Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In quest of a 45LC double action

Boolit Buddy

In quest of a 45LC double action

In my search for a double action 45LC I have had a bunch of questions regarding the Ruger Redhawk and I thank everyone for their responses. While laying in bed this morning I had a epiphany or maybe a brain fart but it crossed my mind that I might be able to have my S&W ltd 1988 model 25 .45acp fitted with a 45LC cylinder. Would this be possible or just a wast of time? Would need a new cylinder and the barrel shortened at the throat. Don't know whether this would ruin a limited run gun or not.
    Suggestion on whether this would be a worth while endever and any problems that you might see appreciated.
    Some way some how I am going to get a 45LC double action!

Dogg

It would be cheaper to just find a S&W mod 25 chambered in 45 LC.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Dogg, I have been to several S&W armouer schools while a cop and would have to agree with Supermag. Sometimes things are possible but cost makes them not the best to do.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
    I might be able to have my S&W ltd 1988 model 25 .45acp fitted with a 45LC cylinder. Would this be possible or just a wast of time?Dogg

Yes you probably could, but It would most likely be cheaper to trade the gun off and then buy a 45colt.

You might try to straight trade some one your 45acp for a 45colt, maybe even someone on this forum would be willing to make that kind of trade.

Are you looking for a gun that can handle +P 45 loads or just the standard loads?

Boolit Buddy
    I really would like something that could handle the same loads as my leveraction, which probably negates the S&W.

Boolit Master

Just get you a Redhawk and go with it.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    I really would like something that could handle the same loads as my leveraction.
    What type of lever do you have?

Boolit Buddy
    Dogg, If you were to get a .45LC cylinder for your Smith, you would also need another ACP cylinder that would make up for the shortened end of the barrel. Methinks you'd be better off getting a Ruger or try to find a Smith already chambered for .45LC.
    My 2 cents,
    Tim sends

Taurus option

Hi Dogg -

It may not be to your taste, but for a short while Taurus produced .45 LC in a variety of models - blue, stainless, alum/stainless, think even titanium - mostly 5-shot compacts, but mebbe a 6" Tracker too.

The owner's manual w/early production stated they were good for +P loads, tho' later manuals did not.

I have an Ultralite for carry which I like very well.
    While not particularly startling, my standard load of 255gr swc gets ~725ps from the 2" bbl, about the same as factory IIRC.
    Vented bbl and their great grips make it a comfortable enough, tho' not wimpy, gun to shoot - less percieved recoil than 230gr factory .45 ACPs in a fullsize.

Good luck in your quest.

regards,

Boolit Master
    Good point pbchunkr,

I had forgotten about Taurus. Not sure if their guns are +P rated, but they do/did make a number of 45 DA revolvers including the totally awesome Judge 410/45.

I personally would still take a Ruger or a Smith, but Taurus’s revolvers do seem to be pretty good quality. I make a point to say revolvers, because I have fired 4 Taurus handguns 2 where pistols, 2 where revolvers (the Judge was one of the 2). I was impressed by the revolvers especially considering the price, but the autos made far better paper weights then guns.

Dogg,

I know where you're coming from in your quest. The ability to shoot heavy, large caliber bullets at 44 mag velocities in a ~4" DA revolver is awfully nice. While this isn't number one on my "have to have" list, it is most definately on there.

The S&W mdl 25 (especially in the Mountain Gun model) would be the ideal candidate......nice trigger, light weight.........BUT it's not going to handle ~30K CUP loads, or at least not too many of them.

So for me (and to keep cost reasonable), I have a couple of options in mind.
    I also just don't like the looks of the SRH, so simply cutting the barrel down on one isn't an option for me.

Option 1. Go w/ the Ruger 4" Redhawk in 45Colt and find somebody to do an action job and give me a reasonable trigger pull.

Option 2. Just go w/ a S&W mdl 29/629 (ideally their Mountain Gun) in 44 mag. I'd have to accept that if i want 250+ grain bullets moving at 1200+ fps, then go with the cartridge that was designed to operate at these pressures with these bullets. This would be a relatively light revolver with a nice trigger. I can always find somebody who can improve the S&W trigger if I'm not happy with the factory trigger.

Option 3. Same as option 1, but find one in 44 mag.

Just something else to muddy up the water for you

~c.r.

Colt Anaconda

Love mine. They are not cheap anymore but sometimes you can find one for around $800. Buffalo bore states its plus P is ok in them. The grip helps tame the recoil of heavy loads.

Boolit Master
    Ditto on teh 625/629 mountain gun idea. No it is not a Redhawk but then again you have to ask yourself what you plan on doing with it. a S&W MG is a svelte 39 oz. A Redhawk is close to 50.

Boolit Master

The other edk

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Ditto on teh 625/629 mountain gun idea. No it is not a Redhawk but then again you have to ask yourself what you plan on doing with it. a S&W MG is a svelte 39 oz. A Redhawk is close to 50.
    I had a 45 Colt cylinder from the 125 Anniversary S&W fitted to a 25-2 back in the 70s. The Gunsmith didn't get the little cylinder stop thing on the frame done quite right and some other minor screw-ups, but the gun worked. One of the PITA items was that I had to trim the 45 LC casings in order to crimp the Keith semi-wadcutters in the crimping groove...too long for the cylinder! This was a shining example of the KISS principle...Keep It Simple Stupid! and a waste of time and money and aggravation.

If you're going to carry a lot and not shoot too much high performance...read wrist wreckers!...get a SMITH & WESSON and don't abuse it. If you want high performance, get the REDHAWK and pay for longevity with increased weight. BUT the extra weight of the heavy duty gun will also make for more pleasant shooting. Think in terms of a Model 29 versus a REDHAWK/SUPER REDHAWK.

UNCLE ED'S LAW: IF YOU NEED A MAXIMUM LOAD, YOU NEED A BIGGER GUN!

Boolit Bub
    I really would like something that could handle the same loads as my leveraction, which probably negates the S&W.
    I'm going the process of trying out loads for .45LC leverguns and mountain guns right now. Looking at data for the RCBS 270SAA bullet, there are several loads that push this 280 gr Keith-style at 1000-1100fps from a handgun at pressures safe for the Smith MG. Add a couple hundred fps for a rifle barrel and you're talking some decent power for deer and hogs.

12.5grHS6 was accurate in both, and about like a .22 from the rifle (well, a .38, anyways). Pretty quiet, too.

I'll be working up a little bit from there, and trying out 2400 (going to load some in a few minutes) and AA#7 too.

Already tried titegroup and unique. Titegroup gets a fail beacuse of accuracy in my revolver. Unique will get another look, but had position sensitivity problems. That might have been exacerbated by insufficient case neck tension, though, so that's why it gets another try.

What's the point of all this rambling? Well, just that in DA revolvers, the Smith MG is just so much more packable and shootable than a Redhawk for me. A Redhawk is a primary hunting gun moreso than a backup, IMHO. It's worth it to me to accept a little reduction in range with the carbine in order to keep commonality with the superior sidearm. I do have a 300gr WFNGC mould that I wil use to work up some stomper loads for the carbine. I'll ONLY use that bullet for heavy (30KPSI)loads, so I'll know to keep them out of the Smiths.

Oh, and a conversion isn't worth it. It'd probably be cheaper in the long run to just buy a .45LC and keep your ACP than to convert it.

Boolit Master
    I can see the desirability of using a common cartridge in a carbine and rifle if they chamber the same ammo. I also love the 45 colt round and have several handguns and rifles in that caliber. However, years of combat experience all around the world by the US and British armys (I am talking over 130 years of experience) has shown that a 45 slug weighing between 330 and 360 gr and traveling at velocities between 700 and 850 fps is a superior man stopper. I can also see the need for a hot load in a 45 colt carbine for hunting big game such as deer and black bear. I also can make a case for having a handgun that you can use for hunting the same critters with. These +P loads while necessary for hunting (may even be leagally required like in my State) I can not see any need for them for self defense. Your S&W in 45 acp is all the defensive gun you need so get a 45 colt handgun for hunting. If I were you I would buy a full sized Red Hawk and leave it alone.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, thanks for all the input, I appreciate everyones ideas and suggestion.
    To answer some of the questions. I have 6 or the Hartford 92s, 24" barrel rifles in 45LC., so I need a companion handgun. Will probably shoot moderate loads most of the time but want the ability to shoot heavy 300gr loads also. Would also not like to have to worry about a heavy load finding its way into the revolver and have it go ballistic.
    I guess I answered my own question about using the SMith, guess I will be watching for a super redhawk cause I like unfluted cylinders. I have a 5" redhawk in 44mag but must say the grip configuration and the trigger leave something to be desired, from what I have read in my other post the super redhawk addresses these concerns. I have actually never been much of a revolver shooter, prefering 1911s or other semi-auto but since getting into the leveraction scene guess the revolvers will get in my blood also! Thanks again everyone.
    Oh, for those who wonder why I have all the 92s, to make a long story short, I lucked on to a company that does lazer engraving and they had purchased to many Hartford 92s, all of them special orders with well fitted nicely figured walnut stock and and I got them for a very good price, including 2 pairs of consecutive serial numbers, 3 stainless,2 blued and 1 casehardened. And for those that think the Hartford Rossi is not well made, let me just say they look better and shoot better than my marlins.

Boolit Bub

.45 colt

The redhawk is brute strong and will outlast you and your kids. You could also try to find a Colt anaconda. I had a chance to buy one a few years ago and didnt. Been kickin myself since then. Both of these will allow you to shoot anything from plinkers to 44mag level loads. A smith25-2 will cover most things You want to do, however You cant get those heavy loads as easy as you can with the others. The Smith is a fine handgun but it will batter its innards with a steady diet of big loads. Just my 2 cents. I have had a Redhawk and i have a Bisley and a std. blackhawk, I shoot the snot out of them. I shot the snot out of the Redhawk also until I gave it to my nephew. He shot it well and could not find one of his own for sale anywhere.
    I dont know much but I know big bullets make everything better!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    The redhawk is brute strong and will outlast you and your kids. You could also try to find a Colt anaconda. I had a chance to buy one a few years ago and didnt. Been kickin myself since then. Both of these will allow you to shoot anything from plinkers to 44mag level loads. A smith25-2 will cover most things You want to do, however You cant get those heavy loads as easy as you can with the others. The Smith is a fine handgun but it will batter its innards with a steady diet of big loads. Just my 2 cents. I have had a Redhawk and i have a Bisley and a std. blackhawk, I shoot the snot out of them. I shot the snot out of the Redhawk also until I gave it to my nephew. He shot it well and could not find one of his own for sale anywhere.
    I wouldn't kick myself too hard. I had an Anaconda in 45 Colt and wasn't impressed with it. I put a 7 power scope on it and believe me I tried every kind of load I could shoot from it from cast to jacketed and the revolver just was not accurate. I overall wasn't impressed with it either. Sold it and don't miss it one iota.

Another revolver that might be looked into is I believe Taurus made a Raging Bull in 45 Colt. I know they made one in 454, but I think they had it in 45 Colt also, along with a whole bunch of other calibers.

Joe

Don't snub a Colt New Service! They may have a little age to them, but all that I've ever owned were among the most accurate and well made six-guns ever. My best field shooting's been done with a 1904 vintage New Service in .45 Colt. The action is smooth as glass and delivers a 265gr. somewhat soft cast Keith boolit on target at 50yds. with enough "whomp" to drop just about any North American game animal.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast