Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 25 ACP, Going Bravely Where No One Has Been!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    Slightly OT but relating to 25acp!
    Back in the old days when we had handguns in the UK a friend of mine used to reload 25acp for his then wife. I think it was a little Beretta semi.
    She came to the club one evening wearing a knee length skirt.
    She was a very trim and a very pretty woman.
    I asked her why the skirt and not the usual jeans.
    She reached down and pulled one side of her skirt up revealing stockings and the 25 acp tucked into the top of one!
    She let me shoot it and it was still warm!
    Mmmmmmmm!
    Always think of her when 25acp is talked about.
    Regards,
    Tony
    Tony,

I will always keep this gal in mind as I'm busting caps!
    Michael

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    No, the problem isn't that. Its getting the boolit started straight in that little case neck with your big fingers in the way.

Your NOT the first one to try improved boolits in the 25 ACP, no siree................

Would you like to share what you worked with?
    Michael

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    Hmmmm...

Two bad guys dead with bullets that failed shot from cartridges that are too small for "serious" work....

Regards,

Stew
    The Gold Dot I mentioned was from a 357 Mag!
    Michael

Boolit Master
    I found the box of .25 XTP's. They are not marked seconds. Thr bar-code label on the top makes me think they came from Midway. I did guess the weight wrong-they're 35gr not 40gr.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    Yes, majic bullets.

You want to get jumped on, just say that you don't trust jacketed hollow points and prefer a cast semi wadcutter!

Now you make me kinda wish I hadn't sold everything 25 ACP!

Enjoy your testing/shooting.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Buddy
    Two bad guys dead???!!!! Holy cow! That settles it then.

Seriously, any kind of shooting/load development sounds like fun to me. I wish you the best of luck with it.

I'll bet the .380 could benefit from a powdered tungsten core to get a heavier projectile in the same space. Its got a little more boiler room, too.

Smile

I remember that Winchester pellet-nose bullet. They got the idea from old English Express bullets.

I long ago heard a cop talking about a fellow cop who was killed by a .25 fired through a wooden door. It went through his heart and came out his back. The dead cop's friend was right there and saw it happen, and was impressed enough by what it did that he always afterward carried a .25 as a hideout gun. (He carried an M29 as his main piece.)

I was watching one of those forensic files shows the other night, about a restaurant owner who got murdered, as it turned out by a disgruntled employee. When found, he had a bruised knot in his central forehead. The .25 that went in the back of his head stopped under the skin there.

.25s may not be the ideal "stopper," but they deserve respect.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quack1 View Post
    I found the box of .25 XTP's. They are not marked seconds. Thr bar-code label on the top makes me think they came from Midway. I did guess the weight wrong-they're 35gr not 40gr.
    Very interesting! Same bullet as their loaded ammo but I've never seen them offered as a component.
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Hey, any gun is better than bare hands, even the .25. If someone was shooting one in my face I think I'd duck. My Mom carried a little Colt when she lived in Chicago, long ago, it was enough to deter two attacks. That's a nice looking bullet RD. I remember reading an article way back by a guy making .25 bullets out of steel on a lathe, penetrated like heck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quack1 View Post

I never doubted you for a second, just stating my experiences.

Looking at that picture makes my hands hurt. I think I'll go reload some grown up bullets.

Banned

I don't think we should be talking defense, just fun! Any gun is fun. Darn, if I could load .22's, I would try it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I don't think we should be talking defense, just fun! Any gun is fun. Darn, if I could load .22's, I would try it.
    Same here, I take great pleasure in starting with a blank page and seeing it through.
    Michael

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I just went back and read your original post (the one that prompted me to make that remark) and it looks like you were talking about a .25 Gold Dot, since it's included in your comments about your new boolit which don't mention a different caliber. I'm not coming down on you, just explaining my comment.

Either way, I guess it pays not to get shot with ANY caliber.

Your design is interesting. I have a set of Corbin dies that use shotgun primer battery cups as jackets for .25 caliber softpoint handgun bullets. I got them from a former gun writer 20 or so years ago and haven't tried them out yet. One of these days...

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    Good luck with those, the 32 ACP is enough of a finger biter for me, and I don't have anything that uses 25. When I started reloading 32ACP I thought about trying the 100 grain Lee but chickened out over the case capacity. I will be following how your 25 project goes.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Grand Master

Anything Ranch Dog does is of interest to me, even if I don't really appreciate the value of some of his endevors. Sure do enjoy his 165 30 cal, his 190 357, his .375, and his 44's, and consider myself lucky to get them befor he got out of the business.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Michael did you ever make a design fot the .32acp? Just was wondering if there would enough interest in a GB if someone would make a drawing for NOE to use?

Boolit Master
    leadeye
    I have used the Lee 311-100-2R in the 32 ACP(CZ-50) with good results. You do not have much case capacity left but 1.1 grs. of Bullseye will operate my pistol and is fun to shoot. I seated the boolits out as far as I could and still fit in the mag, in my pistol it was .990. The vel. is a little less than 600 but it will build up fast. I went up to 1.4 grs. of BE, the vel was 730 but I backed back down as the lighter load hits POA at about 30 ft.

Dave

Boolit Master
    While I agree the 25 is a meek and weak cartridge, it is a good little pocket pistol for around the house. I owned a Raven back in the '80s and wish I never sold it. Accurate as hell with no recoil to talk about. Could easily place all 6 shots into a perps face or chest at 15 to 20 ft. I say experiment on. I sometimes keep my old H&R 922 by my side in the house. Have it next to me right now while typing. It is mostly not the caliber, but shot placement that decides the final outcome.

Hey Michael I know I have at least 50, or more, range pick up 25 cases. If you want them for your experiment, you just cover the shipping in a USPS small flat rate box and they are yours. Only be around $5. PM me if you want them.
    Last edited by armyrat1970; 11-16-2009 at 06:26 AM.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago

Would you like to share what you worked with?
    I have the NEI and RCBS molds for the 25 ACP. I have flat pointed both and tried the flat meplat and drilled HPs in them. They weighed somewhere in the low 40 gr. range and can be pushed (very dependent on which pistol you have) pretty good (powder was RedDot). They expanded nicely and showed some expansion cavity in clay. A lot better than the factory offerings.

Boolit Master
    I've got a Gun Digest from the early '90's in which the author of an article discusses the "P" factor--penetration--that is an overlooked element in "stopping power". To make a long story short(er), he discusses the fact that any gunshot wound is a serious puncture wound, enough in and of itself to stop a surprisingly high number of negative social encounters. Others can do what they like, but if I am going to rely on one of these pipsqeaks to stop an attack, I want the most solid slug I can get--expansion don't interest me, only punching as deep a hole as possible. Far from being useless, these little guys can be very useful in a number of bad situations.
    lathesmith

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast