RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: interest in high-tin organ pipe?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R.C. Hatter View Post
    Fire:Put me down for about 20-25 lbs. if it it is proven to be 38% tin and the balance lead per your analysis.
    Keep in mind the tone of the organ gets its sound from the thinkness, length, and alloy of the organ pipes. The thinner ones are high in tin than the bigger ones.

Boolit Mold

$3/lb

I would be up for 20-30 lbs at $3, depending on composition (at least 30$ tin).

Boolit Buddy
    I'd also be on for at least 10 lbs. Will wait to see how this pans out.
    Lead is the new Gold!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm in for 25-30# lbs at the $3/lb plus shipping. Any word on composition.

still working on getting this stuff.

it's mine, just have to transport.

this hasn't seen the x-ray gun yet, but SHOULD be a binary alloy of pb/sn (very small traces of other antimony and/or copper) my SG test came out to about 38% tin, but....... that was the quick, at home version, as soon as I get it all mixed, I'll get an x-ray gun on it, and determine EXACT composition. the $3/lb is assuming it's in the 40% tin range, with no appreciable amounts of contaminants.

alrighty, got the call. I'm picking this up tomorrow morning, hopefully will start the melting process tomorrow as well (weather permitting).

this will be my last update until it's all mixed up, and tested, will then post alloy here, with link to swap/sell thread.

for the record, I am open to a limited number of trades on this, once it's going.

I need 2-300 lbs of lino would swap this 2lino/1pipe (assuming tin content where it's supposed to be)

I need a whole list of top punches, and sizing dies for lyman 450, would make fair swaps.

also need bullplate , beeswax (and/or boolit lube)

the list may advance, but If you've got any of these things, and want pipe, set-em aside, and we'll talk when I update next.

c'ya all when I'm done with all this melting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xd-40 View Post
    I've got about 2k lbs of organ pipe available, but am hesitant to grab it unless I know I can move a lot of it to y'all (financial considerations).

my research indicates that these pipes are tin/lead with possible trace elements of cu and antimony

based on this, I calculated the SG of my samples, did some math, and what I have in hand is, per my calculations just under 40% tin. (38.5%)

just wondering if anyone here would be interested in this at about $3/lb (would have this professionally assayed for exact comp before selling)
    If you send me a small sample, I can perform the analysis.

John

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by johnly View Post

John
    This! A 3rd party analysis would put all doubts aside!

Not that we don't trust ya.
    Lead is the new Gold!

Quote Originally Posted by johnly View Post

John

PM me with your address.

what kind of equipment do you use?

love a 3'rd party doublecheck. I'm still gonna have the guys shoot it with their x-ray gun thingy. but if it would make people rest easier, and you have the equipment to do it, and ya can do it QUICK I'll send ya 10 lbs or so to test. you keep the sample for fee.

Boolit Grand Master

I might be interested in some, depending on testing results.

I was visiting family in Grand Rapids this summer, during August when it rained all the time.

Boolit Buddy
    I could do the XRF analysis if I receive a sample till the end of this year. One drop is enough. With the paper, where the molten metal is dropped, it perfectly fits into the first class envelope.

PM me for an address if interested. I will post the results of the XRF next working day after receiving the sample.

Boolit Master
    I would be interested in 20 or more pounds but I would like to see what it assays at before a commitment.

helg is being gracious enough to have this tested for me.

I have the first "half" in possession, when I got down there, the gentleman had not finished sorting all the "bad" pipe from the "good" pipe.

it was sorted based on physical qualities, and I will have test results for eight different alloys. once I get those, we'll see what they are, and figure out if you guys want them as-is, or if I should alloy to make 40% (pretty sure I've got some real low tin, real high tin, and pure pb)

it's all melted, and samples to be tested will be overnighted today or tomorrow (depending on when I get the lead packaged and mailed)

Boolit Master

New friendships

Xd just wondering how you are going to send out packages of tin earliest?

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Xd just wondering how you are going to send out packages of tin earliest?

samples are going in USPS overnight mail tomorrow, helg should be receiving christmas eve. he said I should have results next working day, so hopefully will be able to post sale thread, accept paypal, and ship by the 2'nd-3'rd of jan.

this is assuming that the alloys helg is testing for me are acceptable to y'all, and I don't have to melt/mix them. (I've got one that appears to be extremely high in tin, one that appears to be pure pb, and 6 different appearing alloys in between)

it's currently melted into separate batches of ingots, so if the alloys fall in acceptable range will be able to ship the day after test results arrive. if alloys too high/low in tin, will mix, then post sale.

results are in

I will be putting each batch on the scale, to ensure that I do not list more of each alloy than I have. listings should be up tomorrow, at which point I'll list these test results on the F/S thread, and link that thread to this and vice versa.

pricing for
    #1 will be $3/lb
    I need to determine competetive (fair) pricing for the weaker alloys, and the pure/near pure pb

this trip down I came back with approximately 800 lbs of lead/lead alloy in total, there is supposed to be some more being delivered at some point in the semi-near future. the lead was separated by physical appearance/texture, and melted in separate batches. test results for 9 samples(from the 9 different batches of lead) are shown below. note, the last test is the only one with zinc content, and was intended to, this will also be for sale, for those of you with high paying scrapyards, or interest for boolit experimentation/cannonballs.

courtesy of helg

"Summary of the XRF tests is below. In addition to numbers, it includes the URL to download all supporting documents for the tests with more details of the test results.

I believe that the alloy, which you plan to offer, is the sample #1. Mean content of the alloy is measured as 66.6%Pb-33.4%Sn with about +/- 2% of standard deviation from point to point. I could publish these numbers to your thread at the forum together with the supporting document Alloy1.doc, if you confirm that the #1 is the alloy that you plan to offer, the results look adequate, and the publishing is OK for you.

Merry Christmas!
    --
    helg

---------
    #1: 67Pb-33Sn. These percentages corespond to so-called "eutectic Pb-Sn alloy"
    #2: 81Pb-18Sn
    #3: 99.2Pb, trace of Co and Ni
    #4: 100Pb
    #5: 99.9Pb, trace of Ni
    #6: 98.6Pb-1.4Sn
    #7: 100Pb
    #8: 84Pb-16Sn
    #9: .8Pb-1Sn, 98.2% Zn

Notes:
    1. Percent measurement is by mass.

2. Trace amount detection is unreliable.

3. Supporting documents for samples with almost pure lead (##3,4,5,7)
    are in a form of screenshot from an XRF machine.

4. Alloys (##1,2,6,8,9) have been measured each in
    five points, making three measurement on each point. Supporting documents for
    the alloys contain results of the 15 individual measurements and statistical summary
    that includes mean value. The documents are in Microsoft Word format.

5. Each scan reflects alloy content in a circle of about .1mm diameter.
    Depth of the scan varies for different
    materials. Voltage used was 50 kV. For Pb it scans to about 10-15 microns deep.

6. Archive with all supporting documents (6Mb) is available at
    http://helg.com/~helg/xd-40.xrf.20091225.zip
    -----------"

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...743#post758743

sale thread for what I've got now is here.