RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best black powder used

MICHIGAN,but rather be in alaska,or montanna

Best black powder used

Hi guys , id like to know in your thoughts,and exsperiances what black powder you have used,and like the best,, i have a ruger old army45 7 1/2 barrel,,,a t/c 54 cal renagade flawless,, my sons cva 44 black powder , i also own a few of thomspson encores,,209x50 rifle,and a 209x50 15 inch pistol.=i have yet to shoot the 209x50 pistol,or the 54 renagade, but planning on it soon. I hear people say pyrodex,,others say 777,,,goex,ect,,,but they dont say why,,, i have heard little but good things about swiss. Your thoughts---
    Last edited by whitetailsniper; 05-20-2010 at 05:22 AM.

I used Dupont until the plant was destroyed in the early 70s. Since then I've used Goex and Elephant. I've used much more Goex than anything else and use 3f for everything.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

for inlines, Blackhorn209 .. Why? Ive shot 60 shots without ever swabbing the bore and never had a crud ring.

I started out in the 80's shooting Pyrodex RS because thats what all my friends used. I tried a powder called Black Canyon that shot good but it didn't have a shelf life worth snot. If you shot a pound in a short time it was ok. Next I shot Goex 2f black for years. I shoot Hodgdon Triple 7 now. I like the Triple 7 a lot. But really Goex is some great powder.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Swiss is the best black powder you can buy hands down. I won't use anything else. Highest velocities per grain, cleanest burn.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Been using Goex for decades, aint gonna stop any time soon
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

There is powder other than Goex, hmmmmmmm!

Boolit Buddy
    Go to powder inc and order 25lbs of Goex or KIK (I like KIK, performs as good or better than Goex but cheaper)

https://www.powderinc.com/cgi-bin/bp...ER_ID=!ORDERID!

Both are great powders and give the best performance per price. Swiss is better performance but price is higher.

Any of the 3 listed are the only way to go. Subs are not comparable for longevity or ease of ignition.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I had been using elephant until it went to the great elephant graveyard. I have been using Schutzen for the past few years. It seems to shoot moister, with less fouling than GOEX.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    GOEX... That is all I see anymore when I see any anymore up in the state of ILL..
    My dad was real fond of Harvey´s... And then Dupont which I got to use. But back then I was not real concered with all that fine edge accuracy stuff.
    Down here in Peru is a 3F type stuff that makes my 44-40 Winny SRC (1907) purr like a lion.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Swiss is the best for power and least amount of fouling. Have used a bunch of Schutzen in both cap guns and cartridge; currently it is all I have on hand. It is #2. Have shot Goex and Elephant too. Haven't personally tried KIK, but a buddy said it was better than Goex or Elephant.

-yarro

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    When I first started out with BPCR, I got some Swiss and it was great, now Swiss supplies have dried up in Queensland and it is any powder you like, so long as it is Wano FFg (every now and then we get some selection, and there is Wano FFFg on the shelf, too).
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings I took a look at Powderinc.com and they have been OUT of KIK since Dec... It was a good reasonable price also.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by hamour View Post
    Go to powder inc and order 25lbs of Goex or KIK (I like KIK, performs as good or better than Goex but cheaper)

https://www.powderinc.com/cgi-bin/bp...ER_ID=!ORDERID!

Both are great powders and give the best performance per price. Swiss is better performance but price is higher.

Any of the 3 listed are the only way to go. Subs are not comparable for longevity or ease of ignition.
    It does show that they have 3 F in stock. Just not the 2 F.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The reason that KIK is hard to find in stock is that the plant is closed and they are out of business. Powder Inc is selling off any left over stock not new powder received. Swiss is very clean shooting but cost on average $22 a pound. The Grafs' house brand is Wano that is made in Germany and it performs well. The Goex Cartridge will shoot almost as well as the Swiss and Goex Express for about $14 a pound. Some of the answers that were given say 777 and Pyrodex and Blackhorn 209 all of which are not BP at all. If you are going to shoot BP then stick with the real thing. Not a single want to be powder gives all the action of the real thing. I'm talking about the muzzle flash, sparkes and flames and the smell or "BOOM" Plus you can find deals on real BP in the $10 a pound if you do a buddy deal.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master

Cajun Shooter - I agree with you 110% that there is nothing as good a real Holy Black. HOWEVER, some of us live in areas where you cannot get any and are forced to use subs. I have a stash of 3F that is solely used for my rocklocks. In fact I have even been known to put a priming charge down the bore ahead of Pyrodex or T7 to stretch what little I have left. As far as the subs go I prefer Triple 7. I never got good accuracy in my guns shooting Pyrodex. I tried Clearshot when it came out and that was a joke. If you didn't shoot the whole can within a couple of weeks after opening it you could forget about any decent accuracy. It was very hygroscopic.

Triple 7 seems to give me good accuracy/velocity. Is very easy to clean up and is easily lit off. I tried some Blackhorn in my Renegade and it seemed to be a little harder to ignite (slight lag). Some sources say that is why it has the 209 in its name. Because it is supposedly made for inlines using a shotgun primer. Not to mention the fact that it sells for $42.00 for 10 ounces in my neck of the woods.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I like the kind that goes bang when the flint strikes the frizzen. I have used what was cheepest in my shot guns for years. A case of 25 lb don't last long. As an observation, Some lots of pouder foul worse than others. I have had clean running bores with EL cheepo and had to put the barrels in the rain barrel during the days shoot. Same with the name brand stuff. If you get a clean running lot put it up for rifle, get more for the shotgun. I think some of the old girls will run on coal (wishful thinking)

When both of my sons were shooting out of my box we ( they could ) put a real dint in a case of pouder in a week, let alone shot and caps.

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

All I've ever used is Goex because it is made in the US.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Son View Post
    When I first started out with BPCR, I got some Swiss and it was great, now Swiss supplies have dried up in Queensland and it is any powder you like, so long as it is Wano FFg (every now and then we get some selection, and there is Wano FFFg on the shelf, too).
    There was some available at the nationals and the South Australians are importing it but it cannot be frieghted anywhere,pick up only. Pat

Boolit Master
    I have used all of the BP that is/was available and I would rate them as follows: Swiss, Curtis and Harv, Schutzen, Dupont, Goex cartridge, Goex, Kix, and Elephant. I have not tried the newer Goex or WANO powders (Shutzen is made by WANO) I shoot mostly Shutzen for Cartridge Rifles and Goex for ML but when I run out of Schtzen it will be back shooting Goex until I run out. I have found that I can get the accuracy I want with any of the powders I have tried so I mostly shoot what I can get cheaper these days of being retired.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast