RotoMetals2Load DataPBcastcoWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 mag 180gr loads

Boolit Buddy

.357 mag 180gr loads

I have a Uberti Baby Rollingblock .357 mag rifle and will be shooting these 180gr bullets. http://www.castperformance.com/Detail.bok?no=5

I'm looking to develop a heavy hunting load.
    Which powder would you suggest and what velocity can I expect with these heavy bullets coming out of a 22" barrel?

Boolit Grand Master

These are 50 yard results from my 1894C with an aperture rear using Crabo's 180 grain RNFP design. I get very similar results from a C360-180-RF mold from the first group buy and both of those are pretty close to the CP boolit you link to. I've found these same loads safe in both the 1894C and a 686, but you need to work up from 10% reduction for safety. I haven't chronographed the 2400 load from a revolver, but the Lil' Gun load will make 1,137 fps from a 4 inch 686.

12.5 grains Alliant 2400, Federal case, CCI 500 primer.
    High - 1,568 fps
    Low - 1,511 fps
    Average- 1,544 fps
    SD- 20 fps
    Kinetic Energy- 953 ft/lbs
    10 shot group- 2.6 inches.
    Comment- This is the same load that I shoot regularly with the GB boolit. POI very close to the same.

14.5 grains Hodgdon Lil' Gun, Federal case, CCI 500 primer.
    High - 1,753 fps
    Low - 1,709 fps
    Average- 1,732 fps
    SD- 13 fps
    Kinetic Energy- 1,200 ft/lbs
    10 shot group- 3.0 inches.
    Comment- Called pull on the shot to the left. Take that one out and it's 2.3 inches. POI shifts dramatically with the hotter load.
    [/

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for sharing the 180gr load info.
    There's plenty of energy coming from your 1894! Decent grouping too.

My Uberti has a Lyman apeture sight, and my groupings were similar to yours @50 yards with some Federal 158gr +p factory ammo, having shot the gun for the first time.

Would that be a 1 / 16" barrel twist in your 1894?

Gotta measure the twist in the Uberti.

Banned

I like 15gr of Lilgun and 180gr cast boolits.

I get around 1700fps and good accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
    Would that be a 1 / 16" barrel twist in your 1894?

Yes sir, 18.5 inches of 1:16 twist.

I wouldn't be surprised if that Lil' Gun load picked up another 100 - 150 fps in the extra 3.5 inches of Uberti barrel. The 2400 load, not so much.

This is with a GB from NOE, the 360-180. !0" TC at 100 yrds. with 14.5 grs. H-108 [ AA#9- WC820] approx. 1500 fps. Have shot it from the TC & FA not out of the ROSSI 92 yet. Should be real good from the leverguns.
    MUGS
    IHMSA 5940L
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    I have that LBT mould and shoot it in a converted Winchester M-92. The rifle was made in '05 so I keep the loads just shy of max published. I like 13 gr of H110 tho I will give acknowledgement to the 15 gr. Lil'Gun. I tried heavier bullets (LBT225 WFN GC) but they wouldn't stablize in my 357 rifles. I have a bored out Martini Cadet that liked the H110 load. Helice

Boolit Buddy
    OK gents.......
    I have loaded up some Cast Performance 180 grain bullets over Lil'gun, federal small pistol primers, in new Winchester .357 mag cases. I crimped a firm roll crimp with a Lee Factory Roll Crimp die. Put the old 550 Dillon to use again.....

Here are the loads that I've loaded:
    13.0 grains
    13.5 grains
    14.0 grains
    14.5 grains
    15.0 grains
    15.2 grains
    15.4 grains
    15.6 grains
    15.8 grains

Going to try the loads tomorrow in the Pedersoli Baby Rolling block .357 mag rifle.

As I try these loads, what will be the FIRST likely sign of too much pressure? I'm thinking a sticky case on extaction? Not a lot of experience with single shots......

Obviously, at the first sign of too much pressure I will cease to progress the load testing.....

Thoughts?

Boolit Buddy
    Burnt some powder today, testing the above loads.
    The grouping was "pretty good" with 13.0 grains of Lil'Gun / 180 gr Cast Performance Bullets / Federal small pistol primers and new Win. cases, firm roll crimp.

It was also "pretty good" with 15.0 grains of Lil'Gun. At 15.2 grains, a primer perforated so I stopped there....... There was also some cratering around the primer hole [ could feel it with my fingernail ] upon firing.

The groups of the loads inbetween these two were poor.

Loaded up some H110 today, with all of the other components being the same as before.
    13.0 grains
    13.5 grains
    14.0 grains
    14.2 grains
    14.4 grains
    14.6 grains
    14.8 grains
    15.0 grains
    15.2 grains

Have a look at Marshal Stanton's [ Beartooth Bullets ] loads on LoadSwap. He's shooting 185 grain .357 mag bullets and a full 16.0 grains of H110. ****! Seems kind hot.
    Thoughts??

http://www.loadswap.com/display.php?...cartridge_id=2

After reading this tread last night I went and tried some stuff out of my Marlin 1894C today.
    I was using the RCBS 180gr silhouette sized at .360" and lubed with speed green. I started at 14.5gr on LIL'GUN and a CCI #550 SPM primer. I slowly worked up till i could fit no more powder in the case. It stopped at 15.8gr. At 15.8 gr It was my most accurate at about 3" at 100 yards. I then tried a Winchester standard SP primer with 15.8gr and it shot even better. I shot a group of just under 2.5" at 100 yards. I have iron sights on mine so I thought that was pretty good.
    Maybe tomorrow I will try some LIL'GUN and some 220gr

Boolit Master

I use 15 grains 296 or H110 with either Hornady XTP's or 180 gr. Remington hollowpoints in my Marlin for a hunting load. The 170 gr. Keith with 13.5 gr. 2400 does well too
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    After reading this tread last night I went and tried some stuff out of my Marlin 1894C today.
    I was using the RCBS 180gr silhouette sized at .360" and lubed with speed green. I started at 14.5gr on LIL'GUN and a CCI #550 SPM primer. I slowly worked up till i could fit no more powder in the case. It stopped at 15.8gr. At 15.8 gr It was my most accurate at about 3" at 100 yards. I then tried a Winchester standard SP primer with 15.8gr and it shot even better. I shot a group of just under 2.5" at 100 yards. I have iron sights on mine so I thought that was pretty good.
    Maybe tomorrow I will try some LIL'GUN and some 220gr

That'd be damn fine shootin at 100 yards open sights!
    Sounds like you have a load about dialed in. Chrony speed?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not sure if the primer that perforated was a result of high pressure or a condition of the soft metal on Federal primers, coupled with a gap around the firing pin.......allowing the primer metal to "flow" into the gap and "crater", thus weakening the primer. No case extraction difficulties, just the primer...... Either way, I felt it prudent to halt further testing.

What do the primers look like from your hotter .357 loads? Flattened? Cratering?

From my days of shooting .357 Max. which calls for a SRP I have switched to SRP's in all my .357 loads. I like Rem. 7 1/2's, they will cure all your primer flow problems. Other reloaders will tell you its a no no. Back off and work your way up just like you would with any component change and you will be fine.
    Mugs
    IHMSA 5940L
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

Ok, I went and shot the 180gr loads though the crony today.

15.8gr of LIL'GUN = 1688

Boolit Buddy
    Burnt some powder today, testing the above loads.
    The grouping was "pretty good" with 13.0 grains of Lil'Gun / 180 gr Cast Performance Bullets / Federal small pistol primers and new Win. cases, firm roll crimp.

It was also "pretty good" with 15.0 grains of Lil'Gun. At 15.2 grains, a primer perforated so I stopped there....... There was also some cratering around the primer hole [ could feel it with my fingernail ] upon firing.

The groups of the loads inbetween these two were poor.

Loaded up some H110 today, with all of the other components being the same as before.
    13.0 grains
    13.5 grains
    14.0 grains
    14.2 grains
    14.4 grains
    14.6 grains
    14.8 grains
    15.0 grains
    15.2 grains

Have a look at Marshal Stanton's [ Beartooth Bullets ] loads on LoadSwap. He's shooting 185 grain .357 mag bullets and a full 16.0 grains of H110. ****! Seems kind hot.
    Thoughts??

http://www.loadswap.com/display.php?...cartridge_id=2

Well after trying these loads [ none of which showed any signs of excess pressure ], I've concluded that my gun / bullet combo likes 14.8gr of H110 This was the best grouping with all 4 of the bullet holes overlapping by approx 50% or better. The other loads showed poor groups, up to 2.25" or more.

It's amazing how just .2 grains of powder can make a HUGE difference in the groups.

All shots were taken from a bench @ 25 yards.

Well after trying these loads [ none of which showed any signs of excess pressure ], I've concluded that my gun / bullet combo likes 14.8gr of H110 This was the best grouping with all 4 of the bullet holes overlapping by approx 50% or better. The other loads showed poor groups, up to 2.25" or more.

It's amazing how just .2 grains of powder can make a HUGE difference in the groups.

All shots were taken from a bench @ 25 yards.

What was the FPS?

Here is a target shot at 100 yards with my Marlin 1894c with iron sights.
    Load was 15.8gr of LIL'GUN
    RCBS 180gr silhouette @.360 Bullshop Speed Green WW
    Winchester Standard Small Pistol
    S&W 357 Mag case
    FPS- 1688
    In the pic is a loaded cartridge and a boolit that I shot into sand.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    What was the FPS?
    Dunno........don't have access to a chrony

Dunno........don't have access to a chrony
    Ok, I might load up a few with that load and run them though my dads crony........if I have any more boolits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast