Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners
Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free

Boolit Mold
    I feel my point was missed. No change in the bullet just powder fixed my problems.
    It is clear to me powder selection can make all the difference in a load recipe that works and one that is ****. Yet in almost 800 post vary little reference to what powder was being used in the recipes that worked great and failed miserably with lazy lube. It would be more helpful to knew casters and old looking for easier quicker ways if we knew what powders were pushing the bullets that caster had great results. After awhile powder characteristics will start lean one way or the other giving us a head start developing a load.
    Fox Pass(red neck faux pas)

^^^^^+1 What he said!

Boolit Mold
    For what its worth, my bullets come from range run lead, lee tl 158 rn 6 cav mold, are as cast, one coating of 45/45/10 from white label, if dropped from elbow high will get a flat spot when they hit the floor. 4.2 grains Trail Boss, about 750 fps, 118 power factor or so. Great practice or local steel load. More Trail Boss will fit in case just have not got there yet.
    There you have it Boolit,Lube,Load,Expirience. (BLLE). To follow my own advise.
    Fox Pass

Boolit Bub
    I've read a fair amount of this thread but not all of it but does this concoction work well on rifle bullets? I'm thinking .45-70 at low to mid velocity and 30 cal at .30-30 velocity. I'm still kinda new to cast boolits but was just curious I guess. Thanks in advance

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    I've read a fair amount of this thread but not all of it but does this concoction work well on rifle bullets? I'm thinking .45-70 at low to mid velocity and 30 cal at .30-30 velocity. I'm still kinda new to cast boolits but was just curious I guess. Thanks in advance
    Absolutely. I use the 45-45-10 on my Accurate 46-300DG cast bullets (gas checked). This is my 50 yard target from my 45/70 H&R Handi (scoped), behind 15gr Trailboss (aiming at the small black center dot:

That's some good grooping right there!

I tried it. Had some issues getting it to cook down, then it got worse. Shot what I had made up with that stuff and it was a disaster, but likely operator error...

And I might have driven them a bit hot in th e .45 long colt in a NMBH... leaded like crazy... but again, it didn't come out like it was supposed to and made a congealed mess on bullets!

Boolit Master
    If you don't want to make 45/45/10, contact White Labs for their already made up lube.

So you use LLA to make a boolit lube....why exactly? I have Allox and like it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by duckey View Post
    So you use LLA to make a boolit lube....why exactly? I have Allox and like it so far.
    I have always tumble lubed. I began with Lee's (LLA). I used it for years straight. It does a good job. I have shot many very nice groups with my 7mm-08 with bullets lubed with straight LLA.

But, it comes thick, and over time it becomes thicker. So much so that it will leave a very heavy, slow to dry, tacky coating. Initially I solved this, as others have done, by using a solvent. For me that was "paint thinner" i.e. mineral spirits. It thinned out the thickened LLA. But it added nothing to the whole.

Subsequently, I read the results of Ben's experiments with Johnsons liquid floor wax. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCJohnsonOneStepNoBuffWax_L.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	127483
    It both thins LLA and adds a quick drying wax that adds to the benefits of the original LLA. And it dries (at least to my unscientific observations) faster than either straight LLA or LLA thinned with "paint thinner."

Why? In my estimation, it yields a better product.
    Last edited by michiganmike; 02-21-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Just found 4 cans of Johnson's wax at Lowes today. Alox on the way.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Absolutely. I use the 45-45-10 on my Accurate 46-300DG cast bullets (gas checked). This is my 50 yard target from my 45/70 H&R Handi (scoped), behind 15gr Trailboss (aiming at the small black center dot:
    Awesome I plan on working up some loads for my sharps. And it'll be worth a try either way xD

Boolit Buddy
    Might this recipe be made to work with Alox 350 and enough mineral spirits to get the right viscosity? I have a couple of lbs of alox 350 for the NRA 50/50 recipe.

Thanks.
    ..still remember that no man loses any other life than this which he now lives, nor lives any other than this which he now loses. / Marcus Aurelius.

Reloading 357mag, 38Sp, 9mm, 380acp

Boolit Master
    If Alox 350 is the grease used for the 50/50 formulation, its viscosity is already too low. You could hand-lube bullets with it, maybe. You could try to duplicate White Labs' BAC lube, if you must size your bullets and use a Lubri-Sizer.
    The Alox used in LLA and Xlox is the rust-proofing undercoat made from a mixture of oxidized calcium soaps. It creates a coating that is very tenacious (sort of the first-generation coated bullet).

Boolit Buddy
    Well I had read the same thing but then I came across this blurb which confused me ( italics are mine)

Liquid Lube/ X-Lox 350

Liquid Xlox Lube:

We have 55 gallons on hand and are ready to ship. We order the Liquid Xlox concentrated in 55 gal drums directly from the manufacture.
    We thin it to approximately the same consistency as Lee's Liquid Alox(r) and repackage into 8 and 32 oz bottles
    This is very similar to the Lube that comes in a 4 oz bottle from Lee(r) Precision. We try to keep the consistency the same but it may vary slightly in thickness.
    We also cary x-lox 350 - The Good Stuff we use in our stick lubes

http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...=index&cPath=2
    ..still remember that no man loses any other life than this which he now lives, nor lives any other than this which he now loses. / Marcus Aurelius.

Banner Sponsor

That does look a little confusing, I will see about changing the wording, or maybe just put a comma , in between the two.

Alox 350 has the consisntency of a light grease. It will not dry and should not be used as a tumble lube. All you would be left with is greasy bullets.
    Alox 350 can be mixed with Beeswax or other waxes to get a stick or pan lube.

"X-lox 350 Qt
    The same Alox(r) 350 we use in our stick lubes " http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...products_id=20

I hope this clears things up a little.

Boolit Buddy
    Lar45, Thank you. That does help. What should I order from your site to tumble lube my bullets, and possibly even use in the 45/45/10 recipe given by the OP?

Banner Sponsor

http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...=index&cPath=2
    We have Liquid Xlox in a 32oz or 8oz bottle that can be used straight, or be mixed to make 45-45-10 with Johnson's Paste Wax and Mineral Spirits.
    We also have 45-45-10 pre-mixed in a 32oz bottle.
    We are more than happy to help, Just let us know what you want.

Glenn.

Boolit Master
    Order 45/45/10 from Lars and save yourself a lot of hassle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    Order 45/45/10 from Lars and save yourself a lot of hassle.
    +1

Exactly what I did. Works great!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Alox 350 has the consisntency of a light grease. It will not dry and should not be used as a tumble lube. All you would be left with is greasy bullets.
    Alox 350 can be mixed with Beeswax or other waxes to get a stick or pan lube.
    Back when Alox 2138F was discontinued, Alox 350 plus microwax was the recommended replacement. I have some instructions that I got from Molly(Ken Mollohan). Apparently lar45 has determined that Alox 350 alone is suitable to mix w/beeswax to get NRA 50/50. I will continue to use the microwax in my recipe since I am familiar with it.

Also glad to see him explain that Alox 350 is NOT suitable for tumble lube. I've made an approximation of 45/45/10 but used Alox 606-55, which is the base for LLA, only not as much solvent. I say "approximation" since I'm sure that I didn't get the amount of solvent right. It seems to work OK.
    John
    W.TN

Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast