Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: When Tumble Lubing - Do you Stand-em Up or Leave-em Lay after you pour them out?

Voters
439. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stand-em Up

204 46.47%
  • Leave-em Lay

235 53.53%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tumble Lube Poll - Stands-em UP or Leave-em Lay?

Boolit Buddy

Tumble Lube Poll - Stands-em UP or Leave-em Lay?

Just started casting and lubing and was wondering who Stands-em UP and who Leaves-em Lay?

Boolit Master

I like to see a nice even coat of mule snot all the way around the boolit.
    It probably doesn't make the slightest difference anyhow.
    I do believe that the boolits might dry a little faster standing where the air can circulate around them.
    It is easier to count them into even 50 or 100 lots if I'm only doing a few.

Jack

Boolit Master

I couldn't answer the poll as I use both techniques. I dip the big bullets and stand them up and those than I cannot grip, let them lay. I dust them with mica before storage and don't worry about them sticking to each other.
    Michael

Moderator Emeritus
    I stand them up.

I like the challenge of wrestling them upright with a pair of tweezers.

Its nice to be neat.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

I let em lay on heavy foil, so I can pick them all up at once. Usually I dust with mica too. Standing them up seems like a lot of effort for no reward.
    Last edited by DanM; 11-13-2009 at 05:28 PM.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Master
    I want all the lube on the sides and none on the base.

Base first on wax paper.

Three 44s

I'd like to stand them up,, but lately I've left them lie. I do like the uniform fill that fills the groves stood up on base allows.

I swirl lube with melted JPW. Then I scoop them out of the melted lube with a slotted spoon and dump them into the plastic storage bowl I use to keep the JPW in before I remelt it for lubing, and pick the boolits out and stand them up on wax paper to dry.
    Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

I just let em lie, but now I'm thinking maybe try em standing up. It would atleast give me a balanced opinion on the subject.

Boolit Master

Quick n dirty - get er done!

I used to take time to stand them all up, but the last few batches I've just dumped on wax paper, and tried to keep a little space between them. They seemed to have dried just as fast, and work just as well.

This seems analogous to me starting my wheel weight 'smelting' by carefully sorting them, and now just dumping everything in as a low melt temp and skimming frequently.

Time is limited for me, so anything that I do to reduce the amount of time for these tasks leaves me more time to enjoy other aspects of this hobby.

Randy

Pan luber, standem up
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    I lubed my first batch last night and took the time to stand them up, while I was standing them up I wondered what everyone else did and if there was a good reason to stand-em up or not. Hence the poll I posted this morning. This has been a great sight and I can honestly say that I never would have gotten into casting if it had not been for the information on this sight.

Mark

Boolit Grand Master

Stand em up. I followed the old RD dip method and just never got around to changing my way.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    I stand them up but have never done more than a hundred or so at a time. So when I have a larger batch to do I may try letting them lie. I might move them a bit after a couple of hours to they don't develope a thick spot.

Then I might compare them with some standing boolits in the same load to see if there is a difference.

Boolit Bub
    Dip and stand.

Banned

I voted for stand, which I do for most of my tl application, but with the Lee microgroove .45 TC I shoot a pile of in my 1911's I've found it makes absolutely zero difference which way, so I save myself an hour of my life every time I lube a thousand and just pour 'em out, smear 'em down to one layer with a spatula, and walk away 'till they're dry.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    I've tried it both ways. No difference in performance. Why take the time and mess to stand them up.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Since I bought a Lyman 4500 I size and lube them and stand them on their bases with a little space in between them overnight so the lube hardens up some. them I dump them into a labeled plastic container for storage. I found out by doing it this way the lube doesn't stick to other boolits and pull off.
    NRA Life Member

Lube em and leave em laying on their side. I drop em in the Oven on 200 for 10 minutes then pull them. The Alox is really hard and dry in about 2 hrs. Works great for the boolits I use in my 9mm, my 41 gets lube/sized boolits with LBT.

Boolit Buddy
    I leave 'em lay on heavy wax paper. Then I size 'em, seat the checks and relube. I leave 'em lay again. I stood up one batch several years ago, I won't need to do that again. It was just an extra step, a messy one at that, to no noticeable benefit.

I have not noticed my boolits sticking together once they've dried so I see no benefit in dusting with any anti-sticking agents.

Your mileage, as always, may vary.

Gerry N.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast