Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "MC & "AL" Wheel Weights???

"MC & "AL" Wheel Weights???

I recently came into about 20 pounds of WW from a local shop (hey, beggars can't be choosers. I'll take 20# if I can get it & be happy that I found that much these days).

I found the usual assortment of Zinc & steel weights in the mix, but I also found a large percentage of weights that were marked either MC or AL. They all seemed to have some kind of silver paint or coating on them. They seemed harder than normal clip on WW, but most were not as hard or brittle as zinc.

Has anyone else run into these before? If so, how did you handle them? Did they give you any trouble? Did they cast well? I'd like to get some feedback before I go & contaminate my casting pot.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MCALww.JPG  
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

they are just painted. they will stink when smelted, but i use them just as normal ww.

Boolit Grand Master

Jim, what I do with weights that I have doubts about is snip them with wire cutters, if they don't have a feel very close to that of known lead WW I toss'em. The last weights I came across with "AL" on them didn't "cut" anything like the lead ones and out they went. I don't know what the letters stand for and yours may be fine, I get kinda anal about what goes into my ingots.

A lot of weights are painted to match the rim color of the wheels they were on so paint doesn't mean much, cept the aroma of burning paint of course.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

The letters MC and AL stand for the "wheel type" they are made to fit on, rim lip design. The coating is to prevent oxidation of the wheel/lead or zinc interface. Never know whats in them when they are coated.

Pete

Banned

Aluminum or mag composite.
    Rim types.

Boolit Master

zinc WW are usually marked Zn or Z or nuttin at all & can`t be cut just scratched on the edges with normal side cutters & hand pressure,

stik on zinc WW are usually connected by wire instead of notches on the lead ones .

my exp only! YMMV

The painted ones are higher in tin so the paint will stik, I seperated a batch once & got purty filled out easy & shiney boolits!!!
    Last edited by GP100man; 11-06-2009 at 07:52 AM. Reason: addition & spelun
    GP100man

Boolit Master
    Thems is all lead. AL MC AC etc are shape types, nothing to do with composition.

Boolit Master

Run a smooth file over one edge; you'll find out the difference REAL fast!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    Sheepdog; Yes, that is code for rim type. But I wouldn't assume they are all lead as everyone seems to be getting away from lead and I see no reason the mfgr might not use a different alloy for those types also. Just a thought, don't wanna seem to be nit-pickin'. respectfully.....Bill
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill* View Post
    Sheepdog; Yes, that is code for rim type. But I wouldn't assume they are all lead as everyone seems to be getting away from lead and I see no reason the mfgr might not use a different alloy for those types also. Just a thought, don't wanna seem to be nit-pickin'. respectfully.....Bill
    Assume? No. Know for sure because I recognize that manufactures weights? Yes.

Those are Bada Aluma-Guard Coated ALCMCs. Bada only makes lead and steel, no zinc.

http://partners.ammcoats.com/docman/...?sParm=bemmi-t

Boolit Grand Master

Painted weights are epoxy coated, and it makes their surface harder. I have not found any painted zinc weights. I am finding a lot more zinc stick on and clip on.
    Don't be surprised to find mixed alloy weights in the near future as the switch to all non lead gets closer.
    It's a good thing you can't make WWs out of PC/BS. There sure is a lot of that around.

Boolit Master
    A friend on this board that works with Environmental/Renewables says the tree huggers will soon be up in arms about zinc weights too as zinc in other applications has set off environmental red flags. How ironic.

In Remembrance

So far all of the painted ones I have encountered have been regular ww metal and have caused no problems in casting. With all the anti-lead hype all bets are off, so I test them with cutters before tossing them into the melt.If they can be cut, in they go.

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    Sheepdog: I stand corrected (and politely/nicely,thank you) and appreciate the info
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Boolit Master
    hey those are junk don't use them. Send them to me for disposal ASAP. Dennis

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    "MC" is a manufacturer by the name of Micro and "AL" is a manufacturer by the name of American Lead. Both are usually fine. No idea about "AL-MC"

Many weights are painted causing no problem other than the smell and possible noxious smoke.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Eugene View Post
    hey those are junk don't use them. Send them to me for disposal ASAP. Dennis
    If they're such junk, do you think that they are worth the shipping charges?

Seriously though,
    Thank you all for the information. I never messed with this particular variety of WW before & I was concerned that the coating might contain zinc or some other junk that might cause trouble.

Thanks again for all the responses,
    Jim

“an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

This gives a lot of info about wheel weights but still not everything I would want to know for melting them, just ran across this while looking up info on what wheel weights to buy new to do my own tire balancing, is it weird that most of the top 10 search results lead to bullet casting websites, LOL.
    https://www.lawsonproducts.com/pdfs/...Weights_PI.pdf
    +1 on PIF's

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baryngyl View Post
    This gives a lot of info about wheel weights but still not everything I would want to know for melting them, just ran across this while looking up info on what wheel weights to buy new to do my own tire balancing, is it weird that most of the top 10 search results lead to bullet casting websites, LOL.
    https://www.lawsonproducts.com/pdfs/...Weights_PI.pdf
    BNE, a member here has access to an XFR tester and has posted a series of test that have been made into stickies. I'm was amazed and quite pleased to see how consistent the alloy is. His post are well worth the time to read and he is a great guy too!

Boolit Buddy
    One thing for certain, keep your heat just above the lead melting point and the zinc will float on the molten lead and not screw up the melt. It works!

I wonder where I learned that? Oh yeah. Right here on cast boolits.
    Fifty years a lawyer and you still look down your nose at your fellow citizens who study and know law better than you. Every
    citizen is an attorney.