Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free

Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Been looking without success...except Amazon, where they have a 22 oz. can listed for like $122!
    I think you are looking for discontinued Johnson Liquid floor wax that comes in 22oz cans, not paste wax which comes in 16oz cans and still available.

Just read 42 pages of comments that spanned 9 years; took me about a week, I probably read half of it couple years ago when I made my lube and even though I screwed up, I got sub moa group on the first try in 300 BLK with undersized bullets! It was significantly better group than what I was getting normally with powder coated bullets. I can see same questions asked over and over again, made me wonder why there isn’t a Frequently Asked Section in the original post. Most posts can be summarized in to following questions/statements, please don’t get offended, this meant to be taken lightly with dose of humor / exaggerated.
    1) Pointless announcements: I found JPW in my local hardware store, I ordered online, I made a lube, I am heading to the range next weekend to test it, wish me luck, etc. If it doesn’t add any value/info to the post I don’t understand why people feel the need to write it. Unless you are adding information like here’s how I measured, this is how long I cooked at this temp and this is how it turned out. Please add useful info like I tested this TL in my Smith & Wesson 500, I was shooting my 50 caliber 700gr zinc bullets at 2000 fps and got no leading!!

2) I can’t find JPW anywhere! I looked all over the town and it’s not there! Oops, I was looking at car section because I though it’s the same as floor wax because it has carnauba in it! A: If you can’t find it locally in your hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware) you can order online from their website and have it ship for free to the store or your doorstep for fee, you can also order at Amazon or directly from manufacturer.

3) I can’t find JPW will the Minwax or Trewax work? A: YES!

4) Can’t I just add candle wax and carnuba with alox and dash of gasoline and it should work right? Because it’s same ingredients that are in JPW. A: Try it and let us know, I am pretty sure author didn’t try every substitute and combination under the sun when he wrote this tutorial.

5) I just attempted to make this mix over my Coleman burner in closed garage without anything to put out fire and I left it unattended next to my propane tank and smokeless powder and when I came back there was a huge fire that I barely put out with my bare hands. I melt like a snowflake when people bash their heads in unison against brick wall , I am offended. A: You should join some facebook reloading groups where people cuss like sailors and are very vicious with their remarks. This forum is haven! But to answer the question – Yes it will burst in to 3 feet flames even without open flames if it reaches about 350 degrees so don’t let it get too hot and keep flat object like a plate or lid to smoother the flames. Don’t ask me how I know, I have video footage to prove it next to 20lb propane tank.

6) Why do I need cook off solvents and then introduce mineral spirits later? A: Ok, this one is complicated but somewhere one person gave good scientific explanation in short just do it if you want it to work as intended.

7) I made a lube but it’s runny like water but after some time it thickened up consistency of peanut butter or chocolate pudding and as soon as I pour it on bullets it solidifies A: Yes, it’s normal, reheat in microwave for 15 sec or hot water and warm up your bullets either in toaster oven dedicated to your shooting needs or use heatgun/fan.

8) I used different Xlox and different wax and added turpentine instead of MS, why is my lube not drying and tacky? A: As mentioned earlier if you deviated from original recipe don’t be surprised it’s not working or expect hunters/shooters/casters who know little about chemistry to know why it’s not working. I suggest start over and follow directions or use it as is.

9) Why do I need 2 coats, can’t I just use one or 3? A: 2 coats because you don’t want to resize it dry, but what if I don’t size them or run them dry? Try one and see if you get leading or apply up to 3 coats for rifle bullets. Several thin coats better than 1 thick one.

10) How much of the lube should I use on 100 bullets? A: Recluse described how he does it and since he is not using measuring spoons you would have to experiment yourself since you didn’t even say what kind of bullets you are using. People reported about ½ teaspoon per 100 typical 9mm boolits works (125gr).

11) I haven’t sized my bullets since early 1900’s why isn’t everyone doing that? A) Because most bullets are not perfectly round and lead shaving is bound to occur. B) Because also bullets vary in diameter and my case mouth expander is specifically from NOE has set size. C) Because I am using Hornady bullet feeder on my progressive press that relies on uniform bullet diameter to feed flawlessly. D) Because I don’t like to over expand case mouths to accommodate larger bullet and possibly get resized by the case when seated.
    But when sizing it deforms bullet and destroys surface hardness! When using Lee push through sizer I never seen deformed bullets even though I am going from .313 to .309 and surface harness I believe is overrated. I tested flat top bullets and ones where I removed 1/16 from the top on the lathe and found only 1-2 BHN difference between 2 sets of samples and effect is probably even less pronounced with softer lead. This was tested on very hard lead BHN 26 (tempered WW).
    Ok, I probably missed some but seriously, this is one awesome forum, and I learned a lot! Thank you for all who contributed and special thanks to Recluse.
    Last edited by dimaprok; 11-01-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    Tell me why zinc boolits don't lead......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I am wondering when the bullet is going down the bore does it melt and deposit some that tumble lube in the barrel or does it act soft of like like a coat to make a bullet slick? I am just wondering if I could use this in my 30 cal AR15, I don't want to clog the gas tube. Should I stick to powder coating?

Banned
    Yeah, WAY TO GO , BOSS...I was just about to become a Homer and ask what JPW meant until I read your fine example of a "TOTAL WORDSMITH". I've been using Xlox on my commercially purchased bullets and my home cast for a long time, and yes, I have collected a couple or three Mule Snot bottles along the way but just never bothered to do any mixing or tumbling. Just acquired a 40-65 Sharps and 38-55 Hi Wall, two Accurate Arms molds and a few hundred commercial bullets to start on...so all that few at a time is about to change. Thanks again.

What other goodies do you have up your sleeve?????

I just noticed I responded to a post from 9 YEARS AGO...the way these threads are set up is TOTALLY CONFUSING.
    Last edited by RAT MEAT; 02-05-2019 at 05:11 PM. Reason: SCREWY THREAD DATING

Moderator Emeritus

Rat Meat,
    Welcome to the forum.

The discussion threads at the top of the list, that have "sticky" as a prefix, have been put there because of their significant importance.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Not a big fan of cooking JPW so I diluted some white label Xlox with MS (took quite a bit & rigorous shakin' to be able to start scrapping it off to a container) on a humid mid 50s TX night. Old stock Xlox is more like a tootsie roll than mule snot.
    I then added equal amount of JPW as-is (always workable consistency in any weather) & shake the mix until homogeneous. Surprising that the more I shake the less viscous the mix seems to be so I shook it some more till it can barely flow back to the MS bottle.

Got a herd of PC'd 30cals (PBs & GCs) that I TL'd to the remnants of mixing container & let dry for a day. After drying, noticed a dull sheen on them but kinda shiny on lube-grooves. Load & shot a bunch on my 300BLK AR both supers & subs. Barrel seems cleaner but can't tell the difference in accuracy. I've done the same to my pistol CBs but haven't shot them yet...

Boolit Bub
    Thanks so much I'll have to try this out

Boolit Buddy
    I'm wanting to make some 45-45-10. Got some questions:
    Is JPW still available? If so, I would get that and cook off the volatile solvents and add an equal amount of LLA? (Then add 10% MS)
    If not JPW, what?
    Thanks in advance.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    I'm wanting to make some 45-45-10. Got some questions:
    Is JPW still available? If so, I would get that and cook off the volatile solvents and add an equal amount of LLA? (Then add 10% MS)
    If not JPW, what?
    Thanks in advance.
    Available at Lowe's and a lot of hardware stores.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
    Available at Lowe's and a lot of hardware stores.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Hot dog!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Being a KISS kind of guy, (OK, OK, I'm LAZY!), the whole cooking it off thing bothered me right off. So,,,,, I pared the recipe down to:
    1. Set the can of JPW in a pot with enough water to not quite float the can.
    2. Apply heat till it melts and shut heat off.
    3. Stir in one small bottle of Alox.

Waah-Laah, Bob's yer uncle. Have used this on .45's, .303, 7.62x54, and 7.92x57 up to 2000 fps.
    Rich @(:^]#>:::
    THERE IS ZERO NEED TO COOK IT. Have shot thousand and thousands of rounds in rifles and pistols using KISS lube made by warming a can of JPW and then squirting in 2 ounces of Alox, stir it, and let it cool. IT CAN PROBABLY BE DONE WITH A HAIR DRYER.

KISS dries tack free in less than 5 minutes. Do yourselves a favor, forget the incipient firebomb thing,,,,,,,.

Don't get me wrong, I will be eternally grateful to Recluse for coming up with the idea of combing JPW and Alox, but anything other than a gentle warm and stirring together is just unnecessary.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Is there any reason to add mineral spirits to your KISS formula.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    Is there any reason to add mineral spirits to your KISS formula.
    No, the only reason MS was being added was because it was being cooked out.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    So once you melt the Johnson's Paste Wax and add the Lee Alox , it stays in liquid form? I've been using 45 /45/10 with good results but this lube seems much easier.

Boolit Master

No, it cools to a very soft solid, like wet instant mashed potatoes. It cohesive enough to drag a bullet through it and come out it with enough to do a Cool-Whip bowl full, but instantly liquifies.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Excellent article.
    Curious if lubing bullets this way will hold up to faster velocities, say 1700 to 1800 fps.
    Yes me also. I.know its probably been asked, but curious to know the velocity limit of this lube. I love the stuff, only used it at 1200 so far.
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Master

New stuff to learn.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Mold
    great information and i also use white lube xlox

Hamish
    What size JPW are you using the 16 0z can? Is the LLA that potent that it only needs 2 oz vs some of the other recipes that use 4? Not doubting the K.I.S.S. method as I like the idea just wondering. Do you do the two coat method where you coat - size - coat?

Thanks

Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546 LastLast