Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I just Registered

I just Registered

I have been shooting for 40 years and handloading for 5. I have been using precast bullets in handguns as long as velocity is less than 1000 fps. For the past two years my wife and I have set up a target berm that is filled with paper and pretty well captures our bullets.

This fall we took down our berm and recovered the bullets which boiled down to 14 pounds of lead alloy. I had to crack the Berry bullets to get them to bleed the silver metal. I purchased some other lead and have about 65 pounds of lead now.

I am going to read here when I get a chance and see if I can get my lead bullets to above the speed of sound without greasing my barrels.

1/2*m*v^2 is the kinetic energy

Boolit Master

Welcome to the madness. Read all the stickies, and then read them again. There is so much to learn here. I have been reloading for over 40years, and casting for most of that time, but I am still learning, and am loving it! I load for .9mm Luger, 38 Special, .357 Mag, .44 Spec, .44 Mag, .45ACP, .30 Carbine, .223, 30-30, and 30-06, and anticipate more.
    Posters here will point out that it is easily possible to drive alloy boolits at well over mach 1 - or mach 2 - or more...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Welcome!
    There is a world of good info here and helpful people. Gas checks can help on your High Vel. pistol ammo if your mold will use them.

Boolit Master
    Good to see another member join in. If you are lik us here you will enjoy casting up your own. Accuracy is better and you can tailor loads to your needs. You may think that you will save money and you can, but you probably won't as you will buy more molds and cast more bullets and of course..........shoot more. I've loved shooting cast bullets since the first day I lit of my first round from my firearm.

Lots of knowledge here by very impressive individuals.

Enjoy your new adventure!!

Rob

Boolit Master

Welcome .5mv2 There are a lot of great boolit lube recipes here and lots of great lube for sale by our vendor sponsers. You won't have any problem finding what you need and the info to go with it. FB

Welcome. But I should warn you that there aren't to many aficionados of MV^2/2 here. This is more of a M*V bar...

I've gotten my .223 to run up over 3,000fps with cast boolits & no leading, but my accuracy dropped off noticeably after around 2500fps.

If you have the time to sift through the threads here, you can find a vast wealth of information. I know that I did.

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is also a good place to start learning the basics about casting methods & safety procedures (keep water away from the melted lead, etc). I highly recommend reading that too.

Welcome aboard.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Welcome aboard. Follow the advise here, and you should be able to double the speed of sound with little or no problems.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Welcome.
    There's nothing new here, we just keep kickin' the same ol' can.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Welcome

WELCOME TO

We may kik the same ole can around but we kik it different each kik

GP100man

Welcome from over here in NE Oklahoma! have fun going for that speed record!

Boolit Master

Welcome Mr. KE

Banned

Welcome!
    You need a little money to belong here though. We are going to chip in until we have $50 to buy Kalifornia, slip the liberals into the sea and make it part of the USA again!