RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersPBcastcoRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free

Boolit Bub

Lla/jpw/ms

Nice thread, I just made my first batch today and might have messed it up as the final product is real thin. How long does it normally take to thicken up?

Boolit Master

BC, Thin is what you want. It will thicken some when it gets cold. I had read that some compared it to looking like brown cold cream. Where I live it gets very hot in the summer and doesn't get that cool at night. My mix never got thicker than "thin & runny" until I went out the other day when the temp was in the 40s. It was so thick it would not even run out of the bottle. Setting the bottle in hot tap water for a few minutes thinned it right up for use.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks SciFiJim.

Boolit Mold
    I've been a lurker on the board for a long time, and I still have a lot of reading to do before I've absorbed all of the information here...

I tried to mix up a batch of this lube tonight, and the results were...

I didn't have a large pot to use, so I used a shallow cake pan on my Coleman stove in the garage. I remember somebody saying that Johnson's Paste Wax was flammable, but I don't recall anyone saying that it is like surface of the sun, 10 megaton nuclear blast, weapon of mass destruction explosive...

Obviously it caught on fire. I have a small garage (barely big enough for my wife's Civic, which luckily wasn't there at the time. I didn't have anything close to hand to smother the flames with, so I ran back into the house to grab something. By the time I got back, the smoke was so thick that I could barely see. I grabbed my respirator, stumbled back over to the stove, and finally got the fire out.

For the time being, I think I will stick to the lee mule snot thinned down with mineral spirits...

Boolit Master

KCG - Try mixing the JPW and A/Xlox without cooking down the JPW and without the mineral spirits. If you don't cook them out, there are enough solvents in JPW to do the job of the mineral spirits. Then heating the bottle in hot water will give you a thin and runny mix to coat with.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    I didn't have a large pot to use, so I used a shallow cake pan

on my Coleman stove in the small garage (barely big enough for my wife's Civic

I didn't have anything close to hand to smother the flames with

For the time being, I think I will stick to the lee mule snot thinned down with mineral spirits...

*Sigh*

Last edited by Recluse; 12-23-2009 at 03:09 AM.

Boolit Master

try not to "dry" your powder on a coleman stove. OK ??

Boolit Mold
    Thanks SciFi, I'll try that for the time being until I accumulate some more suitable equipment.

For the other "helpful" comments, I apologize for being the first individual to ever fail to think something through completely. If those sort of responses are SOP around here, I think I'll find another place to hang out.

Boolit Master
    KCG,
    Glad you're okay. I would have probably tried the same method you did, had I not already known about a double boiler (pot of water on the direct heat and the substance that I want to melt in a suitable container in the boiling water)!
    Sometimes, when we are trying to do this stuff on our own, we get caught up in just getting it done, and unfortunately don't have all the info that we should have - on the other hand, if we waited until everything was perfect, we would never try anything new. I have certainly done some dumb stuff, so I'll not cast the first stone!!
    Stick around, there are some great people here!!

Take care!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    Thanks SciFi, I'll try that for the time being until I accumulate some more suitable equipment.

For the other "helpful" comments, I apologize for being the first individual to ever fail to think something through completely. If those sort of responses are SOP around here, I think I'll find another place to hang out.
    Hey man the guys around here are just jerkin your chain, please don't go we all need to stick together. If you don't want to be alone, I'll post some of the stupid stuff I"ve done and it will make you look tame in comparision, trust me............<GRIN>

...........do me one favor though, trash the coleman stove and go to Walgreens and buy a one burner hotplate for $9.99 eh??? I got one the other day with a three dollar off coupon for heating my molds. Personally I don't like Alox mostly because of the mess, but then again I use Marvelux to flux with and everytime I mention that I get barbeque'd..............

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Some do not think about what they say and are in the state of mind of jokeing with members because they dont mind being pick at for stuff they have done. Remember whats not funny at the moment is sometimes funny to you later after the you have clammed down and looked back at it. I myself have dont alot of thinks that to me were not funny at all and someone said something at that time would have made me fighting mad but after awhile it was funny to me also. And others here are just #$%#** and will always be a #$%** you have to look over some laugh at others and remember when its all said and done we all learn something if we keep a open mind. Thats about all I got in my bank of wisdom. Hope you hang around. A few suggestions that may help you on other projects dont ask how I know. You can remove wax lube from carpet with a old towel and iron, Lead dont come out of carpet without leaveing a burned spot, and if a project is not working right throwing in the yard and shooting it with several times will keep people that see you do wonding if you staple.
    Last edited by gon2shoot; 12-24-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: it was ricky
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    KCG - Try mixing the JPW and A/Xlox without cooking down the JPW and without the mineral spirits. If you don't cook them out, there are enough solvents in JPW to do the job of the mineral spirits. Then heating the bottle in hot water will give you a thin and runny mix to coat with.
    Sci-Fi, should the the mineral spirits should still be added after the Alox and JPW are mixed this way?

One other question - everything is measured by volume?

In Remembrance

Two thoughts

If anyone looks at the bottom of the forum when you log in, you'll see how many people are logged in and reading. Almost always, over 60% are "guests" which means they may not be forum members. It also means they do more reading than contributing, which is more than fine.

With that said, this business of casting boolits is not a sewing club and its not a hobby or undertaking that should be taken lightly--especially so far as SAFETY is concerned.

To KCG,

I'm going to give you some tough love, but only because there will be other folks new to casting and lubing and the such reading and we do not want them to make your same mistakes.

You stated early on that you know JPW was flammable. Yet, you still cooked it over AN OPEN FLAME and in a completely INAPPROPRIATE container. You did this in a small, confined area and had NO FIRE EXTINGUISHER or any other retadents or material to put out a fire.

This was beyond dumb. This was DANGEROUS. This is like doing your smelting in the rain with hailstones coming down and then being surprised that the Tinsel Fairy showed up!

We have enough real and potential dangers in this hobby without adding to the list. They key to safe casting is to know the risks involved, and then minimize and/or eliminate them. I am glad you are okay and that your garage is okay. Also glad your wife wasn't at home at the time. Wives can tend to be far rougher on us than any of us here can be.

OK, with that said and put to rest. . .

The suggestion about a ten dollar hotplate was right on. You can find cheap pots at the Dollar Store or yard sales or even Wal-Mart. Us boolit casters are notoriously frugal and enterprizing.

I've found it easier to cook my JPW, then measure it by ounces to know how much LLA to add. Again, pick up some cheap funnels at the Dollar Store to pour your concoctions with.

Boolit Master

ghh3rd - I will explain what works for me. Many find cooking the solvents out of JPW first works for them. I haven't found the need to.

MY method.
    I use an old 11oz. dish-washing liquid bottle. Using eyeball measurements, I fill it about 1/3 full of Xlox and then fill it about another 1/3 full with JPW. I use a funnel for ease of getting it in the bottle. The Xlox poured fairly easily. The JPW had to be poked through the funnel with an unsharpened pencil. Cap tightly and shake vigorously to mix. I didn't add any additional mineral spirits.

During the summer it stayed a thin and runny liquid. Now that it is winter (50degree days) it is a soft creamy substance. I set in hot tap water for a few minutes to return it to thin and runny.
    The picture of the bottle on its side shows that it will not run when cold (I just brought it in from the shed to take a picture).

Boolit Mold
    Merry Christmas!

I got a question. I am using you 45/45/10 mix of Johnson Paste Wax, Liquid Alox and mineral spirits and I am experiencing some leading. Enough that after 6 shots it will be noticeable looking down the bore. I cleaned the barrel and then used a Lewis Lead Remover and got lead on the bronze screen. Quiet a bit.

The load is for a .44 magnum. It is cast from wheel weights and tests around 12 BNH. It is loaded with the 240 grain Lee tumble lube bullet. I am pushing it with 8.5 gr. of Unique. The load clocked 1020 feet for an average on my chronograph. I tried this in a Ruger .44 that is new and a S&W Model 29 that has over 8000 rounds through it.

Should I slow it down or speed it up? I am new at casting and need advice.

Thank you,

Greg

Boolit Master

The first thing is, have you slugged your barrel yet? If so, what is the groove diameter, and what do the boolits measure at. An undersized boolit will lead not matter what lube you use.

Boolit Mold
    I just started reloading this year. I used Lee alox on TL230grn 45@ .452" I lubed the in a small tube with lid, sized them, lubed again, and put them in another tub with a sprinkle of powdered graphite.

I had did some research on the web and found somewhere the biggest difference between dry moly and graphite is graphite conducts electricity. How true it is I don't know, but I tried it. It seems to work. I have no lead issues and have shot around 50 rounds of them. You'll get black fingers loading them though.

Note:
    Shot in a Ruger KP345
    The data I used was not factory data!
    I also had a expirenced reloading partner!

I have no velocities but have shot them with the folllowing loads
    5.4 grains Rex3 about same recoil as a factory load.
    5.7 grains Rex3 Little hot, but know signs of excessive pressure.

These loads came from a internet source.
    The 5.4 shoots good for me.

I made up my first batch today! I used the kettle to boil water and cut the top off some pop can's to melt in.
    Poured the hot water into a pot, put the JPW into the pop can set it in the pot.
    Put the LEE lube into another pop can and did the same thing then went to watch T.V.
    Next commercial went to check and it was all liguified.
    I used one of those small plastic disposable medical cup's to measure it all out and poured it all, one ingrediant at a time into an empty dish soap bottle.
    Worked like a charm and I'm the proud owner of a bottle of rusty looking oily stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Excellent article.
    Curious if lubing bullets this way will hold up to faster velocities, say 1700 to 1800 fps.
    I lube water-dropped WW Lee non-TL gas checked boolits with this method for my 308 and my 338 and load them to velocities of 2200 - 2400 with no leading problem.
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman

If you wish to cook the solvents out of the JPW how long does that take on a hot plate at 350F may I ask?
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast