Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baikal double 45/70 Finally!!!

Boolit Buddy

Baikal double 45/70 Finally!!!

Just went on the website of the local (60 mi.) gunshop. They've got 9 listed with 1 sold. I've found info on other sites that refer to jacketed bullets but none of these guys have tried cast. Seems this gun should be cast only. Anyone here tried cast in one yet? I know the triggers are a *** but what can I expect in a double @ .15 on the dollar. If nobody's tried one yet, I may have to be the guinea pig. I think it'd be the perfect pig and bear gun. Ron.D

I think or they used to make slip in liners to make the shotgun into a single rifle or a double rifle. So you are saying they now make one just in the Rifle Chambering?
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Buddy
    Jester. Yes this is a double SXS rifle. Do a "Google" on "Baikal MP-221 Artemida". It only weighs 7lbs. so it's going to be handy and kick a little, but with trapdoor loads, not too bad. Ron.D
    Last edited by Ron.D; 11-08-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Ron,

I would love to hear your report on how your new double rifle shoots! I have at times imagined myself owning a fine old SXS double rifle from a well-known maker, but the price they command just laughs at my bank account! I am interested to know how well the barrels are regulated (do they both shoot to the same spot). That is one of the things that makes double guns pricey, so I hear, because it takes a bit of hand tuning to get both barrels to shoot to the same point of aim.

Boolit Buddy
    1874. I don't own one and haven't yet decided to buy one. I'd love to hear more from someone who might own one, before I try one, if possible. I don't expect it to be a thing of beauty, but from the little I have learned, they may at least be serviceable. One of the barrels is fixed and the other has an adjustment screw to regulate it with. Hoping a proud owner will chime in here. Ron.D

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Down in Peru Baikal rifles & shotguns & pistols have been imported for a long time. They are rugged, accurate and easy on the finances. They lack the fine polished blueing of maybe a S&W or Winchester but after 5+ years being hauled about the mountains wrapped in a wool cloth tied to a llamas side guess what any rifle looks like. Raw bare metal. But they both will shoot the same & you can buy 2 Baikals for the price of the U.S. import.
    Me I would like to lay my hands on one. A double 45-70 would look just fine next to my Fox double 12 Bore Round Ball gun.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I took the drive and bought the second last one of 9. WOW in stock for 3 days and 1 left. Looks OK. The walnut stock is better looking than expected, actually has a small amount of figuring to it. Weighs in @ 6lbs 13 ozs. With base, rings and my M8 3X Leupold and 2 in the chamber it should come in at about 8 lbs. I work 2000 mi. from home and am headed back in a week, so I'd better get busy casting and reloading, mounting scope etc. Ron.D
    Last edited by Ron.D; 11-09-2009 at 09:02 AM.

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    Hey Ron, let us know how it shoots. I had a Baikal 12gauge over a 6.5x55 combo that shot pretty well. Was allmost 10 pounds and didn't shoot slugs well so down the road it went. I've seen a 30-06 sxs Baikal that looked ok but the 45-70 it what i'm interested in...

Boolit Master
    I bought one in 06 and posted some comments about it here. Under 1 inch groups at 50 yards from both barrels. The only thing that bothers me about the 45-70 is having to use trapdoor load specs while the 06's can be loaded up to today standards.
    Curious though, how much was your dealer selling them for?
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 11-08-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The cost was $1200 Canadian or about $1100 US. Not exactly a bargain, but when you wait 4 yrs. for the product, an extra couple hundred loses its importance. Trapdoor limitations don't really bother me as this'll be used primarily for black bear at under 100 yds. The fact that 30-06 loads can be used in this action means to me that trapdoor loads are more than safe. 350 grs. @ 1700 is all I need but I wouldn't be afraid to open it up a little more if tempted. Ron.D

Boolit Master
    Not to bad of a price considering they are pretty much sold out. I am sure you noticed the low comb on the stock making the stock iron sights impossible to use. These scope mounts work fantastic:
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leaper...m_Dovetail/636.

I just bought some 220 partitions and once I work up a load for them mine is going off for a trigger job. Plan on giving my other double a rest next year and using this for deer and moose.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 11-09-2009 at 02:52 AM.

I played with one of their SxS 12 Ga. once. You just about needed a crow bar to get the action locking lever to move. It had a ton of spring pressure on it. I thought about going to a weaker spring until I looked at the lock up on it. It was a wedge type that relied on the spring pressure to hold it closed. I was not going to loosen that spring up, not even one ounce. Also, the one day that I took it deer hunting was a bit rainy. The wood on that gun bled yellow color from the stock all over my hunting jacket. The two barrels shot to very different points of aim too. I was not at all impressed with that gun. It was a cheap gun for a good reason.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Smile

I've seen mention of these being available in 7.62x54R and 7.62x39, too.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    I've had mine about six months now. Put a Leupold 2-7X scope on it and went to work with cast. The drill seems to be shooting just the left barrel at 50yds until you get a load that groups under 2". Then see how it does in the right barrel. Get lucky, and both barrels like it; then the jacking mechanism comes into play. You can shim over/under the one barrel to bring the vertical close. 500gr 457125 at 1700fps is about all you can stand. The triggers will come down to the 5lb range with a bit of "romancing the (whet)stone".

Rich

Boolit Master
    I bought one in 45-70 about a year ago. Shot about twenty rounds through it, cleaned it, put it up for sale at a local gun shop where it still sits. Not a bad gun, just not what I wanted.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Ron,

I guess I was a little early on congratulating you on your procurement, but now congratulations are in order! I am interested in hearing how it shoots and what load(s) work the best. Even at trapdoor load level, that is a formidible gun!

Boolit Grand Master
    Go to accuratereloading.com , then forums, then double rifle. A few people have the guns and have reported on them. I also understand the gun is so light that heavier loads will beat the snot out of you. Oh, and the triggers are awful.

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Oh, and the triggers are awful.
    Oh Yea, I had forgotten about that one. +1 on the triggers that need a crow bar to pull them back, just like the breach lock lever.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    I bought one in 45-70 about a year ago. Shot about twenty rounds through it, cleaned it, put it up for sale at a local gun shop where it still sits. Not a bad gun, just not what I wanted.
    What are you asking for it?

Boolit Buddy
    I've read all I can find at accurate reloading double rifle forums. Most owners are at least mostly satisfied as long as their expectations are reasonable. Please consider that the roasting comes from a forum where doubles start around 6,000 and quickly go up from there. I'll never afford a Purdy nor do I need one. The trigger can be worked on and the barrels regulated. I've never heard anyone say that the gun misfired. Re: the recoil, with bases, rings and scope, it comes in just on the high side of 8 lbs. and the recoil pad can be improved with minor alteration. It's not a Purdy but it kind of floats my boat. I've got 25 rounds cast and loaded for the morning. Got my fingers crossed too. Ron.D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast