I have the Winchester # 15 Reloading Pamphlet, and I've looked all over for # 16, but to no avail. I was hoping that the next pamphlet would have some handgun data in it. The # 16 & 17 pamphlets are missing from my collection, and I don't think I ever had them.

I may have to use this powder for shotgun use, but I have about 30 pounds of Red Dot, and another 25 pounds of 700X on hand for that, so I was hoping to find something for handgun use, since Winchester advertised it as a good handgun powder for the two years they produced it.

Thanks for your efforts and I'll keep trying to find some use for this powder.

Fred

Boolit Master

I have used it in the .38 Special but I developed the load for it from scratch for a friend who was given two pounds.

Shoots all right in the .38 Special./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

If I could come up with a light load for the .38, that's where I would use it up. I've thought about giving it a try and running some loads across my chronograph, but decided to take the easy way first, and ask.

Thanks,

Fred

Boolit Buddy

I found a nice light cast boolit load for use in my 9mm. I've never seen any pistol data anywhere, even the factory couldn't provide any. I did find a couple of powder burn rate charts that listed this powder and I went from there.
    Jeff

Boolit Grand Master

It is in burn rate chart I have

#17-Solo 1000 ,Scot
    #18-AA+, Win
    #19-Titegroup,Hodgdon
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    The lack of info on WAA+ does not help. However, use in a 380 has an advantage when it comes to rolling your own.

If it is close to SOLO 1000 / Titegroup, Quickload says a max would be around 2.4 grs for a 100 gr bullet seated 0.228" deep for a 380. Online Hodgdon data for these two powders goes higher.

A more cautions approach would be to assume it is a "very fast" powder. I ran the fastest powders in the Quickload database and all of max charges for a 100 gr bullet would at least 1.9 gr (Clays was the lowest).

Starting at 1.8 gr and working up in 0.1 increments until you get reliable cycling of a 380 should give you a decent load for a 100 gr bullet.

With a 90 gr bullet, you could probably start at 2.1 gr.

As long as you stay at the lowest charge that will lock back the slide on the last round of a 380, you should be ok with any shotgun/pistol powder.
    Last edited by P Flados; 02-08-2023 at 01:25 AM.