Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: When Tumble Lubing - Do you Stand-em Up or Leave-em Lay after you pour them out?

Voters
439. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stand-em Up

204 46.47%
  • Leave-em Lay

235 53.53%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tumble Lube Poll - Stands-em UP or Leave-em Lay?

Boolit Buddy
    First several batches I stood up with tweezers. Now I let them lie until they dry.

I am so glad to read this thread about letting them lay. I think standing them up is the one part of reloading that I detest. I just came in from covering my entire parts washer lid with stood up bullets and while I was doing it I was mentally whining about it. The next batch will definitely by the tumble and pour method. Thanks Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dolang1 View Post
    I am so glad to read this thread about letting them lay. I think standing them up is the one part of reloading that I detest. I just came in from covering my entire parts washer lid with stood up bullets and while I was doing it I was mentally whining about it. The next batch will definitely by the tumble and pour method. Thanks Don
    That's crazy! I always use my parts washer lid as a drying platform for my tumble-lube boolits too! Great minds......

Gear

Boolit Master

I started by standing them up in nice neat rows. The last several batches have been poured out and left laying down to dry. I do take the time to make sure none are touching when laying down.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Buddy
    It's interesting that the majority of the written responses seem to be slanted to the lay-em down and most of the actual poll results seem to be stand-em up. I can see and agree with the valid reasons for doing either, its just interesting to compare.

I'm Lazy. I leave them where they fall. But I do spread them out so them are not on top of each other. I am put them in the oven on "warm" for about an hour. The lube is hard and dry: No stocky mess.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    I'm really lazy, I guess. I tumble them in a plastic bowl of some kind, and don't even dump 'em out on wax paper, just leave them in the bowl. Every now and then I give it another shake as they're drying in the bowl. I probably overlube, looking into that, experimenting with less and less lube. Some very advanced casters have had good results with no lube at all.

SO, will a water dropped boolit continue to harden if it is covered with LLA? I heard someone say it would not, but I didn't think it was a function of air.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    SO, will a water dropped boolit continue to harden if it is covered with LLA? I heard someone say it would not, but I didn't think it was a function of air.
    It's not, it's a function of temp. Wouldn't matter if it's air temp or lube temp, it's how fast it cools.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Let em lay.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    It's spontaneous recrystallization occurring within the alloy at room temperature (or whatever temperature it's at.) Doesn't have anything to do with air. If you want to quickly get it to a stable hardness level (slightly less hard than it would eventually reach at room temperature), heat the boolits to 200°F for 1-2 hours right after you quench them. Next day they'll be at a stable hardness, ready to go. Would take from one to several weeks at room temperature. If you use heat in the lubrication or lube drying process as many have said they do, realize that heating likely affects the hardening cycle of heat treated alloys. Not a bad thing, just something to be aware of.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I just dump them and let them dry however they fall. The whole point to tumble lubing is to do it fast. If I were to take each one and hand dip it, or even worse take the slimy wet devils and take time to stand each of them upright, I'd be at it just as long as with a lube sizer- so then I'd just use the lube sizer.

Haven't noticed any problems other than cosmetic and I'm not that picky.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    The whole point to tumble lubing is to do it fast.
    Exactly.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

I tumble them, let them lay.
    A day or two later turn them over.
    When totally dry, recoat them.
    When dry with a second coat, load and shoot.
    The second coat reduces leading.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    SEMPER FI

If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

In Remembrance
    Life is way too short as it is.

Let 'em lay.

Boolit Master
    New to this game..but..Iv'e tried both ways.
    Standing is a sticky messy affair the way I do it and they get knocked which my fumbling fingers and thumbs.

I let lay as they fall on greaseproof paper.
    I think I've gone back to over using the Lee alox.
    Thay have a streak when they sit on the paper of etrxa lube.
    After they are dried over night.
    I collect them all the put them in a thick plastic sandwich bag or what ever and rub them with my hands ..put them out in the sun for a bit till it gets hot and rub or slosh around a bit more.
    Seems to even the lube out and takes some of the lube off. Seem to shoot good.

When I size I use didshwashing liquid straight after they come out of the mold.
    Seems easier if youv'e water quenched some wheel weights before they set hard the next week or so...

As usual I maybe quite wrong!!

Barra

Boolit Grand Master

I also couldn't vote because I use both methods. I stnd them if I feel like it or don't have allot. If I have allot I just leave them lay. I do move them around when they are drying though every so often. It helps them dry quicker and helps then dry with less of a flat spot on them.
    Aim small, miss small!

I also just rollem and dumpem But a little tick I found is instead of using wax paper or whatnot I use a piece of metal lath or coarse screen or mesh.it allows the LLA to dry quicker and more evenly the entire way around the boolit without it puddling were its laying on the wax paper.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

Standing them up defeats the whole purpose of film lube... Speed.

Boolit Master
    For several batches I stood them up -- either I thought they would dry better, or looked cool, not sure which now. I got tired of that and tried laying them on wax paper, with a little space between each. I couldn't tell the difference.

Randy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast