MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Lee Liquid Alox question

Lee Liquid Alox question

i have been using this stuff since i began casting. it is very easy to use, and seems pretty adequet for most of my handgun boolits. the question i have is, do you stand your boolits on end to dry, or just toss them however they come out of your container, and leave them lay on their sides. for the most part, i had been standing each boolit up, so the coating would be similar (concentric) all the way around, and not thick on the bottom, and thin on the top. but when i am doing several hundred boolits, that is a real p.i.a. ! since i started casting rifle boolits, i just leave them lay on their side. but most of those i install gas checks on, so the lla gets pushed around / smeared off or through by the sizer anyway. i also hand pack all of the grooves with grease after installing the gas checks (i REALLY need a lube-sizer) which is horribly time consuming and messy, but just a couple of coats of lla after installing the gas cheks doesnt really seem to do the job. i end up scrubbing lead from the barrels if i do that. yah, i know,! but anyway, what do you guys do? leave them lay, or stand each boolit up?

Boolit Master

I have a Star lubrisizer and a Lyman 45 and both are now safe queens. I use LLA on rifle and pistol and get no leading. I don't thin the LLA as many do. Cast, tumble lube, size and gas check if needed then tumble lube again. If the boolit is the right diameter and alloy accuracy is good and no leading problems. I stand up the rifle boolits with a hemostat to dry the pistol stuff just gets dumped on waxed paper and shook around on my table to keep them from sticking to each other. I sometimes sprinkle a bit of motor mica after they have sat for a day or so but that doesn't seem to make any difference other than hiding the brown color of the LLA.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

I do a very light coat and dump and let dry as they fall. If they are GC I put them on and then I dip in alox and stand on end, very similar to the sticky by Ranch Dog.

TUBLE LUBE POLL
    Yes, I know it's cocked, It's got bullets too.

If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)

There's a thread on this question elsewhere. I haven't answered there because it's a long thread.

I simply dry them as they fall onto the waxed paper. Unless I use too much LLA, there isn't enough on each bullet to "drain" to the bottom. The thinner the coat, the better it works, it seems to me. Full strength LLA also drips less.

I also dust them with motor mica, after they dry overnight. It keeps them from sticking together after I box them up, and might even add a bit of lubricity.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by XWrench3 View Post
    but anyway, what do you guys do? leave them lay, or stand each boolit up?

See here for a current poll on your question:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66720

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    "I also dust them with motor mica, after they dry overnight. It keeps them from sticking together after I box them up, and might even add a bit of lubricity.
    For the Motor Mica
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Quote Originally Posted by XWrench3 View Post
    i have been using this stuff since i began casting. it is very easy to use, and seems pretty adequet for most of my handgun boolits. the question i have is, do you stand your boolits on end to dry, or just toss them however they come out of your container, and leave them lay on their sides. for the most part, i had been standing each boolit up, so the coating would be similar (concentric) all the way around, and not thick on the bottom, and thin on the top. but when i am doing several hundred boolits, that is a real p.i.a. ! since i started casting rifle boolits, i just leave them lay on their side. but most of those i install gas checks on, so the lla gets pushed around / smeared off or through by the sizer anyway. i also hand pack all of the grooves with grease after installing the gas checks (i REALLY need a lube-sizer) which is horribly time consuming and messy, but just a couple of coats of lla after installing the gas cheks doesnt really seem to do the job. i end up scrubbing lead from the barrels if i do that. yah, i know,! but anyway, what do you guys do? leave them lay, or stand each boolit up?
    Sounds like a bore fit problem to me. Once I got my size right my leading issues disappeared and LLA is all I've used as a lube thus far. I started out standing them up after tumbling but that's just too much work for me. Now I just let 'em lay and that seems to work OK. I should probably run a comparison test to see if there is an accuracy difference between the 2 methods.

EDIT: just read the poll that I had somehow overlooked. Scratch the comparison test...
    Last edited by RoyRogers; 11-10-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Enlightenment
    NRA Life Memeber

Boolit Mold
    Any one use HbN for a lube? Works great in high power rifle, 22lr calibers.

Boolit Grand Master
    I did poorly in chemistry. What's HbN?

Hexagonal Boron Nitride

at least according to Google.

I used to stand mine but then started using the jpw/lla mix and they dry before I can get them stood up so I figured what's the point