Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free

lol, that vid was annoying!!!
    and, uh... and, uh... and, uh...

i have 3k 9mm lubed and loaded
    and 2k .45 lubed and loaded for a trip i am taking next week
    going to michigan to my fav outdoor range and will report my findings

sure am glad to have found this thread, thanks again recluse
    FEAR YOUR GOVERNMENT

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Just a question: When you use this lube or any other tumble lube for that matter, is it a good idea to clean off the lube on the boolit bases before loading, if they will be stored for a few months before shooting? Would it affect the powder charge ( especially light handgun charges)?
    How about when used in hot weather?
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    my 45/45/10 seems to have stratified now after a few days... is it a simple matter to warm it back up and it will mix back together when i am ready to use it?

Recluse is da man, fo sho

Boolit Master
    Quart of Delux Liquid Xlox arieved today (from White LabelLubes) applied first coat and sized a couple hundred and used as second coat a few hundred I had already lube with straight Xlox and sized.

First mpressions is that Delux Xlox is very thin but will give it a fair trial before junping to conclusions.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

i would see no need to clean the bases. it dries and is pretty solid. i cant imagine it would cause any problems unless it was super thick.
    not sure about the hot weather and stickiness but am doubting that aswell. due to the fact that the wax in the JPW solidify's the alox quite a bit.
    FEAR YOUR GOVERNMENT

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine

Boolit Grand Master

The only tumble lubing I've done is with Lee liqid alox and I don't worry about cleaning it off the bases, has never caused a problem.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    The only tumble lubing I've done is with Lee liqid alox and I don't worry about cleaning it off the bases, has never caused a problem.
    I was hoping that would be the case... I have this lube on a few different caliber SD rounds & since they just sit in the guns hoping they never have to be used ...if they did I want them to go bang!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Just ordered my Delux Liquid Xlox from White Label Lubes hope this is the ticket the standard Alox is somewhat of a pain to get right.....

In Remembrance
    I recently tried Glenn's 45/45/10 (he generously sent me a bottle of it upon perfecting the formula) and it is the cat's meow. He said he is having phenomenal success with it even in his larger, faster moving calibers--in particular his 30-06, with excellent groupings and zero leading and one shiny clean bore afterward.

Boolit Mold
    HI everyone. New here but not new to casting. I'm gonna try my hand at tumble lubing. Has anyone came up with an accurate measurement of the 45/45/10 mix for lets say 100 bullets? I want to keep things as consistent as possible and want to be able to use the exact amount of lube for every batch both before and after sizing. I'm guessing this measurement would be fairly small (ie: teaspoon full +/-) Thanks in advance

Dan

Boolit Master
    Hi Dan and welcome. It's really a guessing science and you will come up with the correct amount. A teaspoon would be way too much at least for the lube I have on hand, I would suggest starting out with several drops and expand from there. I doubt if very many batches of 45-45-10 are exactly the same and of course 100 of what type of boolit is also a question 100 .45-70's and 100 .22 cal.'s would require different amounts.

Bout best I can do, let us know how it works out and ask more questions if needed.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Mold
    I figured this was one of those things I would "figure out". I plan to tumble lube a set number of my 230 gr 45 cal TL boolits at one time and get things consistent. I'm just guessing as of now how many but I thougth 100 at a time in a bowl shouldn't be bad.

Dan

Boolit Master
    That will be fine, pick your comfort level. It's the only lube I use anymore.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Buddy

My batch is still a bit tacky and is still darkening the bullet a bit.
    Will adding mineral spirits help with this? Is it possible not thoroughly cooking the JPW before mixing could have caused this?

Quote Originally Posted by newcastter View Post
    I made my first batch last week and have not had a chance to use it yet, I just cast a few hundred 9mm that I need to lube, now when I shook the bottle of lube it wasnt liquidy so I opened it and it was kind of pasty, Now I followed the amounts to the T (I Believe) is this how it is supposed to be?
    Is this the reason for heating it up a little? It seemed fine even up until I put it in the cabinet and I didn't notice the thickness until a week later.

Boolit Master
    I have found with 100 boolits in the container ...less is more! Run um dump um dry um. If you can see a slight color in the lube groves you are good to go....any more they look over all mottled & feel sticky or oily ( depending on if you did the mix right) Just keep telling yourself you don't need a lot! For those measuring I think it is something like half a teaspoon to 100 boolits.... make sure you heat the boolits up real warm with a hair dryer first.... then I drop in the lube & swirl & tumble for about 45 sec to 1 minute ( or when ever my wife yells "what the heck is that noise") that usually is the signal that they are done! Dump them on wax paper and go to bed! In the morning you can load!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the tip. I bought my mix from lsstuff.com so the mixture shouldn't be a problem. I will try it very sparingly when it arrives.

Dan

Boolit Master
    Delux Xlox 45-45-10 from White Label Lubes. Three lbs. (approx.160 125gr. 9MM) I use 1/2 teaspooon for each coating. First coating I use a heat gun to warm the boolits in a metal can ,apply lube let dry ,size then apply second coat without heating.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Master
    i luv the smell of homemade 45/45/10 in the morning

Boolit Mold
    I did some playin around this evening. I'm still waiting on my Delux from white label lube so I though I would use up some of my LLA that came with my sizing die for the pre size lube then follow up with the Delux when I get it for the second lube. I put 100 of my 230 gr 45cal TL boolits in a butter dish and warmed em up with a hair dryer. I already had the LLA super warm from a coffie cup of hot water thanks to the microwave I used a 1.9 cc lee powder dipper (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/943...er-measure-kit) for the first 100 boolits and could barley get full coverage so I used a 2.2 cc dipper for the second batch of lead projectiles and that seemed perfect. Full coverage but only after swishing and tumblin for a minute or two. This method is plenty fast enough for all the more I plan to use up componets Now if my cookie sheet of sweet goodies was just chocolate chip cause i'm hungry

Boolit Master
    seriously, i luv the smell of this stuff on the boolits... my wife asked me last night why i kept smelling my fingers, is said "never mind, you dont want to know"

Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast