WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Tumble lube AND pan lube the same boolit.

Boolit Buddy

Tumble lube AND pan lube the same boolit.

I wonder about the possibility of tumble lubing my Lee 170fp GC boolit, letting it dry, then pan lubing as per my usual method of JUST melting the Lar2500 + with the boolits standing up in the lube pan. Will the LLA melt off?? Or should I try this sequence in reverse order?? Just something to ponder on.
    Jeff

Moderator Emeritus
    What do you seek to achieve by double lubing?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Banned

LLA will melt at the flow temp of 2500, if that answers your question. If you're using a quality lube like 2500, why mess with LLA? If you want lube on the nose, lube and load with 2500 in the grooves as normal and then just "dip lube" the exposed boolit after loading in a VERY diluted mix of LLA/JPW/paint thinner in a cup and let drip dry by suspending nose down with wooden clothspins on a wire. Make certain that there is no lube on the outside of the case neck as this could cause excessive pressure when firing.

Gear

[edit] ya beat me to it again, Dromia!

Smile

I've tumble lubed and then dip lubed rifle boolits. I don't think well dried LLA will come off in pouring the pan lube.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

You can use LLA for sizing the boolit and installing the gas check, than use the regular lube to fill the grooves.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I've tumble lubed and then dip lubed rifle boolits. I don't think well dried LLA will come off in pouring the pan lube.

I think you are right. In the Lee reloading manual they show a propane torch melting a lead boolit with LLA, and the LLA is not coming off.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I don't know your reasoning for double lube but if you pan lube that should be enough. But if you want to double lube it looks like to me that pan lubing first then tumble lubing next would be the way to go.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    I don't know your reasoning for double lube but if you pan lube that should be enough. But if you want to double lube it looks like to me that pan lubing first then tumble lubing next would be the way to go.
    This what I do with my one boolit as it leads the barrel after a 50 +rd match if I dont. I pan lube with 2500+ first ,chex it then give it a light tumble in thinned LLA. But most boolits are fine with just 2500+ as it is a very good lube alone.

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Really this was just one of those "what if" things. I was thinking it would be the best of both worlds. Lube in the grooves and lube on the driving surfaces. Not necessary I know, but a brain fizzle all the same!!!!
    The 2500+ is some good stuff fo sho!!!!
    Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    What do you seek to achieve by double lubing?
    My wife asks me.......................... oh nevermind

Jeff

Smile

I do it when I want the LLA coat on a long bore rider, and the grooves filled with the waxy lube. As mentioned above, that could be done also by dipping the nose after loading, but I think it's easier tumbling them in bulk, letting them dry, and then lubing the grooves. (Which I do by holding the nose and dipping the body in molten lube.) I've done the nose dip thing in molten lube as well, but that can get messy in shooting.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post

... I pan lube with 2500+ first ,chex it then give it a light tumble in thinned LLA.

Tim

Doesn't the gas check form the bottom edge of the last lube groove? Shouldn't you check first, or at least at the same time as you lube/size in a lube press.

Boolit Master
    A lot of guys use a diluted LLA (with mineral spirits) to pre-lube before sizing and seating GCs
    It takes a lot of muscle out of the sizing process.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    I tumble lube all my boolits before sizing and adding checks. Usually that's sufficient. When I'm reloading a batch for hunting and expect the velocity to be around 1900 fps or above, I also pan lube them with Felix lube. I cast my 45-70 boolits quite soft and "double lube" those if they're going to be driven above 1400 fps and it seems to cut down on the leading in my Marlin. However, I can't say that a heavier coating of LLA wouldn't be just as effective.
    Maineboy

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Hunter View Post
    Doesn't the gas check form the bottom edge of the last lube groove? Shouldn't you check first, or at least at the same time as you lube/size in a lube press.
    Maybe if you do it in a lubersizer ,But since I'm still poor/Frugal I still pan lube and use my homemade chex ,If I would chex first it would come off when I pull the boolit outa the lube I pan lube a little different than most.but it works well for me and its a little faster IMO

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!