Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another yard sale find !

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Digger, good find, I have a 45 just like it
    with the .358 dies. Mine had the black lube in it to. I also have a Trueline Jr. with
    38 speical dies in it. Both work just fine, except I need
    the depriming die in 38 speical for the Trueline Jr.
    Anybody know where I can find one?

It's good to see so many still use some of the older original equipment out there .
    In the future , just like everybody else when the budget allows ,...I'll pick up better equipment.
    For the moment I do appreciate what I do have.....with the old 45 , lee turret press , a smelting set up with a couple of Miha's molds (and a couple of lee's ) plus scrounging for lead like every one else , It's to much fun !

And by the way there Archer , hope you get your Trueline Jr. set up and running just the way you want...another older piece of equipment that seems to be appreciated never the less....
    digger.......

Boolit Buddy
    great find guys, i wish people had more then hippy stuff and tarot cards at their garage sales around here
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Buddy
    Digger,
    I've got the Tru Line jr. up and running,Thanks to Kywoodwrkr. (A very kind man) He sent me a depriming Die for it, and it works great.
    Now if it will just warm up a little, I've got a bag of 500 38 spl. once fired brass to deprime.
    My Brother picked them up for me for my Birthday, so I guess I've got some work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Digger,
    I've got the Tru Line jr. up and running,Thanks to Kywoodwrkr. (A very kind man) He sent me a depriming Die for it, and it works great.
    Now if it will just warm up a little, I've got a bag of 500 38 spl. once fired brass to deprime.
    My Brother picked them up for me for my Birthday, so I guess I've got some work to do.
    Excellent !! , you've done good ...
    Glad to hear somebody could help , I take it you don't have a warm place to hole up in with your machine ....
    The 38 spl will be good to work with and a lot of fun besides.
    A lot of us are taking advantage of the cold weather to play in our favorite pastime since we can't go out , some are starting to go off the deep end too ! (little to much time inside maybe?).
    To much snow !! for some.....
    But any ways you'll feel really good when you fire off your first few rounds from that machine that has a little time and history behind it.

later , digger

Thought I would resurrect this thread in tribute to the classic Lyman 45 ....it has been a blessing so far in my learning curve in this adventure we do , picked up a couple of die's... a .357 rcbs and a 358 lyman for 9 dollars apiece at a gun show a while back and just finished up a batch of Miha's 125 gr. to try out later.
    For keeping this hobby low dollar , it has been great , talk about getting my money's worth !!
    digger

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 45

Good find! Have a 45 like yours, a 450, 4500, and series 1 RCBS. The 45 is my favorite of all. The black goo you mention is the old Ideal formula, when I started casting (1961 ) that was the only one Lyman made. According to Lyman, that stuff was made of mutton tallow and lampblack.

thanks....mutton tallow and lampblack ???? ......wonder how those ingredients would go over in the lube forum .......... (by the way , what was lamp black ? )

digger

Boolit Master

I own a Lyman 45 and I switched to Lars' White Label Lubes Carnauba BAC Red (see the link at the bottom of the Forum's web pages) after I used all of my Ideal Black Junk that was in the reservoir when I got it off Ebay. Lars' Lubes works wonders for everything I shoot from pistol to rifle. Its soft enough to use in the 45 without heating and still keeps my loads from leading.

Bruce
    Last edited by bruce drake; 09-21-2010 at 11:15 PM.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Beekeeper
    It must be Komefornia,
    I drove the tires off of my truck last weekend and found nothing but junk.
    Clothes and glass.
    Not even a pewter picture frame.
    I think that is the last time I will even go on the garage sale hunt.

Jim

I started with a Lyman 45 in the late 50s and used it exclusively until about 25 years ago when I bought a 450. I now have 3 450s. I never had a heater, no felt the need to own one.

Boolit Master

What good luck!

Boolit Master
    I found a dillon low primer detector for a 1$.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I got a small pewter vase for .50 and two ladles, one small Taiwanese cast iron and one large
    stainless ladle painted and hammered to look like cast iron for a buck each. Excellent day at the
    poor man's mall.

Outstanding ! , good to hear what pop's up out there now and then .. you just never know !

I do think there is a difference between certain area's as far as what is put out there on Saturday mornings
    Last edited by Digger; 09-26-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Digger, Lampblack is the black soot that collects on my lamp chimney when I have the wick turned too high.

Beekeeper
    Digger,
    How old are you?
    Old enough to remember carbon paper?
    Lamp black is creates by burning fuel(any kind) with not enough oxygen to give it a complete burn.
    Like the black sooty marks on a pot used over a campfire.

Was used in everything from carbon paper to cosmetics for years until the tree huggers found out how it was made and then it was bad for you.
    One of the first products to go to the tree hugger ,i'm going green ,hippie run nation.

Jim

Boolit Master
    Not a yard sale find, but did stumble accross a deal, Lyman 20lb bottom pour furnace, Lyman 2 cavity 44 keith mould, rcbs 270-130 mould, rcbs 357-140 wc mould, 2 sets lyman handles, and two lyman sizer dies and top punches for 70 bucks.

Was in my local gun shop, guy getting rid of stuff, tried to sell to shop, shop doesnt deal in casting so I stepped in.

Thanks for the info on the lampblack guys... guess they used it for coloring the lube then? ...
    and by the way there Beekeeper .. just old enough to remember being able to bring a shotgun to school for show and tell in grade school.
    The ironic part is that was in southern Calif. at the time ....
    Akajun .... that was one heck of a deal !! ... talk about timing !! , those were some really nice goodies you picked up .....and really get some use , All about being in the right place , right time..
    Once in a while , we get lucky !

digger

digger
    Last edited by Digger; 10-16-2010 at 08:51 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Lampblack was originally used to color the front sight and take the shine off of it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast