RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    badgeredd, I looked at the link you provided. One of the waxes is "Briwax". The link says it contains toluene as the solvent. One of the ingredients of TNT? Maybe we can learn to make explosive lube for extra omph!
    Just thinking about an alternative...but that would be something to consider. Maybe it'd be like a second stage of a rocket?

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Buddy
    I was aquainted with a guy in my first unit who would pour edge dressing used on boots and shoes onto a towel. He would then fold the towel over and cover his mouth and nose with it so he could inhale the toluene vapor. It didn't kill him while I was there but he wasn't worth much. I imagine he was eventually chaptered out.

Paul

Boolit Master

badgeredd, I looked at the link you provided. One of the waxes is "Briwax". The link says it contains toluene as the solvent. One of the ingredients of TNT? Maybe we can learn to make explosive lube for extra omph!
    SciFi --

Don't know if it's one of the ingredients of TNT but I do know back in the, well a long time ago, toluene was one of the things we used to mix in race gas for the car. NOT allowed but in the..........a long time ago the right words were "cheat to beat" and it really made a bang if you had the timing too far advanced......

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

My Lowes has 20 can of the JPW this morning when I went by $4.99 a can. Going over to my casting buddies house tonight to mix us up a batch. Anyone know what the solid to liquid ratio on the JPW is once it's cooked down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    SciFi --

Don't know if it's one of the ingredients of TNT but I do know back in the, well a long time ago, toluene was one of the things we used to mix in race gas for the car. NOT allowed but in the..........a long time ago the right words were "cheat to beat" and it really made a bang if you had the timing too far advanced......

Art
    I still use Toluene in cars and motorcycles. You can get it at a paint shop. But be aware they will ask you what you are going to use it for lol. As it is also used for non controlled substances.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Buddy
    TNT is short for trinitrotoluene.

Paul

Boolit Bub
    Hey Recluse, I mixed a batch of the JPW, LALOX ans MS last night. I noticed that the lube dries very fast if being applied to a cold surface. I dropped a couple drops on my work bench and it solidified in about 10 seconds or so. Ambient temp was aound 60 degrees F. Is this normal? Should i warm up the mix with the heat gun and also warm up the boolits before lubing? The stuff definitley dries to a nice hard wax substance. Hope I got the mixture correct.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by TORCHrider View Post
    Hey Recluse, I mixed a batch of the JPW, LALOX ans MS last night. I noticed that the lube dries very fast if being applied to a cold surface. I dropped a couple drops on my work bench and it solidified in about 10 seconds or so. Ambient temp was aound 60 degrees F. Is this normal? Should i warm up the mix with the heat gun and also warm up the boolits before lubing? The stuff definitley dries to a nice hard wax substance. Hope I got the mixture correct.
    On a cold surface, I've found that it will firm up pretty quick. However, when I apply it warm to metal surfaces (lead/alloy), it takes only a bit longer to firm up. When I pre-heat the boolits AND the lube mix and apply, it takes a bit longer to firm up--but I think I get better coverage and adhesion that way.

One thing I really, really like about this mix is that I can lube, set under the ceiling fan, come back in fifteen to thirty minutes (depending on temperature and humidity) and size or load the boolits. No waiting all day and then all night and all next morning for the straight LLA to dry enough to handle.

Boolit Man

Another great thread, thanks Recluse for a great recipe and an even better illustration of your technique. Will be giving this one a try for sure. I have a lot of memories of melting JPW, but never for lubing a bullet, waxed a lot of barraks floors with a little melted wax. Thanks for the trip back in time. Enjoyed reading these post. John

Boolit Master
    The link says it contains toluene as the solvent. One of the ingredients of TNT?:
    Toluene is just a solvent. IIRC benzene got some attention as a 'bad' chemical, so toluene became popular despite only deferring by a methyl group. You should be able to find it at ACE or someplace.

Toluene

Benzene is the same, minus that "CH3". Often the inside is drawn with a circle to show how the elections are "shared" around the carbon ring and not distinct, alternating single and double bonds.

TNT - trinitrotoluene. The CH3 of the toluene part is represented by just a line.

I made dinitrodoluene once. trinitro is a whole another animal which I don't intend on trying, or at least not until I get a proper homelab setup. I do intend on looking into "reloading" primers with a potassium chlorate base though (WW1-era primer)

Everything you didn't want to know....

Boolit Mold
    Most interesting thread. Now I need to know if this mixture gets you better groups than the regular sizers (RCBS and Lyman) using their brand of lubes.

Recluse thanks for the great info, are you looking for a suitable replacement for JPW? Looks like we will not be able to get any, Have any Ideas? thanks for the tips
    The best way to cheer oneself is to cheer another....Mark Twain.......
    "IF YOU CAN'T GO SHOOTIN GO FISHIN"...
    >)))))}•> .....>)))•>

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by cptkeybrd View Post
    Recluse thanks for the great info, are you looking for a suitable replacement for JPW? Looks like we will not be able to get any, Have any Ideas? thanks for the tips
    Yep, I am. But in the meantime, I'm picking up cans of JPW whenever I happen to run across them at my various home-improvement stores. I use the stuff on my hardwood benches and a few other things as well.

Will keep you posted.

Recluse and all you Lubers
    I called Johnsons mail order number 1-800-848-2588 they said they are not discontinuing JPW
    I ordered 2 cans for 18 bucks delivered by fedex so no worries mates.
    thanks again Recluse for your work on making the Alox treatment much better and nicer to deal with. Happy lubing and shoot em up
    Capt

website is http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/
    Last edited by cptkeybrd; 03-12-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Boolit Master

cptkeybrd, I don't know where you are in Califorina. I have been to three Lowes stores in the San Joaquin valley. All of them had JPW at $4.99 a can with at least 3 on the shelf (the store in Clovis had 8 cans).

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Roger that SciFi
    I just didn't have the time to go scouting and it was more convenient to do it online. I also did it so people that can't find it would have a source. It was 6 bucks a can and 6 bucks shipping, it was worth to me cause in a 5min call it was on its way. The lady said that Lowes and Ace hardware should have it.
    shoot em up ;>]

capt

I have my 4oz of LLA and a 16oz of Johnson floor wax.

As I understand the directions, I want to use 4ox of the cooked JFW which will make 8 oz of product and add 10% or about 1oz of mineral spirits.

Is this correct?
    XD 40

My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a ***** house or a politician.. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" Harry Truman

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyrone View Post
    I have my 4oz of LLA and a 16oz of Johnson floor wax.

As I understand the directions, I want to use 4ox of the cooked JFW which will make 8 oz of product and add 10% or about 1oz of mineral spirits.

Is this correct?
    Yep, that's about how I mix it up.

Boolit Grand Master

I used to buy JPW by the drum. We used it as a mold release in plastic ind. It was never available during the Winter in drum sizes because of the likelihood of freezing in transit. April always found it back for shipping. The last we received was made in Mexico (05-07) This gave us another month of availability Spring and Fall.

I built a small electric furnace to melt it for brush application. We never cooked the solvent out, just melted it.
    Why cook the Mineral Spirits out of it and then add more back for boolit lube? I know I'm missing something.

Boolit Master

It was never available during the Winter in drum sizes because of the likelihood of freezing in transit.
    What effect would freezing have on it?

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast