Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading the 45/70

Boolit Master
    Like Sprue. I like unique as my first choice for just about any bullet weight I have ( I have 6 different moulds rangeing from a 292 gr. lyman to a lee 500 gr mould. My favorite is the 500 gr. Lee with 13 grs. unique at 1100 fps. It does great out to 500 yards on the steel buffalo target, at the long range cowboy shoots I go to. I won that shoot twice with 7 out 10 hits. It is a very mild load with an 8# sharps. I would not hesitate to take a dear or elk with it. At a hundred yards. It will shoot 2" groups all day long. The Lee mould is a cowboy bullet with nice deep grease groves. It is a long pointed bullet kind of like a spire point bullet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by clintsfolly View Post
    hi i am using a 450 marlin in a boltgun and so far 457122 at 2200 = 1 1/2 " all the way through very little bloodshot meat Clint
    Hey Clint,

How bad does that beat you up and what powder you using? I'm using RCBS 405 grain GC out of my Marlin GG .450 over 31 grains IMR4198 and it's clocking 1290 but is a very comfortable load. I'm not sure my old shoulder can take 2K feet/s in this gun....

Art

PS -- no deer kills with this yet, too afraid to tear up a lot of meat

Boolit Master
    That Lee 457-340f Looks like a short version of their 405 gr. bullet. Does anyone know for sure? I have the 405, it's great, will kill anything that walks, flies, swims, or crawls and at moderate velocity. It's like that bunny, it just keeps going and going and... Does Lee still offer the 340? I'd like a lighter bullet to try. Which size roundball? Thanks

Vendor Sponsor
    any advice on some very mild loads for an old Trapdoor? I just plan to enjoy it out to maybe 100 yards with some real mild loads to knock over bowling pinsand big bore plinkin. Have a 405 gr. Lee mold, thanks

Boolit Master
    For mild loads with the 405 Lee I'd try Trail Boss. Shoots relatively clean, meters well through most measures, and it's bulk takes up quite a bit of space in the voluminous 45/70 case.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Vendor Sponsor
    Thanks Dframe, I have some Trail Boss in my supply, I'll try some

Boolit Master
    Hey a .457 round ball with 3gr Unique will totally rip a tree rat in to with as little noise as a pellet gun. Ask me how I know!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Sr View Post
    any advice on some very mild loads for an old Trapdoor? I just plan to enjoy it out to maybe 100 yards with some real mild loads to knock over bowling pinsand big bore plinkin. Have a 405 gr. Lee mold, thanks
    A case full of FFG will do it nicey. You will need a crimp, though to get complete combustion.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

hi taz i am using 55grs aa2230 with a GC set upside down in the case then use the boolit to seat the GC. recoil is not bad but my rifle scales at 10.25 lbs Clint

Crabo, looks like the same boolit I'm shooting out of my Guide Gun this year. The GB 405? Had used the 457122 for several years and loved it. Came across a very big pig last year and its performance was questionable. So decided to step up in weight. Was out shooting my tender hunter barrel one day with this load and thought I'd try in my GG. Great accuracy with a velocity of 1400fps. SR 4759, 25gr, under the pan lubed, unsized slug. Gives me 1.5 in groups at 100 yd with an old K3 Weaver scope.
    If it doesn't shoot an ounce of lead, its a wimp load.

Boolit Mold
    I have a tc contender 4570. for plinking ha ha I iuse 60 grs of pyrdoex juse like the bp load and a 300 grainer for big stuff 45 gr of re7 and a 405. I know a 4570 in a 14 inch bbl is way over bore but it is fun espally wher you got guys braging about there 44 mags which I love greatly as a hand gun round Have a good day god Bless

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12