Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: stock filler

Boolit Master

stock filler

i have a factory center grip xp 100 stock that i am cutting down to fit a bigger barrel. i have it cut and now want to fill it in to barrel shape and also make the forend a little wider. will auto bondo work for this?

I don't think bondo has the strength for what you're looking for. It's a light weight filler meant to be applied in thin layers and would be far too brittle for your application.

The auto body fiberglass putty, (dark green) may work. I'm not real clear on what you're doing though, sounds like you're changing the outer contour of the stock? If so, the fiberglass filler would work, (it's a good bit thicker than bondo and will stand up to punishment and the elements a lot better).

For bedding, I like the Accuraglass gel my self from Brownells, although other brands work well also.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would use Acragel. Bondo will not stand up. I used Bondo to alter stock patterns before cutting them on the profiler, and the Bondo would flake and crack off after a few uses. It would not stand up to any real use, let alone recoil.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

stephen perry

I would use JB in the barrel channel or do a full bed with Brownells acra glass. You might consider losing a laminated or plain wood for the forend widening.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR