Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 45-70?

Boolit Buddy

What 45-70?

I am in the market for a new 45-70. It will be used with cast boolits only and only to punch paper. I have killed my share of deer and the woods in this part of country are a dangerous place to be in deer season. Accuracy is the most important item in choosing this rifle. I would like to tap into this boards vast expirience in making my choice.

Dave C.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Master
    I would go with one of the Sharps replicas. I also have never heard a bad word spoken of the Ruger single shots in 45-70 either. If you go with the Sharps, I'd buy the best you can afford. Some of the less expensive ones seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger #1 and Sharps replicas are good choices, but mine would be a 1895 Marlin either in standard or Guide Gun garb. Light, handy and accurate even if you are only gong to shoot paper and a multituda of boolit designs for them.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I just noticed this is in the handgun section. Might make my choices less than useful....

Boolit Buddy

4570 my choices

For black powder I would go for a Sharps or Rem. Rolling Block. For sheer power a Ruger. I have the old #3 which is a plain jane version of the #1 and discontinued about 20 yrs. ago. It is one of my hunting rifles with either lead or for the first time last year with 300 gr. JHP at 2330 fps....awesome on both ends in a light rifle. If I was a paper person only a Marlin 1895 Cowboy ( long barrel and heavy to soak up recoil) would be a neat choice too. Just my opinion.afish4570

Boolit Master
    I have a Marlin 1895 CB and really like it. Also have a Contender with the 14 in barrel and like it. Some might think the CB is too long or heavy for hunting but I wouldn't have a problem deer hunting with it. Both like my cast boolits.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a ruger #1 in 45-70 and wouldnt get it as a first choice for paper punching as it has NO throat so limits your choice of boolits pretty severely. I love the gun no doubt, but it does have that one rather large limitation.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    I just noticed this is in the handgun section. Might make my choices less than useful....

Hokay, Then an Encore!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    What kind of guns do you like? Old stuff, new stuff, lever actions? Any preferences? I like the 45=70 Gattling Gun, puts down wild pigs in a hurry.

Banned

hard to beat a guide gun for bang for the buck

An NEF - handi rifle makes a good woods gun. Short money, quick handling and plenty accurate. If you can find a gibbs conversion I'd suggest handling one.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Moderator Emeritus

what about a buffalo classic ? Handi with better wood and better sights - hard to beat for the average asking price.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Member Duke Nukem has a sharps over on swapin and sellin section here.
    Not chaep but I'd have confidence it would be a better investment that holding green backs right now. Plus you know it would look great hanging on the wall.

Put a globe front and soule rear on it and you'd be ready for BPCR shoots.

Boolit Master
    I've got a #1 and love it; but the throat issue is very real. I like shoot Ranch Dog 350's and have to trim my brass accordingly.
    Were I not going to hunt with it, I'd just have to have a sharps.

Even tho I have a 45/70 Handi Rifle for brush. I will get a Buffalo Classic some day.

Its a whole lot of shooter, without a whole lot of fancy, and is priced accordingly
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

I have a Marlin 1895 Cowboy that's a great shooter and a lot of fun but, my Browning Hi-Wall is my true love. BOOM (one thousand one, one thousand two) CLANG.

Boolit Master

I'd go for a single shot to punch paper, I have 2 Marlin 45/70's and I like them, but if I were just going to punch paper, I like my Browning B78. I actually like the B78's and the 1885 Brownings a little better than the Ruger#1's, Downside is, they don't make the B78 any more, and the Browning-Winchester Hi Walls are scarce as well., but you could get a Ruger pretty easy. JMO...
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Master
    For anyone with the short throat problem mentioned on the various guns, a throating reamer is around $50, and takes about 2 minutes to do by hand. You are only removing mere thousandths of an inch.

Boolit Mold
    I doubt anyone buys a .45-70 rifle for practical reasons. I assume that you are attracted to the history and provenance of this very special cartridge. Your choice of rifle should be something that evokes an emotional response and what suits me might not suit you. I enjoy shooting my B78 enormously. It looks good, mounts perfectly and yes the crescent butt plate works very well. Light loads are fun, just plain fun, and accuracy is sooo easy. I even get great brass life. Maybe the only downside is that you do dispense a considerable weight in lead with every shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsgate View Post
    I doubt anyone buys a .45-70 rifle for practical reasons.
    Got mine for making big {edit} holes in stuff.

Yea tho I walk through the valley of death, I fear not.

Fore I am the biggest mother in the valley
    Last edited by rugerman1; 10-30-2009 at 07:28 PM.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast