Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 Hornet, Bator mold!

I got my mold (well actually two of them, couldn't argue with the price) in the mail today. This is going to be my first attempt casting for the .223. I also got 1000 Hornady gas checks. Hopefully it will go well. My goal is to find a somewhat reduced load that will cycle my AR for plinking. I don't need super accuracy, 4 MOA at 100 yards would meet my plinking needs fine. Better would be great of course.
    "The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Landric

Honcho for NOE .38-200 Mk. I British Round Nose Group Buy

Boolit Grand Master

The bator shoots well in my 222 and 223, but poorly in 22-250, and lousy in my
    K-Hornet. Bullet is just to long for my hornet's twist, and probably same for 22-250.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...1&d=1259540469
    Here is the promised picture from shooting the Hornet with 8 Grns WC820,
    100 yards at Green Mill Sportsmans Club in Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO
    I just got over a long bout with Flu, colds and fluctuating Blood levels.
    Rifle is a laminated Handi, scoped with a Simmons 3X9.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0009.jpg  

Boolit Master

Glad this thread is still alive. I haven't been able to get back to the Bator mold. Too many guns, Too little time! I've been working with 2 big bore rifles the past couple of weeks.. Interested in some more .223 loads for this mold, as I'm thinking my Hornet ain't gonna shoot 'em.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Buddy
    was able to load and test the bator over the holiday in tc contender // tried two differnt powders unique 2.9 grns 3.1 grns and 3.2 grns best group was with the 3.1 grn load 1 inch at 25 yds /// 2400 4 grns 4.2 grns and 4.4 grns best group was about i.5 inches all shots were made using a trailer bed as a rest not too fancy but it was dropped on the range by pop and i didn't have time to get the truck too move it also why only 25 yrd shots were taken no chrony used but these are mild loads just above 22lr
    mule

Boolit Mold

I am new to the Bador bullet

Trying to get a mold for it. But I do have a couple of molds in 22 cal. One
    has been mention on this thread, but the other has not.
    It is an Ohaus # 109, which I have not been able to find anything about. The is mold is also marked 22-050-f. Which I assume to mean 22 cal. 50 grain and Flat nosed. It appears to be a gas checked bullet but I can't tell for sure. It is longer than my Lyman 225438. I intend to cast some bullets with it this week.
    I have 3 guns I'd like to try it with, as well as the Bador, if I get it. A Reed Express, convertedCZ52,:If is is indeed gas checked,. My FN57, and my 218 Bee. I would also like to use the Bador in them If I get it..
    Any help or comment would be welcomed..

Boolit Mold
    While you live, Live in clover,' CAUSE once you're dead, You;re dead all over. Be careful when reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    The 22 Bator is a great mould, very similar to Lyman's 225462 lots of bearing surface. When looking for a good load don't forget AA1680, my Handi rifle dotes on 11-12 grains with the Bator or any other bullet I want to use. My Handi-Hornet will shoot into an honest 1-1/4 with no wind @ 2480 fps. when I'm having a good day. No wind in the Texas panhandle is rare but sometimes we get lucky and things work out.

IIRC, that Ohaus 22-050-F would be their version of the Lyman 225415, the older 48/49 grain version. My Hornet (#3 Ruger, 16" twist) likes them (the 225415) ahead of 7.8 grains of SR4759 with a RP 7-1/2 primer, seated out to touch the rifling. I expect about the same from the .22 Bator, mine runs about 49 grains. Be careful, them cast .22's get addictive real quick...welcome to the fun.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    For anyone looking, the bator is in stock at midsouth, including the 6 cavity version.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

I just placed an order for the 6-cavity one. I have the two cavity, but the six should really speed things up if it stays hot enough.

Landric

Boolit Master
    I know I've posted this before. But I shoot the same rifle and boolit. 12g of Lil'Gun shoots these minute-o-squirrel at 100 yards.

BTW YES Leement that mould. I had to remove the sprue plate and use 600 wet sand on the top, and lap the cavities the machining was so crappy. Now it looks like hell but drops good boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a 22 Hornet 10" Contender barrel, still have a 21" 22 K-Hornet Contender barrel. With cast the best powder I have found is WC680, close to the same as AA680.
    Can shoot cast at up to 2,700fps with excellent accuracy.

Boolit Master
    A 223 Handy followed me home today. Please keep on posting. I need some help. Its my first CF 22. I will have to start collecting 22 stuff now.
    Kevin

Anybody tried RX7? (in hornet?)
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy
    My 12 twist Handi-Hornet's second most accurate load is 11.5 gr. RX 7 with the Lyman 225438 . The only problem is velocity or lack thereof. The little Lyman is really handicapped when our Panhandle breezes blow, and that is almost everyday LOL! The longer bullets seem to "carry up" better for praire doggin out past 100 yards. My favorite bullet is the RCBS 55 fp., with 12 grains AA 1680 seated in the lands my hit ratio goes way up. This is the most accurate load in this rifle as it shoots in a 1-1/4 to 1 groups @ 100 yds. This rifle will hit coke can size targets out to 200 yds easily.

Boolit Master
    My three favorite powders for the hornet with boolits are Re#7, 4759, and 4227.

My 6-cavity bator arrived today. I'm considering getting myself a 10" Contender barrel in .22 Hornet that is for sale locally. Anyone have any experience with the bator in the .22 Hornet Contender, specifically the pistol length ones? I actually got the mould for .223, but being able to use it in the Hornet too would be nice.

Landric

Boolit Master

Landric, you might want to check the twist in that bbl, checked my 14 inch today, it's a 1 in 12, I think the older ones are 1 in 14. And if you really want to have fun try paper patching
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12