WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: "New" 03A4 sniper rifle

Boolit Buddy

"New" 03A4 sniper rifle

A couple of days ago one of the new Gibbs Rifle Co. (Navy Arms) Model 1903A4 sniper rifles arrived, and its a darn nice reproduction. Actions are original O3A3s with new stocks, barrels, scope but I think the stock furniture is also original U.S. military surplus.

According to what I know so far the scopes are made in China and this one is at least as good as my original Weaver 330C and far more clear. Power is 2.5X.

Barrel is supposedly made by Pedersoli in Italy and so far is shooting pretty good. I've put about 200 rounds of jacketed factory loads and handloads through it and with some its a 1 1/2 MOA rifle. And every day that I've shot it winds have been 20 mph and up. So I haven't worried too much about shooting great groups. All have been more or less round in shape, which is good because it indicates the bedding is ok. I purposely got it very hot and its point of impact or group shape didn't change. When I get a calm day I'll try some cast loads.

I'll post some photos of it when I get my wife to make them. I think I'm going to have to buy this one. (No gunwriters don't always get everything free!) It definitely shoots better than my original 03A4.

MLV

congrats can't wait to see the pics.

Boolit Grand Master

Mike,

Thanks for the info. My 03s and 03A3s run about 1.5 MOA with good handloads and
    the stock sights. I have to use the flip up peep on the 03s to get top accy. I often
    manage 4 into under 1", and one opening it up to 1.5" or so. Probably the jerk
    behind the trigger -- or his eyes.

Sounds like they have put together a good solid rifle that will be easier for us older
    shooters to hit with.

Now the killer question. What does one have to pay for one of these repros?

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Mike, good report. Nothing wrong at all with an A4. In fact, 'they' got it right 65 years ago. With optics upgrade for technology advances, it's still right. OR, a 2.5 like original.

My favorite load in my buddy's A4 is the 168 BTHP over 50.0/surp7383. It's only 2400 fps, but it is very accurate.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    Mtgun44: I don't have the exact retail price before me but I'm pretty sure its between $975 & $999.

MLV

Boolit Master
    I'd like to try one out too but will be happy with what I have. Mine will shoot1-1.5" groups at 100 with GOOD handloads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2221.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Found this a local gun shop. Don't know why the top pic didn't come out right,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2219.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    mto7464: That one looks pretty good. Got any full length photos? I've got an original 03A4 also but it doesn't shoot as good as this repro.

MLV

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Venturino View Post
    mto7464: That one looks pretty good. Got any full length photos? I've got an original 03A4 also but it doesn't shoot as good as this repro.

MLV
    I'll look tonight when I get home

Boolit Master
    No I don't have any on hand but here is a couple more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2222.jpg   IMG_2227.jpg   IMG_2228.jpg  

Boolit Master
    few more far right one you can still see the RA and the boxed FLA under the benica arsenal stampe. The crossed cannon is there too but hard to see in the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2225.jpg   IMG_2226.jpg   IMG_2223.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    mto7464: Good looking 03A4. Do you shoot it?

MLV

In Remembrance

Mike. Were you using standard ball loads for WW 2? Otherwise, "SWEET"!!Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Robert: I tried some military M2 ball in the Gibbs. Its headstamped LC69 but the best it has ever done in any of my rifles is about 4" at 100. It did that with the Gibbs too. I shot the Gibbs some more this afternoon in more 25-30 mph winds and got a couple of two inch groups at 100. The more I shoot this rifle the more I like it.

Boolit Grand Master

Mike,

Thanks for the price info. Kinda what I expected, a bit more than I can justify right
    now. Springfields are neat old rifles, and now at least a good replica of the sniper
    version is available for a fraction of what an original would cost, if you could even
    find one.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I didn't know Gibbs was back in business.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Venturino View Post
    mto7464: Good looking 03A4. Do you shoot it?

MLV
    Not too often but it is not a safe queen. Using 4064 and 168 SMK's it does quite nice. Not so with the CMP greek ammo. Haven't tried some of my SL55 ammo but it shoots great in my Garands.