Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingPBcastco
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free

Boolit Master
    your gonna size them and lube them again why bother standing them up
    I wasn't for the first lube. But after the size and re-lube i was, to get an even drying coat.

I'm asking if this is nessassary, or not.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Grand Master
    Well Done!!

You put some time and effort into this and it paid off.
    I hope it winds up as a sticky!! Kudo's to you sir!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

i second the sticky idea.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejb View Post
    I wasn't for the first lube. But after the size and re-lube i was, to get an even drying coat.

I'm asking if this is nessassary, or not.
    I've never found it to make one iota of difference.

The reason I re-lube after sizing is threefold:

1. My first (tumble) lube is light to begin with, and

2. After sizing, the lube on the bands is often gone, so I want another coat on the bands, and

3. The first (tumble) lubing put on a light coat of lube that makes it easy for the second (tumble) lubing to adhere to. This gives me a nice, even coating of lube with no excess.

Moderator Emeritus
    Stickied.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Mold
    It is post like this I love this site. I've just started making boolit for something other than my 50 cal smoke pole. 30 years of making round balls and maxi hunters and I find I still have a hugh learning curve. Learning things like this will make my ne hobby much more fun.

ps will this work for rifle boolits for a 30-06 or a 7 mm or is something more needed haven't done any rifle boolits yet but it;s to much fun so far not to.

Boolit Mold

Boolit Lube

Just made my first batch. Looks good. Thank you for the pictures and instructions.

Boolit Buddy
    I use tl boolits but I dont size them. Do you recommend lubing once with a heavier coat or twice with smaller coats?

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by d_striker View Post
    I use tl boolits but I dont size them. Do you recommend lubing once with a heavier coat or twice with smaller coats?
    Two light coats.

Thumbs up

Excellent post.
    I did try the LLA and did not like the stickiness. I will try this though.
    Carrying heat in dry heat.
    God bless SB1070

Anyone know where to get JPW in Canada?

Johnsons paste wax is usually found at the supermarket but some harware stores carry paste wax also.Mel

Boolit Buddy
    I found and brought home my first can of JPW today and was going to do a search for a lube formula with it but then saw this sticky, perfect timing and excellent tutorial. Thanks

Boolit Mold
    Are Buchshots pushthrew sizers for a press, or a star?

Bravo, good guide for us new to LLA newbness.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    I size every single boolit I cast. Always and without fail. The Lee sizing kits are inexpensive and incredibly simple, easy and fast to use. This is another area where I can absolutely control the consistency (size of the boolit), so why not do it?

After I've sized the boolits, I dump them back in the Cool Whip tub, reheat the bottle of LLA/JPW/MS concoction and repeat the lubing process. After the boolits have dried, I either load them or store them.

Good luck and enjoy.

NOW THAT WAS WORTH THE READ! THANK YOU!

I do have a question though Recluse -- I read you use Lee sizers, never tried one but I'm going to soon, but can you size these TL bullets in Lyman/RCBS sizer with the sizer dies I've already got or are Lee sizers the only ones that should be used? I'm probably being picky, when I was taught to cast a lot of years back my first mold was a TL .44 cal 230 grain Lee and the guy who taught me said never to size a TL design bullet. I shot a lot through the .44 I HAD but these bullets I've got now (RD 265 grain TLGC) are going through a .444 Marlin with ballard rifling.

Thanks,

Art

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    I do have a question though Recluse -- I read you use Lee sizers, never tried one but I'm going to soon, but can you size these TL bullets in Lyman/RCBS sizer with the sizer dies I've already got or are Lee sizers the only ones that should be used? I'm probably being picky, when I was taught to cast a lot of years back my first mold was a TL .44 cal 230 grain Lee and the guy who taught me said never to size a TL design bullet. I shot a lot through the .44 I HAD but these bullets I've got now (RD 265 grain TLGC) are going through a .444 Marlin with ballard rifling.

Thanks,

Art
    Art,

I like the Lee push through sizers for several reasons. One, and most importantly, is that they go through nose first. The only thing I use my thirty-caliber Lyman and RCBS sizing dies for is straight lube application. I seat the gas checks and size the boolits through a push-through sizer, then lube them in the lubesizer.

Second thing I like about the push through sizers is they are fast.

Can you size tumble-lubed boolits in Lyman or RCBS dies? I don't see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootingstar View Post
    Are Buchshots pushthrew sizers for a press, or a star?
    I think Buckshot can make sizing dies for both, but the ones mentioned in this discussion are for a press.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Art,

I like the Lee push through sizers for several reasons. One, and most importantly, is that they go through nose first. The only thing I use my thirty-caliber Lyman and RCBS sizing dies for is straight lube application. I seat the gas checks and size the boolits through a push-through sizer, then lube them in the lubesizer.

Second thing I like about the push through sizers is they are fast.

Can you size tumble-lubed boolits in Lyman or RCBS dies? I don't see why not.

Thanks man..........I'm finding out the fact here as I cast several dozen after making vent lines and smoothing out the cavities this afternoon. I think between you and what I did I got my answer and its the same old one ----- the only issue I can see is the same one I always run into with my Lee bullets and Lyman/RCBS sizers, nose punches. Soooo, seeing a nose punch that isn't going to fit and I'm going to have to use JB weld or epoxy to make it fit is around 8 bucks, and a Lee sizer is about 15 bucks, and it's FREAKIN 20 degrees out in the shop where my lathe is so I can't make one, I think I'll wait till I've got an extra fifteen bucks and try one of Lee's sizers.

Lee's sizers are WAY superior to Lyman/RCBS simply because they go through NOSE first. I can't understand WHY someone hasn't come up with a Lyman/RCBS design that would eliminate the doggone PITA of nose punches and put them through nose first like they should be..............this is excepting STAR sizers of course but I don't have that kind of disposable cash right now or I'd have one..................

Thanks for the speedy response.

Art

Art, Bullshop pointed out a couple of years ago that you can remove the ejection pin and stroke stop hardware from a Lyman/ RCBS sizing die and lubrisizer and shove boolits through with a flat ended top punch, just like you would with a Star. It'd be real tricky to lube them in the process, but should work with with tumble or pan lubed. Puts a small flat on the tips of any real pointy boolits from shoving out the previous boolit, but not a big deal for most designs.
    Rick

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
    Art, Bullshop pointed out a couple of years ago that you can remove the ejection pin and stroke stop hardware from a Lyman/ RCBS sizing die and lubrisizer and shove boolits through with a flat ended top punch, just like you would with a Star. It'd be real tricky to lube them in the process, but should work with with tumble or pan lubed. Puts a small flat on the tips of any real pointy boolits from shoving out the previous boolit, but not a big deal for most designs.
    Hey Rick,

Funny you should point that out. I had to wait six weeks for Lyman to get me some parts for my 450 I broke (MY fault....) and in the meanwhile got disgusted and bought an RCBS sizer so I've got an extra on to work with now. I was just downstairs plugging in the lube heater and looking at the extra sizer I've got now so I'll play with that a bit.

Are you guys getting hammered in your part of the state? We've got winds about 30mph and whiteout conditions here.....and the plows haven't hit the backroads yet...................

Thanks,

Art

PS --- I love Dean Grennell "KYHOOYA"!!

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast