Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: New machine tool for the shop

Boolit Master

New machine tool for the shop

About four months ago I acquired a Gromax Tool and Cutter grinder, a model G40. I have been so busy that I haven't had the chance to do much with it other than just get it moved into the shop. It is a 2006 model but was never even wired up and put under power. A couple of weeks ago I hooked up the proper size multiconductor rubber coated cable and 3 phase plug to the machine. I can plug it in to the 3 phase outlet I have on the wall between the new machine and my little Rockwell horizontal mill. I can run either machine but not both, which is not a problem.

It comes with a whole toolbox full of basic workholding equipment and grinding wheels. I have the owners manual, which shows the use of all the basic hardware. I have a lot to learn, but I know what I want to do and I'm pretty sure this machine will do it. It will sharpen endmills, facemills, reamers, flat drills, twist drills (with an additional accessory), single point lathe tools, etc. I'm hoping I can use it to make some form tools for cutting some bullet molds on a lathe, and some other special tools to speed up production on some of the things I make.

A few years ago I got a couple of KO Lee T & C grinders that needed to be overhauled, and along with them I got this spindex-type fixture with a cross slide head which right now has a diamond wheel dressing point in it. It is set up to cut internal and external radii on grinding wheels, but could be adapted to other uses. I've had the old KO Lees in storage, but now that I've got a bigger, better machine I'm going to scrap them out.

Hope to get ahead of things enough that I can play with my new tool/toy over the holiday break.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gromax01.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	54903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gromax03.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	54904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gromax05.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	54905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gromax07.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	54906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gromax08.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	54907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gromax10.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	54908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gromax11.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	54909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spindex02.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	54910

Boolit Master

New toys, um, I mean tools is a good thing, hoping ya get some of the irons out of the fire so you have time to play, um, I mean learn to use your new tools..
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Congratulations, man am I jealous!

Since I quit helping out at the local community college shop, and using their tool and cutter grinder, that nobody at the college knows how to use, I've had to use my surface grinder and an old cutter grinder that I rebuilt to sharpen end mills, better than nothing, but still not the easiest to use. I keep saying I'm going to buy a real one, but don't know where I'd put it in the shop.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    That would also work great for grinding od's of various parts!