MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Warranty ?

Angry Lyman Warranty ?

Just started to re set my Lyman 4500 lube sizer to check and lube some 160 gr 7mm Boolits for the pistol that is currently in the mail on it's way to me ,and on the first stroke the lower handle link snapped off , I have owned the sizer for a couple of years and have been happy with it up till now ! Has anybody here had any luck with Lyman Products warranty on a product that upon examination showed an obvious casting flaw ? Heres hoping !!!

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    A few years ago I had a Lyman 450 given to me that leaked like a sieve. I sent it to Lyman with a note to repair as needed and bill me. In about two weeks they sent me a brand new 450. Going back about 40 years I reported that my electric furnace needed a thermostat; they sent it within a week, no charge. Those are the only two casualties to Lyman equipment that I ever had. Recently I have ordered small tools over the phone and been treated efficiently and courteously every time.
    Last edited by NVcurmudgeon; 11-08-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Left something out
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Buddy

Mixed results...

Lyman's QC and customer service have been very mixed lately. One might as well attend a crapshoot. Some have horrible experiences, while others still report good results.

About the only thing you can do is contact them and report your experience back to us.

Good luck!

Boolit Grand Master

When the handle link on my 450 broke, they very politely charged $17. for an upgrade (??), plus S&H.
    As soon as it was fixed, I sold it in favor of an RCBS.
    I've never been charged a cent for repair parts for anything by RCBS, regardless of what or why I needed it.

Lyman is ok but I have had much better results dealing with RCBS. They treated me so well that I only buy RCBS stuff now unless its something they don't handle.

I'll not deal with Lyman again. If I need something fixed I'll fix it myself or sell it on ebay as parts and buy another brand equivalant to replace it.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman left me out in the cold some years back when I broke a T-Mag press that I bought new and had owned less than two years. In fairness I must say they did ship me one primer arm free of charge. I broke the post on top that the turret rotates on so I ordered a new post for my T-Mag press. After repeately shipping me a post that would not fit my press they informed me they did not stock the part I needed. it seems they had added a turret support in the rear of their new T-Mag press design and changed the threaded portion of the post to a larger diameter.

They told me I could go to a machinist and have a new post machined........at my expense. I did that........and it broke again.

They did tell me I could return my press to them at my expense and they would decide if they wanted to do anything. I bought the press new in a Lyman kit. It may have been in stock for awhile before I purchased it.

If a company has product design problems then customer service should necessarily be excellant.

Lyman has since redesigned the T-Mag press yet again. I no longer buy Lyman products.......Mike

Lyman lost my interest when I called them about obvious wobble in the new version model 66 receiver sights (the aluminum kind). The lady on the other end said that it was designed to have a bit of play. Built-in play in a receiver sight? They must really expect for us to have shotgun patterns instead of rifle groups! I wonder whatever happened to quality and product knowledge at Lyman?

Boolit Master

I have unfortunately had a number of occasions to test Lyman's warrenty. Their products have a two year warranty. Based on my experience, if the press is more than two years old you are out of luck, most likely, and will have to pay for a new part. If it is less than two years old, you will most likely have to ship the faulty part in at your expense, and more than likely they will ship you a new one free of charge. Turn around time on my last item was about a month.

Lyman warranty? What warranty?
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

lyman

you do know lyman has changed hands.like many of this modern age they only gaurentee goods made under their ownership.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master
    No wonder my favorite color is green...

Thumbs up

Guess I should buy a lottery ticket ! After a short call to Lyman this morning ( not expecting too much ) the lady on the phone listened to the problem that I had encountered and without so much as a question told me that she would package one up and send it out " rush " to make it even better I almost beleive that they may have seen this particular failure before . When I enquiered about possibly having a spare on hand , she promptly said she would send two at no charge . Mind you nothing has shown up in my mailbox so what they say and do may be quite different , but heres hoppin ! Will keep anybody interested with how this pans out posted !!!

Boolit Master
    I have had great service from Lyman, often beyond their warranty(2 years) items outside of the waranty period are treated fairly. RCBS has also provides continuous top shelf treatment of their customers. Green might cost more, but they really do back their products up!! Both provide a good product and service in my opinion.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Smile

As a follow up , the warranty (part) not parts showed up in the mail today . Back to sizin/lubin , good thing my new to me wichitaw 7/08 also arrived with the mailman . Time to get busy makin Boolits .

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of thier Pro Mag case tumblers. After about 18 months the motor went out on it. I called Lyman and the lady I spoke to on the phone advised me to call Midway and see if they would replace it and if not to give her a call back and she would take care of it. Of course Midway said that I had it too long for them to replace the tumbler. I called Lyman back and spoke to the same lady and she had me send the tumbler in minus the bowl and they would either fix or replace the unit. About a week to a week and a half I got a box from Lyman with a NEW bottom end. Since I have bought another Pro Mag tumbler and have been very satisfied. I was cleaning a lot of brass at the time and the tumblers were running constantly for days at a time. I came into a 55 gallon drum of brass and tumbled every piece until it looked as shiny as new brass.

Jody

Boolit Master

You people are just Lyman haters starting this thread like this <BIG GRIN>.........It took me over a month and three phone calls to get them to ship parts for my 450 which had broken the second #22 (bottom link) link in ten years. Thank God this time I bought three extras. They also sold me the "upgrade kit" for an extra $20 that had HEY! ..........a new handle with a ball on the end instead of the old handlebar grip.

On a brighter note I got a new Lyman .38/.357 mold in the mail for Christmas (Hey it didn't say don't open till Christmas.....) and as opposed to the luck other people have had here it drops .360 real good and is actually round.

Personally I think corporate greed has taken over as it always does, I've seen it in person, first place to get slashed is customer service. That's why companies like Lee and Dillon are going to be around *hopefully* a long, long time. If Lee or Dillon has what I need I buy it from them first.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    When the handle link on my 450 broke, they very politely charged $17. for an upgrade (??), plus S&H.
    Same here.....

Boolit Master
    Don't know the story on all these broken handles but a LOT of people have broken the handles on Lyman lubrasizers by using stiff/hard lubes without a lube warmer/heater.

Lyman tools don't cost as much as RCBS so user damaged parts occuring years later have traditionally been at the users expense. Maybe that's as it should be? I mean, if you aren't ham fisted and don't break your tools should you pay extra so I can get "free" replacments for what I break? That's all RCBS does...
    Last edited by 1hole; 12-26-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Don't know the story on all these broken handles but a LOT of people have broken the handles on Lyman lubrasizers by using stiff/hard lubes without a lube warmer/heater.

Lyman tools don't cost as much as RCBS so user damaged parts occuring years later have traditionally been at the users expense. Maybe that's as it should be? I mean, if you aren't ham fisted and don't break your tools should you pay extra so I can get "free" replacments for what I break? That's all RCBS does...
    In my case I know that to be the truth (I broke it out of stupidity....) but it took Lyman three phone calls and ONE MONTH to ship me the replacements. They could not figure out between three customer service reps why the parts hadn't shipped. It was a big game of pass the buck -- and hey I like and still buy Lyman product although if I can get the same thing from Lee, Dillon, or RCBS I'm probably going to do it. It's not the customer service reps fault, they have zero training on what they are talking about and have never sized a bullet in their lives.

Customer service is always the first place the corporate bean counters want to cut, I've seen it happen. You have a customer service dept with well trained, field tested people who are making good money and keeping customer satifaction at an all time high. Upper management can't stand that the customer service dept. beats their precious sales division on client surveys year after year. What to do? Ans: Fire all the experienced people and hire straight out of college grads at half their wages that know nothing and don't care because they haven't built the business. Sales is now #1 in customer satisfaction. Seen it happen, couldn't believe it nor keep my mouth shut because I got fired too............basically.........................

OK rant over.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast