Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "E" Clips for MiHec Cramer Style moulds

Boolit Grand Master

"E" Clips for MiHec Cramer Style moulds

MiHec's Cramer style moulds are absolutely WONDERFUL! I have the .45 ACP 200 gr H.P. and the H&G #503 .44 caliber Hollow Point moulds and am extremely happy with them and the production possible with them. Shortly, MiHec will start work on the RCBS 45-270-SAA hollow point moulds.

However, the "E" clips that retain the hollow point pins are small and easily lost. I have a couple of extras but wondered where I could find replacements if I lost mine.

Fastenal, an industrial supply shop (both mail order and local for me) DOES carry them. My local store didn't have them in stock but had them sent in from another of their stores (they easily checked by computer to find them). A dozen of them cost $.48 (that's right, forty eight cents). You may be asked to pay for shipping to your store or you can order them direct:

The size required is 3.2 mm. The cost is .04 each. The part no. is 0423301.

NOTE: When we first looked them up it appeared that they were only available in a kit with all sizes at a lofty $34.00. Not so, I looked further in the catalog and found them individually.

I tried a number of auto part stores and hardware stores including Lowes and Home Depot. Fastenal is the only source I found. Well, I have my supply and you can do the same. I would suggest you get them before you need them (Duh-h-h)

Dale53

Dale, thanks for the info. I will get some to have around. I know I will need them.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    So far I haven't found the need to use them, the pins in my molds will not fall out.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master

I have found a small round magnet helpful. I set it on the mould under the clip when I change the pins. The clip pops off and onto the magnet which holds it. After I have all 4 off I change pins and know exactly where my clips are.

I also do this over a piece of paper just in case but so far no lost clips from the magnet.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info. I have a store in my town as well and will call them on Monday.

Boolit Bub
    3.2 mm is a standard 1/8" e-clip Bob

Boolit Master
    3.2 is 0.1259
    3.1 is 0.122

sounds like a 1/8 would work, but might be loose.

anyone measure them ??

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    MiHec's Cramer style moulds are absolutely WONDERFUL! I have the .45 ACP 200 gr H.P. and the H&G #503 .44 caliber Hollow Point moulds and am extremely happy with them and the production possible with them. Shortly, MiHec will start work on the RCBS 45-270-SAA hollow point moulds.

However, the "E" clips that retain the hollow point pins are small and easily lost. I have a couple of extras but wondered where I could find replacements if I lost mine.

Fastenal, an industrial supply shop (both mail order and local for me) DOES carry them. My local store didn't have them in stock but had them sent in from another of their stores (they easily checked by computer to find them). A dozen of them cost $.48 (that's right, forty eight cents). You may be asked to pay for shipping to your store or you can order them direct:

The size required is 3.2 mm. The cost is .04 each. The part no. is 0423301.

NOTE: When we first looked them up it appeared that they were only available in a kit with all sizes at a lofty $34.00. Not so, I looked further in the catalog and found them individually.

I tried a number of auto part stores and hardware stores including Lowes and Home Depot. Fastenal is the only source I found. Well, I have my supply and you can do the same. I would suggest you get them before you need them (Duh-h-h)

Dale53
    Thanks for this info. I ran my mould for about 5 hours yesterday and three out of the
    four rings went belly up (don't ask! ) Anyway I called my local Fastenal to see
    about replacements and they had none local but they did order me a bag of 100. It
    was said to me that was the min quantity I could get on an order. At the rate I seem
    to be going through them I should be good to go for a couple of weeks!

Boolit Master

I have only used one on each pin . . . less work to change the pins out, OH Yeah, I'm lazy too! Besides that gives me more spares to put someplace safe that I'll never remeber where they are!
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Vendor Sponsor

I send a box of e-clips to LeadandBrass.com (Zbench).

He should have them in few days. The reason is that if I send e-clips to individuals I must write declaration (customs) for each one. So I talked to Zbench and he agree to have them on his web page. I think this is the easiest way.
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Banned

1/8 inch dont work well Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    3.2 is 0.1259
    3.1 is 0.122

sounds like a 1/8 would work, but might be loose.

anyone measure them ??

mike in co

Boolit Buddy
    Home Depot, Lowe's, and about any well equippted auto parts store have "E" clips. The "E"
    clips came off my moulds very easialy and became lost, I found replacements at Home Depot and they came off and became lost. I do not put the retainer clips on the pins any more and they just stay in the mould blocks. I would not worry to much about them if I were you. The clips look good on the posts but they are not needed!

What about using one of these steel retaining clips?

I have to look and see if they carry them that small, I will find out tommorow.

Jeff / Slingshot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
    What about using one of these steel retaining clips?

I have to look and see if they carry them that small, I will find out tommorow.

Jeff / Slingshot
    i dont think those r designed to b removed
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    i dont think those r designed to b removed
    Do not use it.

Read my post above. Your problems will be over as soon as Zbench gets the e-clips (aprox 3000 pcs of them)
    www.mp-molds.com

Checked Today, did not show on his web site....
    Alan (Doc -)
    IYAAYAS

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by askimball View Post
    Checked Today, did not show on his web site....
    Send me a PM
    www.mp-molds.com

Boolit Master

I just ordered some from Fastenal. $6 for the bag of 100. $9 shipping and tax.

E-clips

They don't take PayPal.....That's all I use.......
    Alan (Doc -)
    IYAAYAS

In Remembrance

Miha has always sent extras with the molds. And, I have so many of his molds that I have dozens of spare clips.

I find that the heat of a hot mold seems to take the temper out of the clips, and they bend easily, falling off. Not sure why that is. Like others have reported, as long as there are at least one clip per pin set, they should run fine.

I don't advise any drilling of the pins/spring clips through the holes, or anything of that sort. I like being able to change pins, and don't want anything to damage the integrity of the mold or pins.

The Fastenal source is cheap enough for a lifetime of need.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast