RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 cavity 155 lee

Boolit Buddy
    Well, if first June is the beginning of ordering season, count me in too. I'm waiting on three custom's now, and had to give a couple of 'em I wanted a bye, money limitations dontcha know? But June 1st provides a useful respite, and I'll take at least one.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    0.313" or 0.314" would be fine as would a bigger meplat, say something the size of the RCBS 308-165-SIL bullet.

Boolit Master

Red face

Hi All!

Can anyone tell me the BC of this bullet with and without the proposed meplat? I doubt it would make a big difference...but I would like to know...

I would hate to trade off a reasonable long distance bullet for a lesser version...

Thanks, Dale

LEE lists the BC of the C312-155-2R as 0.268, its tumble lube brother is at 0.276. A like bullet with a bigger meplat would be a little less.

Boolit Master

Man, this boolit would go great in sssoooooooo many cartridges! .308, 762x39, 762x54r...........yes!

I have a little x39 carbine that just begs for such a boolit!

Cat

Wink

You guys are forcing me to get a 7.62 x 39!

My wife is going to come unglued, but that's OK, there's some Elmer's in the utility room, somewhere!

I'll be back by 6/1 and will order at least one mould.
    Regards,

WE

Red face

Ok...I'm in for sure.....you guys have sure been a bad influence on me in the short time I've been hanging out here!
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Pb head's Avatar
    Wow, did I start something or not!!! I think I'm getting a lot of people in trouble with their better half besides myself. My wife says If I spend anymore money on guns and related items until I get all the stuff I already got this year paid for she gonna leave me. Sure gonna miss her. HA, HA.

Pb head

Super Moderator

..............Wanted to bump this back up to the top and to suggest that if you are interested in this design to be sure and vote in the poll in the 'sticky' thread at the very top of the board.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Cool

I just do not know what to suggest as to the design/changes to the mould for our order.

I have never tried any of the "stock" Lee design, and I only have two .30 mould designs casting ~150 grain boolits, 30-150 RCBS and 311 466 Lyman.

I have several .30 rifles to try it in, including some of the "fat 30" variety that could very well benefit from a slightly larger diameter boolit.

However, my primary thought as regards any change to this design is that a modest meplat would seem to be a benefit for those who may like to hunt with it.

I'll leave it at that.
    Regards,

WE

Question

Quote Originally Posted by C1PNR
    However, my primary thought as regards any change to this design is that a modest meplat would seem to be a benefit for those who may like to hunt with it.

I'll leave it at that.
    Ahhhh....here is yet another opportunity for me to let my limitless ignorance show!

I always thought that when it comes to non-expanding boolits (like this design) that the BIGGER the meplat, the better. I understand that this can limit the accurate range of the round, but for terminal performance, I thought that a great big meplat was best.

Am I wrong?
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayoot
    Ahhhh....here is yet another opportunity for me to let my limitless ignorance show!

I always thought that when it comes to non-expanding boolits (like this design) that the BIGGER the meplat, the better. I understand that this can limit the accurate range of the round, but for terminal performance, I thought that a great big meplat was best.

Am I wrong?
    No, you're not wrong. What he meant was that the LEE bullet has almost no meplat. In this case a "moderate meplat" would be on the order of the RCBS 308-165-SIL or the 308-180-SP. A fat meplat would be somethging like the fat 30. I myself was hopeing for the moderate meplat also. Otherwise the bullet will act like like a solid and do very little damage to a critter.

Here we go again picking our noses. This one has almost no meplat. Wonder if it was designed by Michael Jackson after many attempts to come up with a pleasing nose?

Boolit Master
    Go putting much of a meplat on it and you're taking about a different bullet, one that probably won't work through the semi-autos this bullet was designed for. You're also off into unknown territory about accuracy.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Question

Is it this C.E.Harris design?:

If it is, keep it very close to original and organizer will need to figure out how to ship one internationally... It's easy, don't worry, hehe.

Super Moderator

...........There appears to be pleanty enough interest for this 6 cavity custom Lee to have legs. It has worked so well for so many that I think the poll fairly shows that the current 'known' design is what most folks want:

Current design, no changes (14) 46.67%
    Current design, moderate meplat [8] 26.67%
    Current design, .314" x .304" (1) 3.33%
    Current but .314"x.304" + meplat (7)

Also consider that besides the 14 wanting it as is, 8 want is as is, with the exception of a moderate meplat. As all who've used the mould know, it's a spitzer without a sign of a flat. I am thinking that those who would like to use this slug for hunting purposes could readily put a flat on it.

After all, in that scenario you won't be shooting a bunch of'em, and most likely relatively few would be required in load development. There are several ways to put a FN on a slug but the simplist requires only a vise, a piece of scrap steel of 1/8 to 1/4" thick and a file.

Say your piece of scrap steel is 1" wide (width isn't critical except to be wider then your file). Determine how wide a flat you want and drill a hole that size in the steel, in the middle. Taper the underside of the hole to approximate the radius of the ogive. You don't HAVE to taper the hole, it's just a nice touch. Set your loaded cartridge on blocking, (to raise the boolit midway of the jaw) on the arm of the vise and set the hole of your guide (steel scrap) down over the boolit's nose. Close the visejaws and file the nose flat. I suspect that 2 a minute wouldn't be a big deal to accomplish. Probably more time would be spent carding the lead out of the file teeth then anything else

In this way the 14 who want it as is are satisfied and the 8 wanting a meplat can have it. Nothing much to be done about having a fat one, but the initial attraction WAS to have it as we're used to having it. If everyone who voted for the as is design and with a meplat went for it that's 22 orders right now.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

All that you really need to do is shorten up the nose a little to get a meplat with no change to anything that contacts the bore. I've shot alot of RCBS 308-165-SIL in the SKS. It was a little to small in diameter and a little to long in length, but it worked each and every time. If I take out a rifle, I want to be able to hunt or plink as opportunities arise, not having to switch loads.

HONCHO EMERITUS

Thumbs up

If we're gonna go through with this in a 6 cavity as originally designed (.312" as cast from wheelweights, right?) then I'll go for two of these when it comes time to send the check.

-Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Pb head's Avatar
    I feel don't fix what ain't broke. Lee's design works really well for me , I just want to produce them faster.

Pb head

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

6 cavity mould & Newbie Hello

Hello! I'm the new guy here. Count me in as well. Well how much is it we're looking at here? The only moulds I have are round ball for .32 & .50, a maxi & a real 320grain mould. I have a K31, a Krag sporter, an old Win 94, an Ishapore Enfield in .308, and a 96 Swede & 7x57 Argentine mauser. I've got the Lee 10lb pot, and I'm ready to use it. I've been collecting the dies as I go, now just need the press/sizer/brass tools & I'll be ready!
    I'm a disabled vet, pulled 7 yrs in the Marine Corps. I missed the action, but it still was a high price. Now I'm working on a degree & my gun collection. On the side, I set up small businesses for success. I hope to make my rifles sing with my own lead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast