WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 223 molds

Boolit Buddy

223 molds

greetings all. pretty new to the site post wise , but I have been reading quite a few posts . so I have been looking around and have a question or two I can not seem to find a definitive answer to.

. I was looking to cast a bullet for 223 application, and was looking for something that was profiled like a 55 gr FMJ. All I see in the way of current production molds is something like a RCBS 55 SP mold with the flat on top, or a round nose configuration. Now I did see an older lyman 225450 ( I believe it was lyman ) that is pointed, in an article beagle wrote about the 223 that was really close to what I am looking for , but no one seems to make them anymore . why is that ??

second question is from what I have read it is more difficult to cast anything under 30 cal , so how much difficulty does doing a 223 bullet with a point make it?? does the point create fill out problems within the mold ?

thanks
    charlie

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    The first questions the more experienced fellows are going to ask, is the application for an AR, or single shot/bolt gun, and do you know which chamber you have? (NATO 5.56, .223, or Wylde.)
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

i'm going with it being an AR [it always is]
    just get the rcbs mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    The first questions the more experienced fellows are going to ask, is the application for an AR, or single shot/bolt gun, and do you know which chamber you have? (NATO 5.56, .223, or Wylde.)
    actually it is for both and AR and a bolt gun. AR is 5.56 and bolt is 223 wylde. Please trust me and do not take this the wrong way , as I do not want to sound like a smart ***, but what difference does the chamber or action type have to do with the questions I asked ??

1st question was why do MFG's not make a pointed bullet mold for the 223 anymore, or do they and I just am not able to find it through searching? Second question was about difficult the profile could or would add to the casting process.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    i'm going with it being an AR [it always is]
    just get the rcbs mold.
    your quote of [ it always is ] seems like I may have annoyed you with my question some how . sorry if I offended you with my questions.
    I did some research and found answers to most of my questions, and thought I was asking reasonable questions about the casting process and difficulties a design might add, as I do not have any real experience in casting. I did not want to be the newbie that asks the same question every week, like what mold works best and did not think I was . I know the RCBS will work along with the NOE and a few others, so I was not asking what is best or anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by cstrickland View Post
    actually it is for both and AR and a bolt gun. AR is 5.56 and bolt is 223 wylde. Please trust me and do not take this the wrong way , as I do not want to sound like a smart ***, but what difference does the chamber or action type have to do with the questions I asked ??
    Because some of the molds available for .223 bullets have a profile that usually only work properly in 5.56 or .223 wylde chambers. Some bullets may not feed reliably on an AR due to the bullet profile. As for the cast bullets not being pointy like FMJ I would say some of the reason may be do to cast .223 bullets needing to be sized and often times gas checks added. You could distort the bullet easier if it was pointed.

Boolit Buddy

Who knows why Lyman switches designs? I would be no new pointy molds because they are not easily cut on a lathe or mill.

Pointy bullets shouldn't be too difficult to cast. Easier than a HP boolit for sure.

Were you trying to get a high BC boolit?
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Oklahoma and Idaho - and not depending on the weather.
    I never thought to cast for a AR platform... I thought there were problems fouling the gas tube. Is that internet legand?
    Best Regards,
    John

Banned

pointed cast boolits just don't do well at any kind of velocity.
    they fly very well and are super accurate just not at velocity.
    you have to take the design into consideration and the unsupported nose is affected by issues inside the barrel and then more problems in flight ensue from the damage.

cstrickland:
    I wasn't trying to be patronizing, or condescending.
    the 22 cals are a whole nuther ball game when it comes to cast.
    they aren't like flinging lead from a 44 mag or a 30-30 at velocity there is a whole lot more to them.
    you don't just make some boolits, pick off the couple of wrinkly ones and go to shooting.
    unless 3" groups at 50 yds at 16-1700 fps is what you really want.

Boolit Master
    To add to what runfiverun said about being limited velocity wise a pointed cast 22 cal because of its small diameter would have a very week nose that would bend easily in a semi feed system. In order to avoid this the olgive would have to be very short so the profile would be much shorter and more blunt than FMJ bullets of the same weight.
    Pointed boolits are no harder to cast than any other but pointy boolits with long efficient olgives are very limited in velocity to maintane accuracy. Add the semi auto feed system and you have two strikes against you from the start.

Boolit Buddy
    runfiverun thanks for the feedback. I wold not have expected that the nose would be that susceptible to deformation in the barrel or loading. my initial thought would be a hard cast bullet would survive that process. I can understand once it is deformed it wont shoot for nothin !!
    yeah from what I read itty bitty 22 are difficult at best to cast , and no I would want to get more accuracy than that.

glad I didn't offend as I am just here to learn , and start doing some casting.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtDog0311 View Post
    I never thought to cast for a AR platform... I thought there were problems fouling the gas tube. Is that internet legand?
    John I have personally never shot cast in an AR so I can only relate what I have read, that being said there are several guys that I have read about that are or have done it. read the post in this link and you can see even after 500 rounds leading the gas tube is not an issue http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...st-Bullet-Test .

Also Google " 223 why grown men cry" it was written by a member here from what I read, and it has a lot of excellent information on the subject.

you can not push it as fast as a standard bullet. I am hearing around 2400 ish max with a gas check but I can live with that. Considering you can cast a bullet and gas check it for near nothing , but the time you have in it is really appealing. On that note though I also read the small bullets are more difficult to cast.

Moderator Emeritus

Cast in the AR is a 300 college class for most not a beginners course.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

2400 is not even close to maximum.
    2800 is when things start to get real difficult.
    I really like shooting my 22 cals with cast, this includes the 22-250 and 220 swift.
    I think they are my favorite round with cast actually, followed by the 30.
    the ar is just another 22 cal

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    2400 is not even close to maximum.
    2800 is when things start to get real difficult.
    I really like shooting my 22 cals with cast, this includes the 22-250 and 220 swift.
    I think they are my favorite round with cast actually, followed by the 30.
    the ar is just another 22 cal
    2800 ish would be even better . I had only read 2400ish and after that the accuraccy starts to degrade quickly. Would you mind shring the specifics with me on the 2800 load ??

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Cast in the AR is a 300 college class for most not a beginners course.
    thats what I hear but I have seen more than a few posts and videos of people doing it, so it is not impossible. Seems it just takes some experimenting and lots of patience. I am currentkly looking for the RCBS mold so see what I can do .

Boolit Buddy

I use a Lyman mold for my 223, I use the same load for 2 different bolt guns and 3 different AR's. My mold has a rounded nose and feeds well in all the guns, chambers are both 223 and 5.56.

Yes casting the 22 calibers are a little harder than 30 caliber or larger but not impossible.
    The problem with our society is a decline in morals, only the people of this once great nation can choose to correct that problem, morality cannot be regulated by our government.

Boolit Master
    cstrickland, welcome to the forum! The first three rules of cast bullets are ,BULLET FIT, BULLET FIT, BULLET FIT!

Bullets need to be .001” to .002” larger then your groove diameter in order to seal the powder gasses behind the bullet.

A 5.56 NATO chamber is different then a 223 Remington chamber, not in where the actual chamber is but forward of the case mouth sometimes called the throat/lead/ball seat.
    This is the area of concern with a NATO chamber in both 5.56 and 7.62 and how the bullet will fit to seal the powder gases and align the bullet.

As bullet caliber goes down defects are magnified, and in the case of a 22 caliber they are greatly magnified. With a 500 grain 45 caliber bullet a 1% variation = 5 grains, with a 50 grain 22 caliber bullet 1% = .5 grains so sorting and culling has to be more ruthless in order to get accuracy.

One of the problems with casting 22 caliber bullets is keeping the mould hot enough. First a hot plate to pre-heat your mould and additional alloy to replenish your casting pot will go a long way of starting out. Next you will have to maintain a good cadence in your casting speed to keep the mould at a good operating temperature along with your alloy.

Two things I have started to do thanks to CastBoolits members here is, I now have a PID controller I bought from Frozone a member here at CastBoolits, and Al from N.O.E. started to drill his moulds for a temperature probe that he also sells, I have been drilling and tapping all my moulds as I use them. Now I agree that you don’t really need both of these to cast good bullets, but it will sure make things a lot easier and repeatable casting good bullets.

Not bragging but with cast bullets in my Remington 40X chambered in 7.62 NATO, my record 5 shot group at 100 yards is .305” and at 300 yards is 1.610”

The more effort in controlling every step you take with documentation, the more satisfying the results you will receive.

So my question is how much accuracy do you want to get out of your guns?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    cstrickland, welcome to the forum! The first three rules of cast bullets are ,BULLET FIT, BULLET FIT, BULLET FIT!

Bullets need to be .001” to .002” larger then your groove diameter in order to seal the powder gasses behind the bullet.

A 5.56 NATO chamber is different then a 223 Remington chamber, not in where the actual chamber is but forward of the case mouth sometimes called the throat/lead/ball seat.
    This is the area of concern with a NATO chamber in both 5.56 and 7.62 and how the bullet will fit to seal the powder gases and align the bullet.
    As bullet caliber goes down defects are magnified, and in the case of a 22 caliber they are greatly magnified. With a 500 grain 45 caliber bullet a 1% variation = 5 grains, with a 50 grain 22 caliber bullet 1% = .5 grains so sorting and culling has to be more ruthless in order to get accuracy.

One of the problems with casting 22 caliber bullets is keeping the mould hot enough. First a hot plate to pre-heat your mould and additional alloy to replenish your casting pot will go a long way of starting out. Next you will have to maintain a good cadence in your casting speed to keep the mould at a good operating temperature along with your alloy.

Two things I have started to do thanks to CastBoolits members here is, I now have a PID controller I bought from Frozone a member here at CastBoolits, and Al from N.O.E. started to drill his moulds for a temperature probe that he also sells, I have been drilling and tapping all my moulds as I use them. Now I agree that you don’t really need both of these to cast good bullets, but it will sure make things a lot easier and repeatable casting good bullets.

Not bragging but with cast bullets in my Remington 40X chambered in 7.62 NATO, my record 5 shot group at 100 yards is .305” and at 300 yards is 1.610”

The more effort in controlling every step you take with documentation, the more satisfying the results you will receive.

So my question is how much accuracy do you want to get out of your guns?

Doc right now I was looking at casting for practice ammo. now if I could hit the 2600 - 2700 range from a 55 - 65 grain bullet on velocity and get 1 - 1.5 MOA out to 400 yards I would be happy . I have had extended practice where I have burned through 500+ rounds in a day shooing at reactive targets from 50 - 300 yards, with occasional 400-500 yard shots. I calculated cost wise I could save about 1/2 cost on reloading cast, which would be about $50 - $70 a pracitce . I already handload and would not mid the casting, as the goal would be to cast through the winter months, when I do not go out and practice as much , that way I would have a nice stock pile for the summer when I would shoot more than cast.
    so this is not something I am looking to get into and get immediate results. I have more than enough time to get everything together for this winter. the goal would be to have an acceptable load / bullet combo worked out, and then between 4000 - 5000 cast by this time next year.

this may be an agressive schedule for some but I feel it is doable

Banned

casting them is not what takes the time.
    it's the ruthless culling, the weight sorting, making sure the checks are on square, making sure the lube fills the groove properly.
    we are dealing in one thousandth of an inch and .1 gr weight variations.
    that is just the boolit.
    the cases and especially the neck/chamber relationship in alignment with the bore make a huge difference.
    I don't expect a regular stag ar to shoot 1/2" groups, but it will shoot under
    2" 100 yd groups if I pay attention to the details.
    little girl showed it at the Nevada cast boolit gathering in her ar last year shooting at over 2700 fps and held accuracy the entire weekend.

my other 22 cal rifles will easily shoot under 1" consistently at that distance.
    if I really pick and poke, my target/varmint rifles will hold 1/2" [and quite often much better] easy nuff.
    but I have to go full out ocd to get them to do it, which burns up time like you wouldn't believe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast