Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free

Boolit Buddy

I have just finished the first 380 posts in this thread. Fantastic. Let me say that I have been reading alot and learning alot but IMHO this may very well be the best thread I have read on this whole site.

Thanks for the information and time Recluse.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Buddy

Jpw????

Teach me what is JPW????thoughtI knew most of the acronyms!!!afish4570

Boolit Grand Master

JPW=Johnsons Paste Wax
    It's an old wax originally meant for wood floors and furniture. Goes on easy and dries shiny and hard.

Boolit Buddy
    My anal side took a look at the MSDS sheet for JPW. Only about 30% wax and the rest is solvent. I expected the wax to cook down to a third of its original self. But stopped after the suggested 20 minutes. Do you cook until there is no vapors coming off the pot? I used a hot plate from a big box store. $13 new. I bet it was made in the USA too. So temperature control was not like that of a griddle. Warm, medium and high and all points in between. So I set it where the vapors were just coming off the JPW.

Hoping my Ranch Dog 265's will shoot well in my Ruger 77/44 mag @ 1,700 fps.
    Last edited by joecool911; 07-30-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    I followed the directions and my first batch came out great.

I had put the bullets and lube out in the hot summer sun to soak up some rays first. The bullets were almost too hot to hold. I had an even, dry to the touch coating after I brought them in and let them set two hours.

Thanks for this thread. Next up, Mirror Lube!

Not being able to purchase JPW, I tried using parrafin and carnauba 2:1 as a JPW alternative then mixed45-45-10 but ended up with a waxy lube that would melt with heat but when applied to the bullets solidified to a hard wax, thick coating. Will try thinning with more mineral spirits and see if that improve any.

PS Would anyone like to send me a couple of cans of JPW? Paypal is best for me if you can.

Thanks
    Ian
    Billy Blacksmith
    SASS #84869
    New Zealand

Boolit Grand Master

Nah, you need some of those pesky solvents to make it viscous. I dont worry about it because they all evaporate off any way when they are on the boolits. The thicker it is the longer it takes to dry. I suggest you start by following the original instructions to the tee and see what you get. I did, and I was lubing boolits at the bench with a wool dauber, and loading them 15 minutes later! (thats in 105 degree temperatures)
    By the way, I have pushed lyman 358318 boolits, lubed before and after sizing with 45/45/10, to 2000fps with no leading. That made a believer out of me!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    What is JPW ingredients?
    I cannot find it here in Australia,I have paraffin wax,I have beeswax,I have stearin which is used to stiffen up paraffin,I can get Carnauba Wax from this bloke
    Gilly Stephonsons
    He has these
    http://www.gillystephenson.com/showP...ticks+Pkt+of+2

And this
    http://www.gillystephenson.com/showP...r+Polish+200gm

http://www.gillystephenson.com/showP...a+Polish+100gm

I can also get this
    http://www.gillystephenson.com/showP...+Flakes+100gms

Any help would be appreciated
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

I live in Canada, and for me to get it I have to ask an American friend to mail it to me...HINT HINT TO YA'LL!!

Boolit Buddy
    MSDS from 2004:

Isoparaffinic hydrocarbon solvent CAS 64742-88-7 ....... 75-85 % by weight
    Paraffin wax CAS 8002-74-2 ........................................... 10-30 % by weight
    Carnauba wax CAS 8015-86-9 ....................................... 5-10 % by weight

I don't tumble lube, otherwise I would have experimented with melting pure paraffin and carnauba wax into the LLA instead of buying JPW and cooking off the solvents (Besides, we don't have JPW here where I live). And adjusting the viscosity with mineral spirits if necessary.

I mixed up Recluses mix yesterday and all went pretty well. I got the last two cans of JPW in town. I screwed up the first batch by not simmering it long enough. That one is real loose. Can I thicken it? One question about the coating when you load. When bullet seating, Do you have to clean up any wax that comes off in the seater after you're done?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Nah, you need some of those pesky solvents to make it viscous. I dont worry about it because they all evaporate off any way when they are on the boolits. The thicker it is the longer it takes to dry. I suggest you start by following the original instructions to the tee and see what you get. I did, and I was lubing boolits at the bench with a wool dauber, and loading them 15 minutes later! (thats in 105 degree temperatures)
    By the way, I have pushed lyman 358318 boolits, lubed before and after sizing with 45/45/10, to 2000fps with no leading. That made a believer out of me!
    If this reply ws aimed at me, you will note I said I was unable to obtain any!

Are you offering to send me some? ( My expense of cource)

No one else took the hint!!!
    Ian
    Billy Blacksmith
    SASS #84869
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by claudester View Post
    When bullet seating, Do you have to clean up any wax that comes off in the seater after you're done?
    Thanks
    This is the very reason that I dip my boolits into the lube and set them base down on some wax paper to dry. That way there is no lube on the nose to mess up my die's. But I maybe the odd person as I try and keep my Die's clean.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by joecool911 View Post
    My anal side took a look at the MSDS sheet for JPW. Only about 30% wax and the rest is solvent. I expected the wax to cook down to a third of its original self. But stopped after the suggested 20 minutes. Do you cook until there is no vapors coming off the pot? I used a hot plate from a big box store. $13 new. I bet it was made in the USA too. So temperature control was not like that of a griddle. Warm, medium and high and all points in between. So I set it where the vapors were just coming off the JPW.

Hoping my Ranch Dog 265's will shoot well in my Ruger 77/44 mag @ 1,700 fps.
    I cooked it for 20 minutes and evidently cooked off all the solvents 'cause mine set up like a brick and I had to throw it out and start over. I pm'd Recluse and he enlightened me and I got the second batch right. My *** hot plate boiled it too much. The variable switch doesn't work right. It is either off or wide open. Just cook it slowly without boiling. Sounds like you have it.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    This is the very reason that I dip my boolits into the lube and set them base down on some wax paper to dry. That way there is no lube on the nose to mess up my die's. But I maybe the odd person as I try and keep my Die's clean.
    When you dip, doesn't the buildup on the boolit bands get pushed forward by the case when you seat it, causing an ooze of lube at the crimped area? At least that is what happened to me and I had to keep a mineral spirits wettened rag to wipe the nose and crimp area and had to clean the dies to keep the buildup on the seating stem from seating the boolit too deep.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbob View Post
    When you dip, doesn't the buildup on the boolit bands get pushed forward by the case when you seat it, causing an ooze of lube at the crimped area? At least that is what happened to me and I had to keep a mineral spirits wettened rag to wipe the nose and crimp area and had to clean the dies to keep the buildup on the seating stem from seating the boolit too deep.
    What I do is dip it one time then I put them on some wax paper and wipe off the base so I do not have the ring around the bottom of the alox. Then through my Lee Sizer then I dip them again and again wipe off the base on the wax paper just pretty much twist them and slide them over a couple of inches against the base of the boolit. Then I let them dry before loading. So I never have any Alox on the nose. I also bell the brass for easy insertion of the boolit. But I also keep some mineral spirits on a rag just in case for clean up.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Mold
    Great recipe and works like a charm

Boolit Mold
    Hello Flintlockrecord...you may find MINWAX brand polishing wax or TREWAX brand wax down there...these are Johnson's paste wax direct competitors and from what I understand are pretty much the same thing. I am thinking about buying a small can of MINWAX to polish some old furniture and mixing what is left with LEE alox to see how it works IMHO any past wax should do pretty much the same thing as Johnson's. Bisley

Boolit Master
    This is one very LONG thread.
    MinWax at my local Home Depot is just over twice as expensive as JPW.
    For those in Canada, can't you order over the 'net?
    Personally, I plan to try to make a batch with a cheap blender from a thrift store if I ever find one. Two of the best mixers are blenders and paint shakers.
    If all you do is evaporate off the mineral spirts to mix the wax and LLA and then add back the same mineral spirits, the blender should do a really good job.

I have ordered it over the net, EBAY actually.