Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 525 & NEF UltraSLug

phaessler,

On the pressure thing --- I wasn't trying to insult you, I was honestly concerned, pressure signs in shotguns and pressure signs in rifles are not the same.

On the down range Chrony thing --- Yes, if you know a bullets B.C. you can indeed just do the math to figure down range velocity and energy. However, if you don't know the B.C. you e-mail the mold manufacture and they admit "they don't have that information available" and just give you an educated guess the only way to accuratly determine the B.C. is to measure the projectiles velocity at two different points in it's flight path. The farther appart those two points are the more accurate will by the experimentally determined B.C. The manufactures do something very similar under significantly more controlled conditions (fixed/mounted pressure guns with known down range impact points) to come up with the most accurate B.C. for their bullets. I'm not talking about shielding the slug just from wads and other debree, I'm talking about completely shielding the Chrony to protect against even a direct hit with a way-ward slug regardless of whether it be operator error or a flier produced by component failures.

Banned
    Greetings here's yet another good post about Lyman 525 slug.
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=118&t=127716
    Hope you will enjoy it.
    Ajay Madan
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

Too windy to play today, hoping for a calm clear Monday. Will work on getting some post test pics up, i.e. hulls, slugs, wads. Need to spend the time doing it.

Pete

I hunted today and might as well have gone to the range.
    I just loaded some with RE17 and a few with 2400.

I'm going to try a few with 45 grains of Blue Dot and your wad configuration. I'd sure like to get my groups as tight as yours.

This could be a lifes work...but sure is fun.

Ok, well finally took the time to take some pictures ofthe recovered components from shooting.

These were recovered the 50gn BlueDot loads, the hull is shown to illustrate the deformity at the ejector location. The ejector bulge measures 0.008" in height. I have loaded a new batch for shooting tommorrow , if the weather holds out. Going to substitue some Remington hulls, as well as some Winchester, both appear to be a straight hull design upon disection (was a tearful event to cut good hulls), as well as the brass being almost twice the thickness of the Fiocchi hull.

The slug, without glue weighed in at 518gn, it was recovered from the 200yd berm, it obviously hit something in the berm and is smeared over in the 9-12 oclock postion. But it weighs 510gn. now.

Other components look good, minimal scorching, and clean cut rifling marks. As well as the wad petals are intact and rifle marked also.

Pete

Banned
    Hello Pete your picture above tells a good happy story. If I were you I would back off another 2 grains for safety. Can you please mention if FS12 flex seal was at on top of the powder or
    Obturator 12 wad as it held up very well!
    Ajay Madan

Managed to get out this morning for a little shooting. Was interesting to see the other hulls performance, or lack of. Remington hulls were reused buckshot hulls, loaded with 44gn BlueDot and the identical set of components I have been using all along, groups were 2" at 100yds, and alot of unburnt powder. Winchesters were reused hulls from 2's, origin unknown, but the groups were horrible 4"+ with an identical set of components/charge. Both hulls were 3", Remington a 6pt fold, Winchester an 8pt. fold. Not sure how well these hulls are sealing with the two seals/wad I am using, the fit seemed a little looser than with the FIocchi hulls.
    Took a chamber cast, and did it take alot of cerrosafe, thought it would never fill. The throat definently needs some polishing, reamer marks are very prominent, and the ejector is 0.010" lower than the chamber, might try refitting it, read something about a spring and shim set-up to help this.
    Planning on sending some loaded rounds out for pressure testing after Christmas, will need to get casting though, amazing how quickly you burn thru these things.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by phaessler View Post
    Managed to get out this morning for a little shooting. Was interesting to see the other hulls performance, or lack of. Remington hulls were reused buckshot hulls, loaded with 44gn BlueDot and the identical set of components I have been using all along, groups were 2" at 100yds, and alot of unburnt powder. Winchesters were reused hulls from 2's, origin unknown, but the groups were horrible 4"+ with an identical set of components/charge. Both hulls were 3", Remington a 6pt fold, Winchester an 8pt. fold. Not sure how well these hulls are sealing with the two seals/wad I am using, the fit seemed a little looser than with the FIocchi hulls.
    Took a chamber cast, and did it take alot of cerrosafe, thought it would never fill. The throat definently needs some polishing, reamer marks are very prominent, and the ejector is 0.010" lower than the chamber, might try refitting it, read something about a spring and shim set-up to help this.
    Planning on sending some loaded rounds out for pressure testing after Christmas, will need to get casting though, amazing how quickly you burn thru these things.
    Pete
    I have to admit Pete, this is a good meticulous test.
    I'm enjoying it.

Banned
    Hello Pete you hit the jackpod. With 2 inch groups at 100 yards you cant ask for any more while others can only dream off it. You mentioned unburned powder than all I can say is use Fed 209A primer and you'll need a longer barrel to give it a chance to burn. A 24 inch rifled barrel should help. Please let me know which wad is on top of your powder, Flexseal or the other Obturator 12.
    Thank you.
    Ajay Madan

Sorry Ajay, I load them : powder;OB12;FS12;wad cup/slug. I hear the 209A's are hot,and may help out here, but using CCI's now.
    Personally I think I might like to try some 2400, just need to sit down and figure out a starting point, and start all over. Oh boy.... But I have had good results switching from BlueDot before in some cast centerfire loads.
    Also need to start casting more, picked up another mold and some Lee handles two might make it faster, but tough with the Holiday fast approaching.

Pete

Managed to cast up almost 150 slug this morning, before the "snow" came. PLenty of time for reloading/gun cleaning now.
    Anyone else ?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by phaessler View Post
    Managed to cast up almost 150 slug this morning, before the "snow" came. PLenty of time for reloading/gun cleaning now.
    Anyone else ?

Pete
    I patched a hole in my shop roof and split wood. Considering the amount of snow we're getting, I'll get all my guns cleaned tomorrow and maybe a few more cases made.

Got to get out and get some pictures early.

This was our last snow:

Banned
    Good morning Peter either you Stop showing those beautifull pictures or be ready to be a host to us. Great pictures, keep em coming.
    Yes you are colorfull and may I add spicy and love to play with guns that kick like a mule.
    Peter did you look up and say Thank you?

I'm lucky I found some good friends here to name a few like Pete and Peter
    Happy Holidays to you and your near and dear ones.
    Ajay Madan

Very nice pond Peter, ours is quite smaller, but I do enjoy it. Spent the day doing snow removal, even did my neighbors driveway and the road from my house to the main road, gotta love VDOT, only 1.5 miles to the main road, but then drove by and were staring at me.
    Loading some more tommorrow, and sending them to Precision Reloading for pressure data.
    My new ejector came today, and its 0.004" thicker on the radius where it has been leaving marks on the brass. Looks like a joy to install.

Ajay and Peter, hope y'all have a wonderful and safe holiday season also.
    Post you snow totals when you get a chance too.... 16" in the front yard here.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by VdoMemorie View Post
    Peter did you look up and say Thank you?

Ajay Madan
    I did Ajay. That's a big compliment coming from a talented photographer like yourself.

Pete, 15" and still going here.

Merry Christmas to you both!

Well, back to the range this week, deer season behind me , time to get back to business.
    Hope all had a great holiday season.

Pete

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Out of curiosity, have any of you that are using the Lyman sabot slug recovered any?

So far every hollow base slug I have shot and recovered has belled and/or collapsed enough to distort it.

This includes:

- Lyman Foster
    - Rapine 730560
    - Rapine 660500
    - slugs from home made moulds with up to 0.100" thick skirts
    - oven heat treated slugs

I have tried cushion wad legs, fiber wads, hard card wads, glue filled cavities and combinations of glue filled, thick skirt and oven heat treated.

Oops! One exception ~ a Dixie Tusker which did not distort and I am sure could have been loaded again. However, accuracy from a smoothbore was not very good. This slug was designed for rifled barrels though.

I recently recovered a Lyman sabot slug shot by someone else and it was collapsed as well, but quite evenly as far as I coud tell.

My slug testing has all been with smoothbore and generally with a moderate load of Blue Dot.

I have decided to pursue something more like a Brenneke with solid body and attached basewad.

Just wondering what others have found. I cannot see how consistent accuracy is possible if the slug deforms while firing unless the deformation is symmetrical and exactly the same each time.

If your slugs are not distorting then why are mine?

Longbow
    I fired the lyman slugs into fiberfill and what was coming out of the end of the bbl looked nothing like what I cast, it swaged down to a short little lead cylinder that was about 1/2 caliber long. I have seen ones people fired into deer that ended up looking exactly the same. I cast some up out of lino once, they did not distort much at all but they did not shoot well at all from a mossberg rifled bbl.

The whole slug thing would be fun if you could get somebody ELSE to shoot them, shooting those suckers rattles your teeth .

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Man
    The ones I use are cast out of #2 bullet aloy or WW not pure lead. At max load of blue dot at 100yds. they don't look distorted at all after getting them from dirt birm.

I cant comment on the deformation on game, but the two I have used so far, pass throughs, and the game didnt go 10 feet. Its large frontal meplat is like standing in front of a freight train from what I observe.
    Too cold to shoot here today, kids back in school, and life returning to normal. Just wish the wind would calm down.
    Pete

Boolit Man
    Most of my deer have been bang flop with the lymans. I've had one deer I had to follow up on and that was my fault. Hit him to far back quartering toward me clipped on lung and the liver. All shots have been pass throughs

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast