Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546

Thread: Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free

Boolit Master
    Just made my first batch using Hamish's no cook method. Easy peasy. Float the Alox bottle in the double boiler for a couple minutes and it pours out like water. Been using BLL but that Lundmark wax is not available in stores here and I don't want to pay for shipping.

My batch seems to be staying quite liquid. Put it in the fridge for a couple hours after it cooled and it's still sloshing around in the can. Maybe if I leave the lid off for a while it will thicken up.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 05-20-2020 at 05:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp81 View Post
    I actually sized unlubed then lubed afterwards. I'll see if I get leading or not.
    Try spraying your as cast boolits with some Hornady 1 shot case lube before sizing them. Works great. Then tumble lube them.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Just shot about 40 rds. of .44 special with this lube recipe. Half coww and half pure with 2% tin. As cast which is just larger than the throats. 240 grain tl style boolit over 7.0 yrs. Unique. Accurate and no smoke and no leading. Small amount of antimonial wash that would never cause any problems. This is a good lube recipe.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Just made my first batch using Hamish's no cook method. Easy peasy. Float the Alox bottle in the double boiler for a couple minutes and it pours out like water. Been using BLL but that Lundmark wax is not available in stores here and I don't want to pay for shipping.

My batch seems to be staying quite liquid. Put it in the fridge for a couple hours after it cooled and it's still sloshing around in the can. Maybe if I leave the lid off for a while it will thicken up.
    Yes, mine too, makes it really easy to apply! As it ages it thickens a bit, I just add a bit more MS until it runs like water.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Yes, mine too, makes it really easy to apply! As it ages it thickens a bit, I just add a bit more MS until it runs like water.
    It dries really fast too.

I use alox and a ziplock bag let them dry in the bag as far as gumming up the seat die never have trouble with it but I do think some use way to much alox .
    I will give your mix a try

Boolit Buddy

Found some JPW today at Lowe's, 1lb cans of the stuff for $1.99. Think I will finally try to make it.
    Last edited by inspector_17; 10-05-2021 at 09:23 PM.

Cool Thanks to Tumble Lubing

Thank you for sharing your wisdom, I've never reloaded, even though I have a single throw reloading kit from Lee. I've had brass cases, powder, primers for 223/556 for years, just never got precast bullets. I want to make boolits instead and now that I know that I can lube the lead casts, I'm going to start looking for molds, if I can find the measurements I may be able to make my own molds, be that as it may, this was definitely part of the puzzle. Thanks much!

Boolit Mold
    If i use Carnauba wax instead of JPW what would the mixing parts be, i think in that case 45-45-10 should be to much wax, are my conclusion right or wrong
    Sincerely

Boolit Mold
    I haven't cast in over 20 years but since I'm (semi)retired I plan to start again.

Meantime, I have 500 Hornady swaged SWC's that lead my bore enough that accuracy degrades during a shooting session. I am going to use 45/45/10 applied over the factory wax coating, which is dry, powdery and sparse. Old I guess.

For my first batch of 45/45/10 I used a new, still-sealed bottle of Lee LLA. It was like honey that had crystallized. I heated it with warm water and still it was much like squeezing toothpaste. And I'll admit I eyeballed the proportions of JPW, LLA and MS. The resultant blend is semi-solid at room temperature even after re-melting and adding more MS.

So I tried another batch with another bottle of LLA and actually measured the three ingredients (There's a concept, eh?) This batch is very runny at room temp., which is what we want I guess?

Cooking the JPW even outside in the fresh air still gave me a bit of a headache. I see in a recent post about a no-cook method. I have tried to read this entire thread, every page, but the wife keeps coming up with honey-dos whenever I sit down for more than 15 minutes. So forgive me please but I must ask, is there a reference to the no-cook method?

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546