Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: S&W 44mag?

Boolit Master

S&W 44mag?

I just recently noticed just how many different 44mags S&W makes. To list a few there is the 29, 629, and 629 Classic. Are these all essentially the same gun or are there major differences. Which models are more desirable, and why? Oh, and when I say “differences” I am asking about internals, strength, and accuracy, not barrel length, finish, and sights.

Thanks.
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 11-08-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    There have been several design changes in the N frame over the years. Current production guns are all the same internally it's outside that looks different.

Now if your talking old 29's versus the new production runs than yes the new ones are stronger and better designed the BS locking system not withstanding.

I have an 8 3/8's Nickled M29 I bought in the 70's. Pinned Barrel reccessed chambers. However if I load it to hot the cylinder will actually unlock and turn backwards when I fire it!

This was a big problem with early production guns and S&W redesigned the action some time in the early 80's to cure the problem.

My BIL got a 6 inch hunter in the mid 80's and I have never been able to get it to unlock with reasonable loads.

Keep in mind that, at one time, only two 44 mags were on the market the 29 and the super blackhawk. The black hawk has always been the stronger gun.

These days a bunch of 44 mags are on the market. From the Contender to the super redhawk there must be 7 or 8 44 mags on the market right now.

Sadly the M29 is, in my opinion, regulated to a "light duty" 44 mag. if that makes any sense.

If I was going to go buy a 44 magnum this afternoon it would boil down to two choices: What ever Thompson Center is calling the current version of the Contender or a Ruger Bisley in 7 1/2 inch barrel.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Back in the 70s I bought 2 44 mags - a Super Blackhawk and a M29 in 8 3/8" barrel. Shot the **** out of the Blackhawk (still the best 44 in my mind) and the M29 is still in it's presentation case unfired. Picked up the new Blackhawks and the actions are no where close to as smooth as mine. Probably all that safety stuff in there clogging up the works.

Boolit Master
    Okay so there is a difference strength wise between an old S&W 44mag and a new S&W 44mag, but when it comes to the current productions is there any real difference?

Obviously a S&W can not compare strength wise to Ruger, however I will only ever be using listed load data, so do I ever have to worry about wearing out a S&W if I stick with listed loads?

Boolit Master
    All the new smiths are made the same internally. So it doesn't matter which one you buy.

As to wearing one out? Define wearing out? Can you shoot it until it comes loose and needs a tune up? Yes sir! Can you wear a barrel out with 10,000 rounds of cast? I doubt it!

The classic hunter is a prime example of what I'd buy if I wanted a smith: full length under lug and non fluted barrel 6 inch long. Put a set of Pachmayers on it and hi yo sliver!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Okay so there is a difference strength wise between an old S&W 44mag and a new S&W 44mag, but when it comes to the current productions is there any real difference?

Obviously a S&W can not compare strength wise to Ruger, however I will only ever be using listed load data, so do I ever have to worry about wearing out a S&W if I stick with listed loads?
    While the Ruger may be stronger either one can be shot to the point where it will need to go back to a smith to be retimed or for other work. Probably owned more Rugers than S&W's in my life and have sold off all the Rugers and now just have
    629's. Strength is a mute point in this day and age. Overall my hands prefer the fit of the S&W's and there more refined action work. Few people fire full throttle rounds day in and day out. While I like the power and the accuracy of the .44 mag rarely carry it hunting anymore. For hunting I pull out one of my S&W 500's out of the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    While the Ruger may be stronger either one can be shot to the point where it will need to go back to a smith to be retimed or for other work. Probably owned more Rugers than S&W's in my life and have sold off all the Rugers and now just have
    629's. Strength is a mute point in this day and age. Overall my hands prefer the fit of the S&W's and there more refined action work. Few people fire full throttle rounds day in and day out. While I like the power and the accuracy of the .44 mag rarely carry it hunting anymore. For hunting I pull out one of my S&W 500's out of the safe.
    Yep..... I'm with snowwolfe on this one.

I've owned and shot 29's for 35+ years. Still have the original 8 3/8" 29 I've taken lots of game with through the years. It's a "pinned and recessed" late 60's gun that's had thousands of moderate loads fired through it without a single problem. I have a new 6 1/2" 29 I purchased at the same time as a back-up.... It remains new and unfired in the original box.

I recently bought a new 629 "Classic" with a 5" barrel. 5 inch barrels are my favorite length. I'm extremely pleased with the feel and balance of this new S&W offering and would highly recommend that anyone looking for a new 44 give some consideration to it. As is the case with this pistol, there is nothing available in double actions that compares to the smoothness and good looks of a S&W, IMHO.....

There is no argument from me that Ruger's Blackhawks and Redhawks are stronger and they will outlast a 29 (or 629) if they both digest extremely hot loads continually. But who really cares and who needs that kind of punishment. I have a 6 1/2" S&W 500 for that kind of extremely "heavy duty" use and none of the Ruger's can compare to that for strength or hunting power..(the 500 and my 629 Classic are pictured in my avatar picture).

I don't want to sound like I'm maligning Ruger. They are very fine and very strong pistols. I think a person must consider other issues than the marginal difference in actual strength between the two mfg's when deciding on a purchase...

JMHO
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys that clears things up.