Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: home built checks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I use the Free Chex II. It can be bought on eBay. Someone here on the board makes them too.
    35W
    Pat Marlin makes them here on the forum and his are top notch from what I hear. Give him a holler.

Joe

Boolit Master
    Better "check" yourself

I picked up one of the freechex tools and I love it. Works great!! Seems to be a good investment.
    Gravity is not just a good idea........ ITS THE LAW!!!
    How can i soar like an Eagle.... When I am surrounded by Turkeys!!!!

Boolit Master
    cool..........................and now you have more money for...............................more shooting. Excellent how this so called "junk" works.

I'm sold. I'm getting one this week. Thanks for all the great posts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    I see many posts about the home made checks . Why would anyone waste time makeing checks that are not near as good as GATOR checks . You cant be that damn tight. I would rather spend my time casting than making junk.
    Don't know about "gator" but I'd as soon spend my limited reloading budget on primers and powder than be ripped off for the price of Hornady GC's!!! I see a Freecheck tool on my horizon.....Dennis

Earlier this year, I bought a Freechex II in 30 cal off Fleabay. As it's the only gas check maker I've ever used, I can't compare it to the rest. However, I can say that it makes them with relatively little effort and is FUN to do! The ones I've made look good and fit the base of my boolit very tightly after running them through the lube sizer.

So, it's so far, so good. Haven't got a chance to see how they fly, as I don't have as much time on my hands as I would like.

When I get a chance, maybe I'll remember to let ya'll know the results!

Boolit Buddy
    Where are you guys getting these Freechex tools? I checked ebay and came up empty.
    As an aside, I just bought some Hornady .338 gas checks from Midsouth for $23.24....not as cheap as gator checks but not all that bad.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zipdog View Post
    Where are you guys getting these Freechex tools? I checked ebay and came up empty.
    As an aside, I just bought some Hornady .338 gas checks from Midsouth for $23.24....not as cheap as gator checks but not all that bad.

Pm Pat Marlin here on the forum. He makes a quality check making tool.

Joe

Boolit Master

I make a lot of my own "junk" from my own gas checks and rifles, to many of the tools I work with every day. Why some may ask? ßecause I can and most of what I make works better than what I can buy. I'm not a tight wad nor am I broke, I just like making my own things. It gives me personal satisfaction to know that I don't need to depend on others to aquire the things I need. To go a step farther, some of the .things I make are considered quite primitive. My arrows are homemade with my own personally knapped flint broadheads,and out of my hand made bow will shoot with most of the high dollar compounds on the market. My personal security knife is made of flint with a rawhide handle. It's 4 inch blade will shave hair, and it walks through security checkpoints unmolested by the minimum wage Nazi's that man them. Primitive "junk" and a waste of time just like my gas checks. I just know that if things ever get bad I don't need to depend on any one.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,
    Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    Boerrancher.
    Very well put. I also make a lot of my own junk and find it very satisfying.. I not only make my own checks but also make my own junk to make the checks. I find satisfaction in this that I don't get buying someone elses stuff. To each his own!!!

Well, talking about making JUNK, after the Holidays I am going to try to make my own gas check maker. Well the first one will more than likely be junk, but by the 4th or 5th one it might work. Oh, and I will have FUN trying even if it doesn;t work!! Isn't that the whole idea of what we all are doing---- having fun. an old man's view

Boolit Master
    wistlepig
    You have nailed it. It has long been my motto "If it ain't fun don't do it." Some of the junk I make has been just that, usless junk. But it was still fun trying. Other junk has worked out very well sometimes providing hours of entertainment at usually a very low cost. Sometimes the simplest toys are the most fun, like a home made check maker. Some people just don't get it, but thats fine too. I find if I have to explain why I do the things I do to others, they are not going to understand anyway.

rBuck,

that's the way I have looked at it my 62 years and think I am happier for it. When I was a teenager I took of fly tieing, and to this day I still can see that first nice Brown that feel for it. The truth is it was a piece of JUNk compared to the ones at a store, just try to explan that to someone that hasn't even built a outhouse!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wistlepig1 View Post
    rBuck,

that's the way I have looked at it my 62 years and think I am happier for it. When I was a teenager I took of fly tieing, and to this day I still can see that first nice Brown that feel for it. The truth is it was a piece of JUNk compared to the ones at a store, just try to explan that to someone that hasn't even built a outhouse!
    .............try to explain that to someone who has never USED an outhouse.........................

<GRIN>

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    I have used a couple of outhouses that were built by people that really didn't know how. They were still better than letting it all hang out at 20 below. My mama used to say "beggers can't be choosers" Buck

Thonotosassa, Florida/ Pensacola, N. Carolina
    I remember that my grandparents had a four holer in their backyard. I never could figure out why. I mean , what are the odds that four people would need to go at the same time, or better yet, would want to!!!!!!!

Boolit Bub

free chex11

from what I have read so far, soon as they are on the market I will be buying 22 cal 243cal 30 cal 8mm well you get the picture so long J boolits
    Don t shooting and happy

Quote Originally Posted by Philngruvy View Post
    I remember that my grandparents had a four holer in their backyard. I never could figure out why. I mean , what are the odds that four people would need to go at the same time, or better yet, would want to!!!!!!!
    My mother was raised as the oldest of 7 sisters. She used to tell of the mad dash to the outhouse about bedtime and again first thing in the morning. The lantern only got lit once and you'd best be on the potty train when it pulled out of the station or you went alone in the dark. A 4 holer was a real luxury!

As to the gas checks. I stopped at the local emporium of all evil this afternoon. 30 Cal gas checks were $35 a box. I've got used aluminum flashing that was free for the hauling. RD
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123