Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Hornet, Bator mold!

Boolit Master

.22 Hornet, Bator mold!

I just got a .22 Bator mold. I've never cast any .22 caliber bullets before. WOW!
    The sprue is the same diameter as the bullet it looks like! And I'll bet you have to be fastern' Chuck Norris on a bottom pour furnace to keep from pouring lead everywhere! Is it hard to keep a mold up to casting temperature pouring two drops of lead at a time? And then there's them leetle beetie gaschecks.....!
    Anyway, I've had a CZ 527 in hornet for a couple years now, so it was bound to happen sooner or later. And then Isaw I could finally get a Bator mold, so that decided it.
    I'll be casting out of water dropped WW with a little lino in it.
    Anyone have some good loads for a Hornet they'd share? BTW, I AIN"T gonna be paper patching this one....
    Hmmm...2545 bullets per 20 lbs. alloy
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Bub
    Just got that mould myself. I presume yours is from Midsouth also?

I may try casting a few tomorrow if I get in the mood. It certainly does look like a challenge. Mine are to used in a .223 Saiga, just because I enjoy being contrary.

Boolit Master

Yes, I'd been watching for it at Midsouth, and decided that was an inexpensive way to see if I could make my CZ shoot cast. The smallest boolet I have ever cast was 180 gr. RCBS .30 cal. I've cast boolets for over 30 years, but mostly for pistol and 45/70, .358 Winchester, etc. This is going to be different, I can already tell!

Boolit Grand Master

It's not a mould that you want to lee-ment.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

In Remembrance

I have had good results in .222 and 22-250 with the Bator, but so far not so good in Hornet (Ruger 77-22). I have not experimented much yet, so I may find a combination that works in the future. The Lyman 46 gr. works well enough to preclude spending much time on the Bator.

Boolit Master
    I have the 22 Bator mold now for a couple of years. Have not worked with it alot but what little I have it looked to be OK.

Its just that my 225415HP works so good that I hate to try any thing different. The one thing I have noticed is that for me straight linotype cast a whole lot easier for the 22 boolits that any other alloy that I have tried.

I have also noticed that linotype makes a one piece varmint into 2 or 3 pieces at 2500fps...................Terry

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by softpoint View Post
    Yes, I'd been watching for it at Midsouth, and decided that was an inexpensive way to see if I could make my CZ shoot cast.
    I have a CZ 527 and was thinking about casting for it. What load are you using?

It's hard to even see the gas check step in that mold. The checks for .22s are really thin.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy
    i got he 22 bator in on friday cleaned it up good to day gonna see how it will cast tomorrow // only problem i have now is deciding which new rifle to get leaning towards the savage model 40 // all loads will be low speed for tree rats if any one has a better idea of a rifle that would work or any thing that may be bad about the savage let me know /// i'll let you all know how the casting session turns out later
    mule

Boolit Master

Chuck S1, Ihaven't developed a cast load ,yet, But I will probably use 2400 powder. I use H110 and Lil Gun for jacketed

Boolit Buddy
    well got the bator heated up and working /// cast about 300 bollits and no problems // this was the first time i have tried to cast anything this small but was surprized the mold did very well better than what has been coming from lee latley /// preheated the mold over the pot and only had 4 or 5 dicards from the lot guess this one will be a keeper now have to get me a load worked up for the contender and cause i have this need to get a new rifle to go with it
    mule

Boolit Master

My CZ likes lyman 225-438 and 4759. It seems to be allergic to lil'gun.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    I just Ordered the Bator from Midsouth cause Dale said he had good luck with it on a .222.

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie

Smile Take it from here!

Glad you asked; This afternoon I went and took my scoped Handi-Hornet out to try it with the Bator.
    7.4 Grns, no GC, AA5744 gave me a 1.5" group at 50 yards 3" below POA.
    7 Grns ,with GC, WC820 that is like #9 gave me 1" 9-ring groups at 100 yards and tiny little clusters 1.5" above POA at 50 Yards. The boolit was seated to .003 short of touching the the lands (which may vary the length to your particular Handi or other 22 Hornet) so I will not list mine; all I can say is the they looked like very long cartridges!!
    The #9 allowed me to feel confident in using this Pb boolit on prairie dogs. I shot at a PDog target and was getting head and solid body shots.
    The boolits came out to 15BHN (ww with 24" off a 95/5 roll for ~<10 pounds)
    I went to the range while resting from the flu so next time (Saturday) i will take the Chrono. This same 1"/12" rifle with 45 GRN Hornadys and 12.5 1680 is a 3/4" shooter at 100 Yards. I believe I will develop the #9 load some more as I now have 4,00 gas Checks and much alloy, not to mention the ~24 pounds of WC820.

Did not do well 5.4 grns 2400. HTH

Boolit Master
    Armex, thanks for the Hornet post. I have the same gun, a bunch of #9, and a virgin Bator mold. Your results are very encouraging. Have you tweaked your Handi or is it stock? That's some pretty good shooting, love to see pictures.

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie

One day I'll learn

I will take a camera today, hopefully my targets are still up and will learn how to post pictures.
    The hornet is stock and I have not needed to place a rubber washer like I did on the 280. It is so stock the I would like to lighten the trigger pull to see if the will improve it and other Handi's performance.

Boolit Master

I'm going to try to get to cast some Bator's today. Along with the CZ527 I have,I am going to load some in .223 and try them in my Remington 40XBR in .223. This rifle has shot .290once, and does .35 or better always if I do my part with jacketed bullets. So how good should it shoot with Bators? 1 in 14 twist.

Boolit Master

This will be one of the test vehicles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rem.40xbr 004.JPG   Rem.40xbr 002.jpg  

Boolit Master

I cast a few Bators and shot a bit today, sized .225 and checked, Felix lube. Tried Unique, RL7, and H4227 in the Hornet. CZ527 Hornet of mine will have nothing to do with 'em so far. 3-4 inches at 25 yards. With every powder, every load. Maybe they are too heavy to stabilize in the CZ. I haven't checked the twist, I will now that I see things aren't working.
    Remington 40xbr was a better story. 11grains of 5744 was the only load I had time to try today after working with the CZ. 40xbr in .223 has 1/14 twist. First group at 25yards, 5 shots, .240. Moved out to 50 yards and tried again, 5 more shots. .700. At least I know the bullet is capable!
    Time permitting, tomorrow I will try more in the 40x

Boolit Buddy
    Softpoint, I'd be real interested in what your find out. I have a 527 in .223 with the 1-12 (or is it 1-14? I forget) and I just got a 225438 mold that I'm gonna try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast