Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free

Boolit Mold

I was unable to find any JPW in my area so decided to gamble and try Trewax instead... I've had excellent results with it. Trewax also contains carnuba.
    No matter how bad the situation seems... No matter how dark the future seems... There is always someone to turn to... JESUS!

I whupped up a batch of Recluses recipe and admit that I had more than 10% mineral spirits but still had good results. I sized about 500 boolits and they just slid through the lee sizer. I was IMPRESSED! I havent had a chance to shoot any yet but am just itching to.

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    One of the problems I was having with straight LLA was that it seemed like it never completely dried. So, I tried thinning it with mineral spirits, which helped, but then I kept wondering if I had enough (lube) on the boolits. Hence, a second coat--which then seemed to never completely dry.

So I kept dickering around with blending the JPW and LLA together until I found a mix I liked. Still being a bit paranoid about tacky/sticky boolits, I found that by doing a light tumble-lubing, let dry, size, then a second-light tumble-lubing, the end result was a batch of boolits properly sized, properly lubed, and not sticky/tacky.

Man it sure dries here in the desert , not sure why.
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Master

fat & ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Fly-guy View Post
    bkid- thanks!

www.starlinebrass.com for any other old, fat & ugly shooters out there like me.
    one for sure! skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Boolit Mold
    I too have some Alox 606-55.
    I have read sticky's directions for making 45/45/10 alox/JPW/mineral spirits mix.
    What proportions would I use with the 606-55 to get same 45/45/10 mix.
    Any special directions for mixing this up.
    I realize I could use the Lee Liquid Alox I also have on hand or get the XLOX for $10/quart plus shipping but I do have the 606-55 on hand already.
    TIA
    Never too late for a happy childhood

Boolit Mold

Question sizing tumble lube bullets...

I confess up front that I didn't read all 9 pages of posts on this topic...(did read page 1 and page 9).

I would add my thank you to Recluse for a very informative and CLEAR write up of how to do "it". I will definitely be trying the "mix" for the lube, as the stickiness results in pocket lint on the first round of any mag I put there!

I have been shooting the tumble lube bullets for 15 or more years, and have had excellent results in 45acp, 45 Colt, 38 spl, and 40 S&W. I have had lousy luck with the 125 TLTC bullet in 9mm.

My 45 works perfectly with the 230 gr. TLRN, and they shoot fine (action pistol matches, mostly short range...). Why would I size the bullets? I should mention that I use a Lee Factory Crimp die in station five of my XL650, in place of the Dillon crimp die. That seems to me to take care of any sizing issues that might exist, and it saves a step...

I haven't tried sizing any of the TL bullets except in my failed attempts to make the 9mm work...what am I missing?

Boolit Mold

Smile A source for Johnson's Paste Wax...

For what it's worth, I purchased a 16 oz. tin of JPW for $6.49 at Fred Meyer today. Although Freddy's is a Northwest chain, they are now owned by Kroger stores, which is nationwide, I think. Therefore, it seems like a possibility for Kroger's to have the product. It was in the detergent aisle with some other floor care products. A friend of mine also said he found some at True Value, which may also be nationwide....might be worth checking with Ace Hardware or any other real hardware store...

My "True Value" hardware store has it.

Or they did 'til I bought it all.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldGreybeard View Post
    I haven't tried sizing any of the TL bullets except in my failed attempts to make the 9mm work...what am I missing?
    Only reason I lube-size-lube is to eliminate the variable that any boolit might of a different size. By running them through the Lee pusher, I'm pretty much guaranteed that they will all be the same diameter. So, that eliminates one factor when I'm trying to eliminate causes/factors for a less-than-stellar performing load.

And for the record, in over thirty years, I've yet to get lead and 9mm to mix and play together nicely. I cast for 9mm and load just to plink or stay proficient at close range with.

When I need 9mm loads I can count on, I load with jacketed--and with very good results. But lead? Forget about it.

Boolit Mold

9mm and lead

Quoted from Recluse:
    And for the record, in over thirty years, I've yet to get lead and 9mm to mix and play together nicely. I cast for 9mm and load just to plink or stay proficient at close range with.

When I need 9mm loads I can count on, I load with jacketed--and with very good results. But lead? Forget about it.

[/QUOTE]

I have at least two molds that make lead bullets that work in 9mm, but have had no luck with the tumble lube bullet. My guess is that a bullet that weighed somewhere above 140 grains would work just fine...alas, I am too cheap to pay them to do a custom mold to prove that it would work, especially since they should have done it already!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldGreybeard View Post
    Quoted from Recluse:

I have at least two molds that make lead bullets that work in 9mm, but have had no luck with the tumble lube bullet. My guess is that a bullet that weighed somewhere above 140 grains would work just fine...alas, I am too cheap to pay them to do a custom mold to prove that it would work, especially since they should have done it already! [/QUOTE]

So just run some .38's through your 9mm sizer. No worse than sizing bullets that drop "fat".

Boolit Buddy
    Having been less than 100% pleased with pure LLA for tumble lubing my bullets and having lurked about here and read through the first page of this thread I gathered up a can of JPW and bought a quart of XLOX and a can of Paint Thinner (because it was '100% mineral spirits' and I have heard the 'odorless' was not.)

So I bummed a pot from the MRS and scooped out the pound of JPW and turned the heat on as low as I could get it. Then when it was almost all melted I measured out 16 oz of XLOX and poured it in. It mixed right in no problem. splashed an ounce or two of MS into the measuring cup and washed it a bit and into the pot it went. Did this about 3 times trying to get all the snot out of my measuring cup. Turned off the heat and went on to other things. Well once it cooled back to room temp (about 68* outside on the deck) it was, ummm, well, not as thick as water. Dipped a bit onto some bullets and tumbled around and it just ran right off.

OK...some quick math in the head...C$%p.... I think I have about twice the MS I should have. No prob, heat up till steaming a bit, temp off. Cool down, no change. Heat, cool, no change. Forget it. Left the cover off the pot and went to bed. 12 hrs later checked on it and at about 64* it was like chocolate pudding. A little splash of MS and stir, stir , stir. Another little splash, One more brought it to melted chocolate and into the 1/2 gal plastic milk jug it went.

Back to my bullets, kept turning the pile on the wax paper to bring the liquid to the top until I finally just dumped them all back into the tumbling jug and let em sit for a few hours before tumbling again and then dumping out to dry on fresh sheet of wax paper to dry overnight.

So after my epic fail and semi-miraculous recovery I finally read through the entire thread and "DOH" cook of the JPW solvents and add XLOX at 1 to 1 to whats left.

Should I try to find another can of JPW and cook it down and add it to my brew? It's carried at my local ACE, but they only carry 1 can at a time?!? Or do you think I'm close enough for Gov't work?

Thanks, Doug.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Sci-Fi, should the the mineral spirits should still be added after the Alox and JPW are mixed this way?

One other question - everything is measured by volume?

I also use the JPW + LLA + paint thinner .

I try for 1/3 of each ingredient .

I have never heated the stuff . It is not necessary with the additional paint thinner ( for a solvent ) .

God bless
    Wyr

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by greg1 View Post
    Merry Christmas!

I got a question. I am using you 45/45/10 mix of Johnson Paste Wax, Liquid Alox and mineral spirits and I am experiencing some leading. Enough that after 6 shots it will be noticeable looking down the bore. I cleaned the barrel and then used a Lewis Lead Remover and got lead on the bronze screen. Quiet a bit.

The load is for a .44 magnum. It is cast from wheel weights and tests around 12 BNH. It is loaded with the 240 grain Lee tumble lube bullet. I am pushing it with 8.5 gr. of Unique. The load clocked 1020 feet for an average on my chronograph. I tried this in a Ruger .44 that is new and a S&W Model 29 that has over 8000 rounds through it.

Should I slow it down or speed it up? I am new at casting and need advice.

Thank you,

Greg
    Try larger diameter bullets .

God bless
    Wyr

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron.D View Post
    I spent 2 hrs. today driving around town trying to buy Johnson's paste wax. Home Depot, Rona, Walmart, Home hardware, etc. I can find Trewax and Minwax, but no Johnson's. In my frustration I sent an email off to S C Johnson's. Within 4 hrs. I got a very nice reply from a lady named Connie, stating that they had discontinued the product, but would pass my request on. They would also be sending me a sample of alternate products Just when I find a solution to my undersized boolits, this shows up. Have any of you bought JPW recently?? My guess is that there must be a substitute. Anyone have any ideas where to go from here. This recipe's too good to scrap. Ron.D

What is your solution to undersized bullets ? Paper patching ?

God bless
    Wyr

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Only reason I lube-size-lube is to eliminate the variable that any boolit might of a different size. By running them through the Lee pusher, I'm pretty much guaranteed that they will all be the same diameter. So, that eliminates one factor when I'm trying to eliminate causes/factors for a less-than-stellar performing load.

I feel everyone's pain regarding 9mm cast boolits and leading the barrel. I have attached a pic of the 124 gr lee tl 9mm boolits I've recently processed. I hope that they show up as this is my first attempt to attach a pic to a thread. I too had leading even after tumble lubing with lla/jpw, sizing and re-tumble lubing. After trying several different things and about to lose all my hair, I think I have run into something that works for me. I ended up making up a little heavier mix of lla/jpw and not adding any ms. My ratio is approx 60/40 lla/jpw. My boolits are cast from ww & are a 10 brinnell hardness using the lee lead hardness test tool. I tumble lubed the boolits and let them air dry under a fan for a couple hours. I then sized the boolits to .356 with lee's sizer and re-lubed the boolits to where you can see that I have a heavier application of the lube down in the bands of the boolit, kind of looks like I ran them thru a traditional sizer/lube press. If there's not enough lube down in the bands I simply add a little more lube and tumble 'em again. I then pour the lubed boolits onto wax paper, set them up on the base end and let them dry overnight under a fan. I have fired these boolits thru a glock 19 w/drop in storm lake barrel with excellent results -- used only a few strokes with a bronze brush w/solvent thru barrel and it was clean. I have chronographed this load and it is running an average velocity of 1020 fps and very accurate. Only problem is the boolits are a little tacky to touch but as long as it is working I'm afraid to mess with it any more. Hope this helps.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." President Reagan

Boolit Master
    I have a can of Butcher's Boston Polish. The label says there is carnuba in it. I also have simoniz car wax and Minwax finishing wax. There are no ingredients on these 2 cans. Does anyone know if they have carnuba in them?

Thanks
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Quote Originally Posted by hiram View Post
    I have a can of Butcher's Boston Polish. The label says there is carnuba in it. I also have simoniz car wax and Minwax finishing wax. There are no ingredients on these 2 cans. Does anyone know if they have carnuba in them?

Thanks
    Try finding the respective manufacturer's web-sites and see if they post the Material Safety Data Sheets for their products. Many do. If they are posted, they probably won't provide exact measurements. For example, the MSDS for Johnsons Paste Wax lists general percentage ranges for Stoddard's solvent (AKA Mineral spirits or Paint Thinner) of 75-85%, Paraffin of 10-30% , and Carnauba of 5-10%.
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Boolit Master
    I tried the mix, but I used Butchers Wax. It has carnuba---says so on the label.

It is soft. I don't know if Johnsons is soft or hard. The mix can be softened in a microwave or hot water, but soesn't seem to get very thin. I don't know what happened.

Any ideas---throw the Butchers Wax out and try some Johnsons in the same mix??? or what???
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Bub
    I know this is an older post but its a really helpful thread. Thanks for this, I really appreciate the photos and tips. I've been using the LLA for a little while and was never quite satisfied with results. I'm going to make some up today and try it on some TL 38 wadcutters.

Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast