Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many are casting for air guns ?

Boolit Mold

How many are casting for air guns ?

I am new to casting, almost ready to get started. I have molds and a small Lee pot, got a thermometer in the mail today. I have 18 lbs of a bullet mix soft enough to scratch with my thumbnail, and am trying to connect with some free lead through a workmate with dental xray equipment connections. I think WW's will be too hard for me, but not completely sure about that. I noticed a poster or two who referred to pellet guns, so I'm not alone. Anyway, glad to be here, this place is a treasure trove of information. Mike...

Boolit Master

What caliber of airguns are you casting for? What type of molds are you using? I would like to someday have a large bore airgun. but at this point just gathering info for the reference library.

In Remembrance

My first air rifle in forty years

just showed up at the local pawn shop. An RWS Diana model 48/52 .22 caliber.
    Came with a Bushnell 4-12 trophy scope. Hope the gun doesn't scramble it.
    I have been casting for more than fifty years and I don't think I can compete, quality wise with the swaged pellets you can buy in tins. This rifle is super accurate with either wad cutters or pointed pellets from Crosman. There are some better ones I am told. Can someone tell me about a pellet uniformer/sizer? Are they worth screwing with?
    Shot it off my front porch and hit a quarter size orange dot at forty yards regularly.
    I had a Sheridan .20 caliber air gun years ago that shot round balls and conical boolits that worked very well. I can see the advantage in a heavier pellet of regular bullet shape the Sheridan has to use on small animals. The accuracy with regular pellets is what I like. I hardly ever try to discourage anyone from casting their own boolits but this is one of those times.

Life is good

Boolit Master
    I cast up a selection for fellow shooting a .45 cal air rifle. Got reports back for a while. Worked well enough so he took game with them. IIRC, he was getting about 650 fps with 185 to 200 grain bullets.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Mold

OH, goody... more airgunners...

I have been into airguns since I was a young kid, now I'm a 65 year old kid. I used to have .222, .243. .308 and reloaded for them, thought about casting for them, but never did. I gradually sold 'em off, been exclusively airguns for 20+ years. I used to hunt small game & varmints and now only hunt varmints. I am going to cast for a 9mm Career Ultra, a six shot lever action which puts .360 round ball down range at 900 fps or so. I haven't run it across the chrony, but they advertise it at 980, I think. It will feed 100 gr boolits & I have some 75 gr HP's that will completely mess up a groundhog's whole day.
    This being a boolit forum, I suppose I shouldn't get carried away about airguns... I'd welcome PM's or email though... I'm a shameless airgun enabler, will bend your ear a long time...

In Remembrance

Air guns

Like that are a different story. I've been looking for one of the larger bore guns and have also thought of making my own. Don't let me discourage you. At one point in my life I worked with a six stage compressor. The technology is there we just have to use it. Sometimes fire stations surplus out high pressure compressors and I have had my eye out for one of those. The larger air guns are a fun hobby in areas where firearms are highly restricted also. Tell me more about your gun and ammo in 9mm. I have always thought a 30 caliber would be good.

Life is good

actually, that thought just crossed my mind yesterday. but, i think i would have to have a mold custom made. i shoot a 5mm sheridan. pellets are hard enough to come by. i cant imagine ANYONE making a 5mm airgun mold, let alone a hollow base 5mm mold. i will probably have to shoot boughten pelets.

Boolit Master

Compressed air works

I don't think casting boolets can or should be limited to powder burning, either Black or Smokeless.
    Count me among the interested. The larger the caliber the better.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master
    Shooter, one of the first mould group buys was for a .177 pellet mould. so we're OK with boolits for air guns or even sling shots.

Have you tried 000 buck in your 9mm air rifle? Hornady makes their 000 too small but .360 is standard. It would be soft enough, and it's graphited which would serve for lube.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.

Airgun Precision

Just so you know.
    The ten ring on a standard 10 meter (33 feet) airgun target measures 0.5 mm in diameter which is about the size of a period "." at the end of a sentence. I coach junior shooters that regularly score tens offhand with iron sights.

Blacksmith

PS - I can't do it eyes are too old.

Boolit Mold

.177 mold ? wow, I thought .22 was borderline

I have a .22 mold that was designed for air gun barrels but I 've never tried it yet. I understand that there were stability problems with the design of the boolit and the thinking was that it needed to be supersonic to stabilize. It was said to do better shot backwards... it is a boat tail spitzer design and boy, does it look tiny to me. I will try to cast a few when I get up and running. I can definitely get 'em supersonic.. I'll be curious to see if I can even make one, regardless of how it performs. Can I expect to do well enough with pure lead or do I need a smidge of tin due to the small size of the boolit ? I've been reading here steadily for several days now and haven't melted anything yet, LOL.
    For the 9mm, I do well with the .360 Hornady ball and a .356 boolit made by a dedicated airgunner. I have a mold I'm going to send to Buckshot to be modified, a 6 cav. .356" Lee. I also have a round ball and a 2 cav. 102 gr Lee mold, so I have plenty to play with. I spent all day working on a friend's air rifle or I'd have tried some casting today.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter58 View Post
    This being a boolit forum, I suppose I shouldn't get carried away about airguns... I'd welcome PM's or email though... I'm a shameless airgun enabler, will bend your ear a long time...
    Are you kidding?

Bigbore airguns are the boolit casters dream come true to many. No primer, powder, or case required, propellant ranges from cheap, to free, and accuracy that leaves most handguns in the dust.

Do a search for bigbore airguns on here, and you should find some posts I have made about these airguns.

LeftoverDJ was kind enough to send me samples of several designs awhile back (thanks again. LeftoverDJ) and I used the last Lyman#45266 I had to take out the brain of a small eater boar. I need to get me some more of those #45266's....they were very accurate out of my power-tuned SamYang 909.

Lee 452252 compliments of LeftoverDJ. These are going around 650fps.

Carnage from a #45266 (again, from LeftoverDJ) at around 700fps.

LeftoverDJ also sent me some 452389's that displayed impressive accuracy at 25 meters.

Devastators at around 740-750fps recovered from saturated phonebooks.

The latest and greatest in bigbore airgun hunting boolits.... the WFN series (approx 240, 250, 265, and 275 grains). This grouping is three shots of the approx. 240grain version, shot at 50 yards (off the steady stix). Only group I shot that day with them after getting sighted-in. Small squares are .5 inch. Impressive!

Soon I will have an air rifle that will have you all flabbergasted. Handgun-range Elk rifle type impressive, using a 340grain .45 slug. Could go bigger, but why?
    Last edited by Butcher45; 11-22-2009 at 09:34 PM.

Boolit Mold

Familiar name...

Hi Butcher,
    I recognize your login from the yellow forum and maybe others I think. Yeah, I’m lusting after a .45 myself later on. I have a Sam Yang Sumatra which I really like, and have read about the modded 909’s… impressive.
    I have been reading and re-reading stuff on here prior to trying any casting. I don’t want to meet the tinsel fairy, for sure… a learning curve on the boolits, I expect, but I’ll get there. I have 15 years worth of flattened pellets to turn into boolits, that’s a start. I need to get mold lube and then I should be ready for an attempt, think I have everything else.

Boolit Master

Shooter58,

I have been interested in large bore airguns for a long time, just could not aford one when available. I spent a few hours at the cody firearms museum a few hears ago when they had the airgun exhibit. I have to say there were a lot of options int he mid 1800's for airgunners.

I have some corbin LSWC swage dies that might be able to crank out some dead soft lead, not sure but I think I have a hollow base punch. These woudl make a semi wadcutter or button nose WC type bullet. I can also make a hollow base WC or a button base longer nose SWC.

Also have a set of c-h swage dies for HP and FN, only have flatbase punch fo these.

All of these would be smooth sided and not sure if that would carry the lube you need.

If interested I could post some pictures.

Boolit Mold
    Casting lead for airguns is a very popular passtime here (The Netherlands). I've seen .224, .25, .266, .32, .38, .45 and .50 being shot in small, medium and bigbore airguns in various shapes. Largest output sofar: 675ft/lbs or so, and that wasn't even the largest caliber I've 5 .224 moulds myself, and I'm working on getting my Daystate Airranger .223 in order. Guesstimated output, around 120 ft/lbs by the time I'm done, shooting 55 grain boolits.

So yeah, it's being done, and on a fairly large scale too, at least out here. The reason of course is availability and price of those big slugs. Besides, it's fun.

Boolit Mold

Pure or alloy ?

Are you using pure lead or a soft alloy ? I bought some cast bullets which were too hard. I think I'll start with casting pure lead and see how I do.

Boolit Master
    Where about would you look for an airgun mold for 7 to 9 gr in .177 or 14 to 18 gr in .22 cal?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter58 View Post
    Are you using pure lead or a soft alloy ? I bought some cast bullets which were too hard. I think I'll start with casting pure lead and see how I do.
    Pure lead, in general. I once dumped the contents of my pellet trap into the pot and cast ingots from that. Sometimes I drop one of those into the melt which gives me a nice alloy to cast from. Nice and shiny, well filled out and yet not too hard. What's in it I've no clue but it works.

Casting actual airgun pellets...I don't know. It could be done, I guess. I know Corbin has a die for its swaging presses which yields airgun pellets, and I vaguely recall the existance of a mould for casting. I've a .22 mould for airgun pellets, actually. It's a pointy pellet and a royal pain to cast. They came in .177, .20, .22 and .25. They're known as "LEM" moulds.

A while ago I asked about having a .20 (5.05mm) mould made, but that was cost prohibitive. I was basically after a scaled down .224 to shoot in my Evanix AR5, preferably with a weight of around 25 grains.

So yeah, there's a lot to be found. Unfortunately there's a lot of questions and few answers.

Here's some links for ya:

http://www.beemans.net/airgun_projectiles.htm
    http://www.airgundevelopment.com/mold.html
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26567
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40756
    http://www.airgunforum.net/agf/index...howtopic=44546

.22 AirForce Condor

I was thinking about buying a .22 caliber AirForce Condor (supposed to be the most powerful .22 air rifle on the market today... and accurate too) and casting little bitty .22 HP boolits for it. Am I nut's? Supposidly the Condor drives 30 grain pellets to over 900 fps and can produce several (about 15, IIRC) accurate shots on a single fill at that velocity. It'll drive lighter pellets supersonic but the accuracy falls apart. I was thinking of getting a .22 caliber boolit mold even though I've never cast anything smaller than .30 cal and having it hollow pointed to get the weight down to about 25 grains. Is this doable or just a recipe for frustration?

Basically, I want to use the gun for the same type of shooting that would normally be done with a .22 rimfire. I don't know at this point what the bore/groove diameters of the Condor's Lothar Walther barrel are; however, the rate of twist is 1:16.

Thanks,
    MJ

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    I was thinking about buying a .22 caliber AirForce Condor (supposed to be the most powerful .22 air rifle on the market today... and accurate too) and casting little bitty .22 HP boolits for it. Am I nut's? Supposidly the Condor drives 30 grain pellets to over 900 fps and can produce several (about 15, IIRC) accurate shots on a single fill at that velocity. It'll drive lighter pellets supersonic but the accuracy falls apart. I was thinking of getting a .22 caliber boolit mold even though I've never cast anything smaller than .30 cal and having it hollow pointed to get the weight down to about 25 grains. Is this doable or just a recipe for frustration?

Basically, I want to use the gun for the same type of shooting that would normally be done with a .22 rimfire. I don't know at this point what the bore/groove diameters of the Condor's Lothar Walther barrel are; however, the rate of twist is 1:16.

Thanks,
    MJ

If you want to truly use the rifle like a .22RF, and also want to cast your own HP's, then I would suggest you go with .25 caliber instead. That way you could keep the weight of those HP's up to take advantage of the power, and make casting the slugs a bit easier.

The difference in power between .22, and .25 is like night and day.

I highly suggest the Sumatra over the Condor. Much easier to dial-in, and has just as much, if not more power than the Condor. I am under the impression you will get a higher shot count with the Sumatra as well (especially with the 500cc version).

I have steered others from the Condor to the Sumatra, and they have no regrets what-soever.

The Sumatra is also a 6 shot lever action repeater........huge advantage over the slow-loading Condor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast