Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: brake fluid as a coolant

Boolit Mold

brake fluid as a coolant

I read a blog on another site about a guy that was pouring his own lead shot ,and was using brake fluid to quench his shot instead of water has anybody else heard of this practice, and if so what are the benefits?

Boolit Master
    I think that most people use a 50/50 ethlene-glycol ( antifreeze coolant)
    Brake fluid is an oil that probably lets the shot become round pretty well.
    Brake fluid has ZERO lubrication value.
    Straight water has too much surface tension and will not likely produce round shot.

Thats all I know.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

You might more info if this was posted in the casting for shotgun section. The shot makers hang around that section a lot......
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    There was recently a warning on the hazards of fumes from brake fluid, if it becomes hot. Nasty stuff, so you may wish to re-think using it for this purpose.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    I think that most people use a 50/50 ethlene-glycol ( antifreeze coolant)
    Brake fluid is an oil that probably lets the shot become round pretty well.
    Brake fluid has ZERO lubrication value.
    Straight water has too much surface tension and will not likely produce round shot.

Thats all I know.
    I read at a different sight a while back that adding dishwashing detergent and alcohol to water is another substitute. I have never cast shot and don't know the first thing about it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

[QUOTE=lwknight;725029]I think that most people use a 50/50 ethlene-glycol ( antifreeze coolant)
    QUOTE]

I dont know why you would use Antifreeze?

Anti-Freeze is added to radiators to lift boiling and lower freezing points of water. The down side is water with Anti-Freeze added will not conduct heat as well as straight water. Water under pressure will also have a higher boiling temperature. Hence performance motors often have higher pressure release radiator caps and add wetter (reduces surface tension) but no Anti-Freeze.

Note. Coolant and Anti-Freeze are 2 different things. Anti-Freeze is the stuff with ethlene-glycol in it and directions usually state not to run too high of a concentrate for reasons I have stated obove.

Or a shot tower.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    There was recently a warning on the hazards of fumes from brake fluid, if it becomes hot. Nasty stuff, so you may wish to re-think using it for this purpose.
    It wasn't brake fluid, it was brake cleaner. None the less, be careful not to inhale the vapors. Oil in the lungs is a bad thing.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    Brake fluid can cause blindness and will remove any paint it comes in contact with.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

I think I would be with Waksupi on this one the fume I would think would be brutal.
    The smell when you have to heat a line nut on a brake line to get it off is enough for me.

Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Thanks for the clarification, Stew.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Brake fluid is not an oil. Is similar to anti freeze but I forgot my Chemistry. It does brake down in water.

Boolit Grand Master

I make shot and use ALL laundry detergent, recommended by Magma, the people that sell Littleton shotmakers.
    Careful with antifreeze (same as coolant), hydraulic oil, brake fluid, etc. They all have a flash point and will burn, even the antifreeze!

Water causes the shot to "pop", will look like a partially popped popcorn kernel, especially if the temp of the lead is over 550'.

Boolit Master
    First, neither Brake fluid or antifreeze is an oil. Both are glycol based fluids. Brake fluid is slightly thicker (more viscous) which some people mistakenly think of as oil. NEVER add any oil based fluid to a brake system, it WILL quickly destroy any and every rubber brake part it touches. This can result in a brake pedal goes to the floor / car won't stop condition

I've had to repair 3 or 4 cars in my 20 years as professional mechanic that have been "topped off" with the wrong fluid. It's not pretty....

As far as what advantage this may have as a coolant for shot making, I can't think of any. It's cooling properties would not be better, and likely worse, than antifreeze. As it is slightly thicker, I would think that would provide greater resistance to the shot pellet entering the fluid. I would think that would make it less round. Straight brake fluid does have a higher boiling point than antifreeze + water mixed. Maybe that's what he's after??

I think this is a "homebrew" recipe. HE THINKS it's better, theirfore, it is FOR HIM.....regardless if any facts support it or not.
    NRA life member

LB

The reason why water may not be good is that the water surrounding the shot will instantly turn to steam and distort the molten ball of lead (think tinsel fairy). Raising the boiling point above 700*F would help keep distortion of the shot down to a minimum.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

i wouldnt think you would want to use brake fluid. it is alcohol based. i would think there would be an inherent fire dange there.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejb View Post
    First, neither Brake fluid or antifreeze is an oil. Both are glycol based fluids.
    Thanks for the education. I guess I never read the label on the can.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Basically, I am cheap and I am lazy, so I use just plain water.

A mechanic friend of mine told me that anti-freeze, especially when atomized is highly flammable/combustible.

Hmmn...inside? Combustible substance next to molten lead...err... NO THANKS!