Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: I have a problem with seating dies

Boolit Master

I have a problem with seating dies

got a redding seating die and it so tight that I can
    not seat the bullet without removing the bell that I have done with the expander die
    on top of that even if I seat the bullet on a different operation I can not do a crimp because if I seat a .460 bullet the diameter of the bullet plus casing is .484 and the 450 marlin specs are .480 and the seater die act like a taper crimp die
    and I can not reach the crimp position
    I would like to know what my option are
    return them but they are ok for jacket bullet so redding will say you know what....
    his there someone who can open this seating die a few thousands.... help....
    canuck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck4570 View Post
    got a redding seating die and it so tight that I can
    not seat the bullet without removing the bell that I have done with the expander die
    on top of that even if I seat the bullet on a different operation I can not do a crimp because if I seat a .460 bullet the diameter of the bullet plus casing is .484 and the 450 marlin specs are .480 and the seater die act like a taper crimp die
    and I can not reach the crimp position
    I would like to know what my option are
    return them but they are ok for jacket bullet so redding will say you know what....
    his there someone who can open this seating die a few thousands.... help....
    canuck
    first have you determined that 460 is the CORRECT BOOLIT DIA FOR YOUR GUN ?

cause what i know is that the correct generic dia is the same as 45 aCP....0.451/452......

( 460 is a NAME...not a CALIBER)

????
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master

tight seating dies

this die is for my 450 marlin
    like I said the die is so tight that it closes the bell that I make with my expending die
    so I shave the bullet
    it is so tight that it serve has a taper crimp die preventing moving on to the crimp option
    and I have a hard time getting the cartridge out if I crimp because it sqweeze the entire bullets
    the only way out of this is to find someone to open up the die
    I have ask this on cast bullet

stephen perry

Buy a set of RCBS Dies for your .450 Marlin

I've always found RCBS dies to have a little more room ro work with, they only size the web section of most brass and provide more space in their seating dies. I use either RCBS or CH to seat my Cast.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Boolit Master
    this die is for my 450 marlin
    like I said the die is so tight that it closes the bell that I make with my expending die
    so I shave the bullet
    it is so tight that it serve has a taper crimp die preventing moving on to the crimp option
    and I have a hard time getting the cartridge out if I crimp because it sqweeze the entire bullets
    the only way out of this is to find someone to open up the die
    I have ask this on cast bullet
    yep i messed up thos two numbers...my bad

so call the die maker and ask for thier specs....
    with a 457/8 bullet you would not have an issue ??...but going an extra 2 thou...is tight city.

so while lots of dies are case boolit tollerant...maybe thee are not.

again is 460 correct for your bbl ?....

call the maker and ask why a 484 is jamming ?

what happends with 459 ? 458 ?( too small ?....)
    factory ammo fit in your die ??

mike in co

Boolit Master

tight seating dies

yes even with jacketed bullet they are tight but I am able to crimp a bit but you see skuff marks on the case and its hard to get the cartridge out
    tried with .459 cast bullet and you see a big difference impossible to crimp and harder to get the cartridge out.....

Boolit Master

Redding dies are one of the best [for jacketed bullets] because their tolerances are very close. I would get a Hornady seater for the cast boolits and keep the Redding for jacketed.

I could open it up for you but shipping two ways would pay for a Hornady die.

Larry

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    Redding dies are one of the best [for jacketed bullets] because their tolerances are very close. I would get a Hornady seater for the cast boolits and keep the Redding for jacketed.

I could open it up for you but shipping two ways would pay for a Hornady die.

Larry
    could you opened them up to .500 and could I still be able to crimp
    yes I have 3 of them I don't like adjusting dies for the press at home and the one at the range

Boolit Master
    if they are marking the case with jacketed bullets, i'd call and ask the maker about correction/replacement.

mike in co

Boolit Master

canuck 4570, Actually you can open this die up yourself. All you need is a
    piece of dowel [a wooden pencil will work], some fine emory and an electric drill. Cut a slot in the end of the dowel with a hacksaw about 1 in. long, put a piece of emory about 3 in. long in the slot and wrap it around the dowel. With the dowel in the electric drill insert the emory into the die and run the drill for a minute or less. Check your die and repeat if needed until the die is the size you need. A little light oil or water on the emory helps. Go slow and check often.

Your die will still crimp UNLESS you open too much.

Larry

Boolit Master

problem

the redding set of die for the 450 marlin are exchange for a set of RCBS and a extra seating die which my son will bore it to .500 for the length
    of he shell
    this die will be used only to seat bullet, permitting me to put the bell that I want on the case whithout it being pull back during seating

the other one will be for crimping
    thank you all for the numerous input on my problem...

Boolit Grand Master

Hornady dies use a floating sleeve which is a tight fit on the bullet to align it
    accurately on the case centerline. This sort of die is also offered by Redding and
    Forster as a 'benchrest seater die' and they cost a bunch extra.

I use and love these dies for jacketed, but have yet to try them with cast. I would
    expect there to likely be issues of fit, esp since I bell the case noticably for cast,
    but not at all for jacketed. This belling is likely to jam on the very tight alignment
    sleeve, I presume. I use regular dies for cast, without the alignment sleeve.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

sleeve die

good but they don't make them bigger than 338 I think......

Boolit Master

good but they don't make them bigger than 338 I think......
    I have one for 45-70

Larry

Boolit Master

hornady sleeve die

I stand corrected
    tell me how it goes when seating GC bullet?
    I had one in 30-06 and the cast bullet stuck in the sleeve, they where realy made for .308 bullets

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Hornady dies use a floating sleeve which is a tight fit on the bullet to align it
    accurately on the case centerline. This sort of die is also offered by Redding and
    Forster as a 'benchrest seater die' and they cost a bunch extra.

I use and love these dies for jacketed, but have yet to try them with cast. I would
    expect there to likely be issues of fit, esp since I bell the case noticably for cast,
    but not at all for jacketed. This belling is likely to jam on the very tight alignment
    sleeve, I presume. I use regular dies for cast, without the alignment sleeve.

Bill

I like the Hornady seaters so well that I have made a complete set for all of my cast boolits. The die body is universal, the sleeve and stem change for caliber. I made my sleeves and stems to fit the largest Dia. cast boolit for each caliber.

I DO NOT bell any bottle neck cases. Case necks are deburred inside with a VLD deburr tool. The close fit of my seating dies allows the boolit to seat without shaving lead. Each boolit/mold does have it's own seating stem made to conform to the boolit nose.

Larry

Boolit Mold
    i agree ihave a 45 70 sized in 460 and no problem with it i have r c b s dies works very well i any problem call r c b s tech line heavyshot.

Boolit Master
    I stand corrected
    tell me how it goes when seating GC bullet?
    I had one in 30-06 and the cast bullet stuck in the sleeve, they where realy made for .308 bullets
    My Hornady 45-70 dies have worked just fine for cast bullets (up to 500 g.) as well as jacketed
    NRA Endowment Life Member