Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Scales?

Boolit Grand Master

I'd be in for probably 2 at that price, depending on the actual model we're talking about. I'll check back and see if a decision is made.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I'd be in for one as well. It sounds like just the setup for sorting brass and bullets. BD

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45
    They are made by MyWeigh, they have a 30 year warranty and US service center. I just got the catalog and I'm looking through for different ones that would be useable. They have some calibration weights also. Some models come with them and others don't.
    The first one that I was looking at had a typo in the specs. It only weighs to .2gns. There are others that go to .1gn though.
    I'm trying to finish up some school projects to graduate this spring, but I am continueing to work on it.
    I'll keep you updated.

Thanks, I have tried to get some shooting buddies to get some and those questions keep getting asked. ...buck

Dealer price on the Ultra ship 50 is $23. so $30 shipped isn't that bad. Where did you get yours from. maybe it would be easier to go through a dealer and get a few instead of ordering 100 and trying to find homes for them.
    I was wrong, got the paperwork out and it was $33. Got it off ebay from old will knott. I believe he has a website.

jim

Boolit Mold
    I would be interested in at least one maybe as many as five at the 20 something price range.
    Last edited by big uns; 04-30-2005 at 02:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Any more info on this? Is this going to happen?

Banner Sponsor

trying to get through finals and graduate on saturday, then I'll get it going.

Lars,
    Good luck with the exams!
    Cheers,
    R*2
    A population of sheep will beget a government of wolves.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by wcshooter
    I purchased a scale from MEADOWPINES on ebay. Cost me about $50.00 total. Not as good as my RCBS 10-10 beam scale for power trickling, but for weighing gas checks, primers, boolits, cases and loaded rounds works just fine and it's real fast. Can be recalubrated if ya overload it. Go to ebay, click on buy, put in 4983954661 and hit search. Should bring it up for you to look at.
    I purchased one of those Meadowpine scales on ebay

It won't even give an accurate reading on the calibration weight that came with it!

I tried everything I can figgure out;
    Changed the batteries,
    re-calibrate as per the instructions using the included 50 g weight.

Then, after turning it back on, I test with the 50g weight and it reads anywhere from 43 g to 48 g.

I compare bullets against my balance beam scale and it is usually at least 10 grains off.

Today I weighed a 158 gr SWC 38 bullet (scale read 174 gr), then took the weight off, waited a minute and put the same bullet back on and the scale read 144 gr!

I give up on that stupid thing!! I can't trust it for anything. If I were to use it for re-loading I'd wind up getting hurt for sure.

Stay away from these things!
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buck1
    Im in for one! and I will a few local casters as well, and will update this post. Buck
    Make that two! a buddy of mine wants in also. ...buck

Boolit Master

Let me know wihen you get done with finals and graduation, I'd like to get one.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

On Heaven's Range

There's that old caveat about "getting what you pay for"......

I take Cayoot's comments VERY SERIOUSLY. I also find it a bit odd that no-one else has even mentioned his results. From what he says, that particular "bargain" scale he has is a piece of garbage. I've been seeing these various cheapos on Ebay for quite a while now, but never got quite interested enough to send off even that small amount of my hard-earned cash. I would like to have a battery-powered digital scale on my loading bench in Der SChuetzenwagen, but...

When it comes to powder charges, we have to very leery indeed. Guns, fingers and eyes are much too precious to risk at the whims of an unreliable scale.

Even if we were to obtain a single sample and it worked passably well, that would only prove that ONE single specimen worked OK. What about all the others? Who knows? Quality control (or lack of it) is a very convenient area to save money when trying to get the product out the door at lowest-possible cost.

I also try to save money wherever possible, but in this particular case, I'll sit out. Not trying to rain on the parade, but just sounding a note of caution. Be careful, gents. You're all needed right here.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB
    There's that old caveat about "getting what you pay for"......

Even if we were to obtain a single sample and it worked passably well, that would only prove that ONE single specimen worked OK. What about all the others? Who knows? Quality control (or lack of it) is a very convenient area to save money when trying to get the product out the door at lowest-possible cost.
    Not trying to rain on the parade, but just sounding a note of caution. Be careful, gents. You're all needed right here.
    Very good point! I have many scales, my intention is to check it against the others, for the price I understand it might be a ***, but if I get a good one, it might work out, if not, into the trash.

Generous Donator

Lightbulb

If it won't hold zero or it doesn't weigh the same all the time 2 things come to mind. One is Static electricity. Wipe it down with a dryer fabric sheet. 2nd is you have a small breeze blowing over it. They are sensitive to breezes. Mark

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the warning! I just want a scale to cull bullets,my PACT will handle the powder. So I'm still in if it all pans out....buck

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I ahve also heard flourescant lights can make digital scales weird, I would only use one for sorting boolits or brass for weight, never ever for powder.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Willbird
    I ahve also heard flourescant lights can make digital scales weird, I would only use one for sorting boolits or brass for weight, never ever for powder.

Bill
    Digital scales are fine for powder. I shoot long range competitions and my measured loads come off my Pact, more for quickness. As I said previously, its best to have a couple scales to cross check now and then. I have a lyman beam scale that can't be trusted, and a Ohaus that is my beanchmark. With the new digital powder measure/scale systems, I would guess more competition loads are comming off these than the balance beam. I have had the Pact for over 10 years and can recommend it.
    The top cometition loaders seem to like the Denver digital scales, but they are several hundred bucks, they will measure one flake of powder, its just how far you want to go with the accuracy, the Pact seems right around .1 to .2 grain accuracy, which is plenty for me.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    To each his own, I have been using my 505 for 35 of my 40 years....I don't really cotten to digital micrometers either, calipers are fine for some reason hehe. But I could not bring myself to use a digital scale to weigh powder....too old fashioned I guess.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    I would love a digital scale, weighing boolits on a balance beam is a pain in DA butt! I too prefer calipers that do not need batteries. I trust em a lot more. BUT a digital scale could make weighing boolits worth the time.

Boolit Master
    Did you get through it ok?? I didnt sound like too much fun!! ...buck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast