MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

View Poll Results: When Tumble Lubing - Do you Stand-em Up or Leave-em Lay after you pour them out?

Voters
439. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stand-em Up

204 46.47%
  • Leave-em Lay

235 53.53%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tumble Lube Poll - Stands-em UP or Leave-em Lay?

I am not sure so I stood up 200 and let 200 just sit on there sides. I will test both and see if there is a difference. The ones I stood up look more evenly lubricated ,it seems. I will try both out and see what the diff if any is.
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Bub
    Just cooked up my first batch of the JPW/LLA/MS recipe, and after about 3 hours they're already way less tacky than prior ones with straight LLA and 24 hours of rest . AND after about three times of the ol' falling domino trick, I'm a re-confirmed leave lay on the waxed paper kind of guy....

+1 for the MMORRIS method.

I use tumble lube exclusively. I shoot 219 zipper, 30-30, 30 carbine, 7.62x39, 6.5x55, 8mm, and pistol calibers from 32 acp to 45 colt. I cast all my bullets and do not size any. Period.

Also, I use the LLA and JPW 45-45-10 mix. (JPW will ignite above 350 degrees even on a hotplate so keep that temp down and a wet towel handy.)

I cut a one gallon milk jug off three inches from the bottom and this makes a great bowl to tumble lube in because it is square, and has groves in the bottom. This shape encourages the bullets to tumble.

Don't quit reading yet!

I also made a drying rack from 1/4 inch wire mesh so I wouldn't have to stand the bullets on end. I just tumble and dump on the rack overnight.

With this method I can tumble and dump approximately 150 in under a minute and fit up to 500 on the rack. (450 in less than 3 minutes)

Now I don't shoot 600 yard targets but I do shoot USPSA/IDPA which means I shoot a lot. I load for under 1200 fps in my pistols AND rifles with lead.

1. FAST
    2. NOT MESSY
    3. CHEAP
    4. EASY
    5. NO LEADING

LEAVE-UM-LAY.

I have found no reason to do anything else. It works very well for the type of shooting I do.

Boolit Buddy
    I lube them in a zip lock bag shaken not stirred
    then just leave them in the bag untill they get to know one-another and I'm ready to use them .This method seems to make them group better because the want to stay together.

Boolit Master

When casting, let em lay.

When lubing, lube, then stand in a container.

Boolit Master

I used to leave em lay. Then I tried standing em up. Can't say I've seen any difference....
    Started using the new Star a couple of weeks ago. My LT ing days might be over enjoy Mike

When I started TLing I stood em up, but now I let em lay. Swirl em in a gladware dish with 45-45-10 and dump em onto a dollar store cookie sheet. Shake em around a bit to separate and let em sit. I don't have a lot of boolits stored, but the ones I do have are unlubed so sticking together isn't an issue.

Moderator Emeritus

Leave 'em Lay
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I really like the look of the nice even bullet when I stand them up.

But I am busy and lazy, so generally I let them lay.

Boolit Master
    When I use Lee Liquid Alox, I stand them up on their bases on wax paper for a day, and then knock them over on their sides to let the bases dry. By standing them up I can fit more bullets on the wax paper and I think it makes a neater job. I also wear disposable latex gloves as it is very difficult to clean the alox off your fingers. Good for bullets, bad for fingers.

Boolit Master
    If you put on so much lube that you want to stand them up so the lube drains from the nose of bullet, you are using WAY TOO MUCH LUBE. All I do is a light shuffle of the bullets around a casserole dish and they just look shiny afterwards. I dump them onto aluminum foil (haven't got any wax paper, but I have lots of Aluminum foil) to dry for 12-24 hours. When I remove the bullets, there is virtually zero LLA on the aluminum.
    If I was going to waste my time standing them up, I would dip lube.

Boolit Master
    big uns stand up littleuns lay flat

In Remembrance

Statistically, you're gonna load the bullets with the slight edge with the lesser amount of lube randomly in your brass anyways. That is, no two in a row will ever be aligned exactly the same.

Add to that the fact that you're gonna load the rounds in your gun randomly also. That is, no two in a row will ever be aligned exactly the same.

So, you'll always have some lube somewhere in the barrel to assist with sliding those bullets down the pipe.

I say, "Be a clown, and lay 'em down"....

Meaning... have some fun in reloading, rather than deal with the pain of standing them up....

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    being new to casting as whole,, I elected to tumble lube with 45-45 -10, and stand them up, along with wiping off the base after dry. For me the whole process is a labor of love, so to speak. And I'm not off to win time trials. Consistancy and accuracy is my main goal..
    Dave

Boolit Grand Master
    About 700 pieces of LEE .452 TLSWC on Sat. and Sun. Lubed some yesterday, I'll be loading tomorrow AM. Let them all lay, rolled them around after several hours, dry for the rest of the day.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold

Both ways

I do it both ways..........

Dollop of Johnson paste wax and squirt of Lee liquid alox. Mix in plastic ziplock bag with bullets, mix together then STAND BULLETS UP. The lube is very uniform and even.

Rooster jacket bullet lube; I put a 6" coil spring in a funnel with my finger on the bottom of the funnel sealing the end. The spring is so the bullets don't plug up the end of the funnel and lube drains back into bottle easy. Fill the funnel with Rooster lube covering the bullets then move finger off end of funnel and let lube drain back into Rooster lube bottle for a few minutes. Dump bullets from funnel on to raised wire screen and let dry. Rooster not gummy like Lee liquid alox and will not have large deposits on one side of bullet like alox when bullet leaned over. Wire screen or hardware cloth key in drying Rooster. Put spacers under screen for air flow.

Boolit Mold

Both ways

I do it both ways..........

Dollop of Johnson paste wax and squirt of Lee liquid alox. Mix in plastic ziplock bag with bullets, mix together then STAND BULLETS UP. The lube is very uniform and even.

Rooster jacket bullet lube; I put a coil spring in a funnel with my finger on the bottom of the funnel sealing the end. The spring is so the bullets don't plug up the end of the funnel and lube drains back into bottle easy. Fill the funnel with Rooster lube covering the bullets then move finger off end of funnel and let lube drain back into Rooster lube bottle for a few minutes. Dump bullets from funnel on to wire screen and let dry. Rooster not gummy like Lee liquid alox and will not have large deposits on one side of bullet like alox when bullet leaned over. Wire screen or hardware cloth key in drying Rooster.

Boolit Master
    If you are getting LLA "pooling up" on the wax paper or aluminum foil, you are using WAY too much LLA.
    There are no "flat spots" on my bullets after they dry 24 hours on their side on aluminum foil.

Leave 'em lay. I started by standing them up--talk about tedious! Then only stood them up when in a hurry and drying with a hair drier. Then I figured out it works just as well, if not better, to just swirl them in the lube bowl under the hair drier. Even coating, dries fast, load and shoot. Save the OCD stuff for things than matter--like powder charging.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Buddy
    Married with 2 kids. I don't have extra time to stand 4-500 boolits up.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast